• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mynah Comes Home Today !

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Oh my gosh I love him!! What a sweetie face :D Mynahs are so fun!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for the education! I love Moe Joe's name :)

It's he eating well for you today?

He is eating well,but the airlines mishandled him so he has reverted to wanting to be fed. He will be okay though . Other than that he is in perfect condition.
Thanks..a little play on the word mojo:D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for the kind words all:hug8:

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
He's lovely!!! So tiny!

I have a common mynah called Spock, he/she is around 2 now and the bare skin around her eyes is just starting to turn yellow. She's lovely, but does not say a word!!! Although she chats gobbledygook all day long! She was quite a bit older than yours when I had her and aviary raised so it was less likely she would talk.

Yours is a cutie! Can't wait to see how you get on.

I feed Spock Mynah food that I buy online or from big parrot shows. She loves it and eats some fruits too, but prefers her complete food.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hey cool Nice to know there's someone else here with one. Moe Joe is eating nearly everything I have offered so far. Today he took some mealworms very easily. I feed him mazuri pellets and a high quality soaked dog food. Today he had several types of fruit as well. Banana,red grape, blueberries, nectarine, and papaya. Just tiny bits. Oh and a little boiled egg.

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
Oh yeah, Spock will do anything for a meal worm! Do you give him live ones? Be careful with dog food, you have to be very careful with iron content and it won't be controlled in dog food. I think citrus fruits encourage the storage of iron too so I don't give her any.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Need more pics! :laughing12:

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
How cuddly is he?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hey all. Moe Joe is doing great. I am feeding him as the breeder has instructed me to. There's not much info out there. I also have a food coming from overseas that is made for softbills with berries, shrimp, and crushed seeds.
I am giving him live mealworms. I also tried to give waxworms, but he doesn't want them. Today I added some organic peas. I promise more pics don't worry.
He is very hand tame. I wouldn't call him cuddly no... sweet yes. He will get on my hand or finger if I ask, and if I tap a spot to go to he will do that as well. Remember he's only a month old, so I am sure his abilities, and personality will grow. We have a little feeding routine down right now. He will now take the food from my fingers, and swallow on his own. He still refuses to take food from the bowl. We'll get there.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes thank you, I have been using mazuri for my blue naped mousebird gryphon for years, and Moe Joe gets it as well.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I also ordered some beopate by verselaga from overseas.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes thank you, I have been using mazuri for my blue naped mousebird gryphon for years, and Moe Joe gets it as well.
My sparrow, Spee, gets Mazuri Insectivore.
Volkman seed now sells some Versele-laga products but I think it's mainly the pigeon products.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey all. Moe Joe is doing great. I am feeding him as the breeder has instructed me to. There's not much info out there. I also have a food coming from overseas that is made for softbills with berries, shrimp, and crushed seeds.
I am giving him live mealworms. I also tried to give waxworms, but he doesn't want them. Today I added some organic peas. I promise more pics don't worry.
He is very hand tame. I wouldn't call him cuddly no... sweet yes. He will get on my hand or finger if I ask, and if I tap a spot to go to he will do that as well. Remember he's only a month old, so I am sure his abilities, and personality will grow. We have a little feeding routine down right now. He will now take the food from my fingers, and swallow on his own. He still refuses to take food from the bowl. We'll get there.
Thanks for the info :) I can't believe he's only 1 month old :heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So knowing what I know about softbills... I knew feeding dog food was just not a good idea. Though it's a common practice.
I called the company just to ask, and the one I was using is 245 mg/kg of iron. Not good...
Back to basics.. and my own knowledge of hemochromatosis.
Only thing is he was taking it readily, he won't eat the mazuri. Yet.. fingers crossed there. So today I offered other foods.. different veggies and fruit, some herbs from my garden. About the only thing I can get him to eat are the live worms and banana. At least he is starting to eat something... but mostly he still wants to be fed. That's good for bonding, and I expect he will begin again soon eating on his own.
I truly don't think there's a low iron dog food...it would make your dog anemic.
Zupreem used to make a nice softbill pellet. It appears to be out of stock everywhere, so I question whether they are still making it.
Then there is a version by kaytee. I have never been a kaytee fan, and this has colored pellets, along with natural. They don't make an all natural.
This is definitely not a bird for someone who likes to spend a lot of time away from home.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So I called zupreem and spoke to a woman who confirmed they discontinued the softbill pellet.
However, she told me that after that, they watched their natural pellets for a year, and the ppm stays consistently under 100.. which is great.
She recommended the natural pellets in the cockatiel size.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Just received this IMG_20170530_173702762_HDR.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He is such a cutie! Congrats!

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
Hi, this is what I feed Spock...
"Orlux Beo Patee Mynah Food" by Versele-Laga

I get it from Amazon. I have asked Harrisons before about whether it would be suitable and they did say the fine stuff would be because it is low in iron. I haven't tried it though.

We tried something by Beophar, but it was something different from your picture, they were little balls, which reminds me of slug pellets or the chocolate covered rice balls in Muller crunch corners, pretty sure they weren't either of those things! Spock wouldn't touch them though!

I forget your little one is so young! Feeding him what he will take in the method he will accept it is probably the best thing to do at the moment.

You're so right about the lack of information! It was so frustrating, what there is is usually so old it just isn't the way things are done any more. I found something that advised cutting their tongues to "free them up" so they could talk!!! Can you believe it!?