1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

MyToos.com is it that bad????

Discussion in 'Cockatoo Causeway' started by Ariel, 5/19/17.

1. Ariel

Ariel Meeting neighbors

Ariel
    Hi their to all the cockatoo lovers, I have 5 year old African grey currently and I’m on and off thinking of adopting or buying from someone a cockatoo form an owner that can’t take care of one anymore.
    I believe in adopting or buying from current owners.
    I know they are probably the hardest parrots to take care of, I’m looking into a Galah, Citron or Sulphur-crested,
    My question is, I came across a web site called All About Cockatoos - MyToos.com and it seems like they should not be kept at pets at all even if you know what you’re doing. What you guy think of this site?
    Are they just bringing all the bad and worst stories ever?
    After looking at this site even if I was an expert in toos I would not want to have one.

2. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Mary Lynn Skinner
    @JLcribber

Yes, maybe, maybe not. Realize that the opinions on MyToos are just that, opinions. If John answers this thread, he will also tell you that Cockatoos should not be pets. But I believe he will also agree that these birds you intend to look at are already pets and deserve a good home just like any other parrot.

3. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jen
    I personally think that MyToos.com tries to give you the worst possible view of them to scare you off and there are times where they can be that bad or you can run into a bird who just wasn't raised right and can be a nightmare or you may just not be a Cockatoo person and cannot be the owner a Cockatoo needs. It's hard to say. I've met wonderful 'toos and I've met 'toos that were hell on wheels. I've met owners who are nightmares and should not own 'toos and I've met amazing 'too owners. The only thing I can really tell you is that you can read and read and read about them forever and you can learn about them forever and you can visit them all you wan and you will never be prepared for them until you actually own one!:) But, for the right person, they will steal your heart!:heart:

4. Laylatoo

Laylatoo Walking the driveway

I think they are not a good choice for everyone but for those that have the correct expectations and time to do it right they can be a perfect companion bird. I know I couldn't have a large white cockatoo. So my experience is with smaller toos. I had a goffin-bare eyed hybrid that passed tragically in a cage toy accident. He was an awesome little guy. No aggression ever, playful, high maintenance, was not good at self entertainment. When he was out of his cage he was on us. loud at times and he fit in perfectly to our large family. We adored him and he adored all of us. Recently I acquired Layla who is a young (about 3 years old) galah. I am her third home and she was purchased from a Craigslist seller. I feel so lucky that she is extremely well adjusted and has zero issues. Her previous owners both loved her dearly but life circumstances got in the way. Layla is much different than my previous boy. She is relatively quiet but has her loud playful times during the day. She's hilarious and intelligent, She is very independent and loves to play on her play stands. Goes through shreddable toys like its her job. She is picky about who she likes. I was surprised how outgoing and brave she was from day one. She never was fearful, was ready to step up and be part of the family right away. She's messy and gets my attention for hours and hours everyday. Doesn't like being in her cage so she is only there for sleeping. I feel like I am a good person to have a high maintenance bird. I'm 38, have a very flexible part time job (real estate photographer. If I don't want to work I don't work and my income is only my play money). I'm home basically all day every day. We have 4 kids and cockatoos seem to thrive in large families. They love being a part of our everyday happenings. Laylas personality is ideal for me. I fell in love with her and put a deposit on a baby with a breeder shortly after bringing her home. So all in all, cockatoos are great.....for some people. It's a huge commitment and they are emotional animals that can literally be doomed and ruined if you don't fully commit.

5. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Shawna
    I am one of those that think most cockatoos (specifically the large ones) should not be as pets. They are wild animals ill suited for most homes. I do agree that if you are looking at a cockatoo the best is to adopt.

6. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    I have read thru that site and I have helped rescued Toos. it takes a very determined person to own them, IMO. this is what I have seen in my short experience, you have to let them learn to play by themselves. you can not allow them to become Velcro birds, otherwise when you are gone for things like work, school, a family visit, they can destroy their cages, their feathers, their skin. with other birds; they can be bullies one second and sweet cuddle bugs the next. if you have neighbors, be prepared for possible phone calls to you about noise.
    I will give you example, one of the vet surgery nurses "G" at my cousin's vet clinic has 4 coocktoos, Ralph, a huge Umbie, M, Gypsy another Umbie, F, Buzzer a G2, M, and Missy a M2, F. Ralph is one person bird, the only person he truly loves is "G" s husband, Joe. any other person, in Ralph's life, can take long walk on short dock into deep water.:bignono: He will lunge, hiss and take bite out of you, cuz you are not his person. Gypsy, is pretty mellow but not when she has eggies, OH BOY!!!! :faint: she ultra protective of her babies real or imaginary. and the only person that can handle her, is "G" during those times. Buzzer, lived someplace where there was door buzzer that chimed if someone walked thru the door. you can hear him for blocks chiming, beeping & buzzing. Then there is Missy the last rescue to "G" 's house. she can be super sweet and loving, but honey when she is mad, watch out. she also lived where there was burglar alarm that must have went off a lot. and she learned that call very well. when she is ticked off, this is her " I am getting TICKed and if you don't answer my needs right now, you know what I will do!!!" she has cost her loving family $900.00 in false burglar alarm calls from the city they live in. She now goes to work with "G" everyday.
    3 of these birds are rescues, Ralph's former owner died leaving Ralph to his 12 year old great nephew. when the kid was bitten badly, Ralph had to find a new home ASAP. Gypsy was hand raised by "G" from a chick. Buzzer was found outside the clinic in tiny cage, sick and malnourished. Missy came from abandon hoarder's house, she ate her way thru hollow core door trying to find food and water.
    I have worked with other toos, also. Some are plucked, some are cuddle bugs, some are noisy to the point your ears want to bleed, some just want to have their toys and food and I am fine, some are Velcro birds that have to be on you 24/7/365. every bird is different. my belief is this; before you jump into the Cockatoo waters go volunteer at a rescue that is mostly toos in all forms and sizes, do this for 6+months then decide if a Too is your heart bird.
    ETA: if you choose to adopt, please remember that bird is going to bring it's own emotional baggage with it to your house and you get to work out that jumbled puzzle out into a loving friend.

Last edited: 5/19/17
    Shyra and Just-passn-thru like this.
  7. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Michelle
    I am a too novice. I've been fostering one since March. I always said I would never have a too. They are too much bird for me, etc. Well, my goffin is so not what I expected. He is very, very gentle. Plays just fine on his own. And is unbelievably smart. Now I realize that we may be still riding out a honeymoon period, but I don't think so. I think that's him. So I think as with all birds, each is different and you can't lump them all together and say well, a bird is this way or that way. Now granted my too is older- at least 25, we don't know the exact age. So we've passed the hormonal growing into a big bird years. He can be loud. Not as loud as bigger toos, but loud. And when he wants to scream, he screams. For as long as he wants. Which thankfully, is usually not that long. And he's smart and funny. Not as cuddly as I would have expected, but likes a good head scratch. And I think honestly cockatoos aren't for most people. But I also think parrots aren't for most people. And I truly think parrots should never have been kept as pets to begin with- no matter the type. But they are and we can't change that. We can only provide the best homes we can for them. So, if you're interested in a too, the best thing you can do is go and meet some and spend some time with one. You'll know then if a too is right for you or not.

8. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    I agree...100%
    Again, I totally agree. Adoption is not just the best way...it's the ONLY way...

9. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    They are the worst pets because they aren't pets. They're needy, emotional, destructive, aggressive and all consuming. They live as long as you do. There is no out after a few years. If you're not willing to devote your life to the well being of your bird(s) and revolve your life around what they need just as you would a child you're in for a lot of heartache/stress and more than likely regret. You need (because they need) lots of time, lots of space, stability and money or it will become a struggle emotionally long term.

Anyone who truly loves birds should not "want" to cage a bird merely for their own selfish human indulgence.

10. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    There isn't anybody out there that knows what they're doing with a big cockatoo when they first get them because it's not something you can learn in a book. You have to go through it (for years) to truly understand it. Once you do it becomes very self evident. A small percentage of the population looks after their pets well. A small percentage of those people make good parrot owners. And only a very small percentage of those owner have what it takes to look after a cockatoo. That's not very many good homes for "millions" of cockatoos out there.

There sure isn't any reason to breed them other than greed.

11. JLcribber

John
    Chuck and I don't speak to each other. Well I would speak to Chuck but he doesn't love me anymore for some reason. :(

Hankmacaw and rocky'smom like this.
  12. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    Amen...

rocky'smom likes this.
  13. Tyrion

Tyrion Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Annette Thompson
    I havent been a Too slave for long but I have had Too experience for a few years before one became a flock member ...Ghost is just a wee lil Too but that doesnt mean he is any different from a large one as far as Im concerned ....he screams ..bites..and has an attitude problem ...not nearly as much as when he first came to live with me ..but its much more than any of my other birds ...Toos are a different species all together and if I knew then what I know now I might not have gotten lil Ghost ..but I would never give him up because he seems to fit in to the flock in some sort of weird way ...and I love the lil guy ...they get into you hearts but you have to be ready for the unthinkable with Toos ..they are not like other birds ...they are like the black sheep of the family ...I am constantly trying to think outside of the box for toys and things for him to do ...he is so very smart ...you have to spend time with some Toos to see if they suit you before you take the plunge because so many have been taken in by their looks and then been discarded because of their attitude and personality...:huh:

14. melissasparrots

melissasparrots Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mytoos is simultaneously pure hogwash and a reality check. The cockatoos are just fine. But if you have a personal weakness as a human being or within the relationships of your family, a cockatoo can make all that emotional garbage you think you have a handle on but really don't all that much worse. It causes people to fail their bird. You don't go into cockatoo ownership thinking I Want. You should be thinking What do I have to give? If you live with others, make sure the weakest link in the family can handle it without a meltdown and ultimatums when life gets hard. Cockatoos are awesome. It's the people that kind of suck.

Skrub04, jmfleish, JLcribber and 4 others like this.
  15. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    That is what I believe in too. Only a small amount of us people can handle the job it is to have a parrot.
    And when my friends (new and old) ask me how it is to have a parrot I always give them the worst scenery. Never the good things, always the bad.
    Because if you can't handle the bad things you will never see the goods.
    And in the end they say to me, but if they are so demanding and are the worst "pet" in the world, why are you having yours?
    And that is so simple to answer - because I love them! ♥

So I think it's good to give people that thinking of getting a parrot the worst scenery, but if we still want one, of course adopt one, and chose the specie that suits you the most.
    And that can be a cockatoo, or a budgie, who knows?

16. galah!

galah! Walking the driveway

Pia
    i stumbled across that website a while ago, and i must say, they make cockatoos sound like Satin's minions! Yes, they are definitely not suited to beginners, but by the sound of it, you ain't no beginner;)
    if you really want a 'Too, then go for it! All those cockies in shelters need a loving, knowledgeable owner, you seem to fit the bill!:)

17. Shyra

Shyra Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

There are a lot of threads about cockatoos here. I would suggest reading through them, especially "the good, the bad, and the ugly" cockatoo threads. I'm not one to believe that all large cockatoos should not be pets but do think some species are more challenging than others. It definitely takes a special type of person/family to share their life with these birds and there is no shame to admit that you may not be a good fit.

18. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jen
    Michelle, do you have the option to adopt your little ball of white fluff and if you do, do you think you might?:)

19. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Michelle
    LOL. I think it's a strong possibility.......

20. jmfleish

Jen
    :swoon::cheer::smileflower:

sunnysmom, Eloy and Just-passn-thru like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)