• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mynah, Anyone?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@waterfaller1 is the only other member that I know of, however she has not been on since last October.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
My brother had one 50+ years ago and loved him dearly. Apparently they are quite awesome to hear him tell it.

There are a few threads on here about them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
OK I will search for threads. I already did but maybe not enough.

I wanted to know more about taming them, and what toys they like. So far mine has calmed down some, and is ignoring the toys I hung. I know she needs a sleeping box, and we don't have that up yet either.

There's so little info out there!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
OK I will search for threads. I already did but maybe not enough.

I wanted to know more about taming them, and what toys they like. So far mine has calmed down some, and is ignoring the toys I hung. I know she needs a sleeping box, and we don't have that up yet either.

There's so little info out there!
You have one???? Cool!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I fostered 2 GIH mynahs for a couple of years in the late 70's. They were given to me by 2 veterinarians, one at a time. I was a sales rep for a veterinary supply company and called on vets everyday. Everyone knew I had birds and I was offered more for free all the time. I often took them, cared for them until I found new homes, again often thru my vet contacts. It was tempting to keep them all but I had a macaw (GW) and 2 amazons (OW and LC) that I committed to. I remember that Sonny was owned by a man that got sick, Sassy was given up because she was too loud and messy. Several years later they were adopted by a veterinarian who kept them both in the waiting room of his practice where they learned to bark, meow and moan like a cat coming out of anesthesia. I got to see them a few times a month.

I really liked having them. Sassy was shy, somewhat quiet until she occasionally did the craziest ear piercing call. She said a few words like "Hello" and "Bye." Sonny was bold and friendly. I was told at the time that hand tamed Mynahs were unusual so I was thrilled that he came out of his cage onto my hand happily. Sonny spoke all the time. He said "Hello" and "Hello Son!" "How are you? How are you?" and many golf related phrases like "That looks like a hole in one!" His voice was clear and understandable, just sounded maybe like a voice on the radio instead of a person. I gave them a bath in a pot in the bathtub everyday and they loved it. I honestly don't remember much about their toys (but all my birds had some) or food (monkey biscuits?) but I know I followed the vet's directions and they were both glistening black and healthy.

Have fun with her! I just love mynahs. We definitely need pictures. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hey there hi. I have Moe Joe,who just turned two in April IMG_20190529_165447511.jpg

Noah's_Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah Till
Here in AUSTRALIA, that bird would have more bullet holes in it than a #@$#^^$#$%%
Aussie Arch Nemesis!
They do seem like nice bird though pets wise
Thanks
Untitled.png

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Here in AUSTRALIA, that bird would have more bullet holes in it than a #@$#^^$#$%%
Aussie Arch Nemesis!
They do seem like nice bird though pets wise
Thanks
View attachment 318035

I can’t say I’ve ever known of anyone to hurt them here let alone shoot them. Some people have complained that they chase some of the smaller native birds away but I’ve never heard of anyone going out of their way to harm them. Same with sparrows.

Noah's_Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah Till
I can’t say I’ve ever known of anyone to hurt them here let alone shoot them. Some people have complained that they chase some of the smaller native birds away but I’ve never heard of anyone going out of their way to harm them. Same with sparrows.
I guess you have not been to Toowoomba then, they are the equivalent of flying rats here and everyone would love to nail a few of them
I have never hurt them though, only scaring them off but if someone hands myself an air gun and a handful of pellets, I certainly won't turn down getting rid of a few introduced pests from our environment
Sorry that I am sounding so negative, its just our 'Culture' here
Thanks
Untitled.png

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Your guess would be incorrect @Noah's_Birds :)

My best guess about your outlook and beliefs would be that we tend to associate with completely different sorts of people and that’s fine.....we don’t all have to be the same nor have the same feelings.

It is a shame that we do have so many introduced species that seem to have a much easier time living here than some of our native animals now that all the introduced species are flourishing.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I guess you have not been to Toowoomba then, they are the equivalent of flying rats here and everyone would love to nail a few of them
I have never hurt them though, only scaring them off but if someone hands myself an air gun and a handful of pellets, I certainly won't turn down getting rid of a few introduced pests from our environment
Sorry that I am sounding so negative, its just our 'Culture' here
Thanks
View attachment 318040
Sounds like the majorities' feelings to pigeons here. Quite sad imo; such intelligent, sweet, all-around-"misunderstood" birds...

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
And I would think that shooting or injuring a handful won't do much to lower the population either. But many people do it for "fun" I believe; or maybe out of ignorance.

Noah's_Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah Till
Unfortunately, its the way it is here in Toowoomba
The local mens sheds build traps and humanely execute them by the hundreds each year
Sorry everyone about bringing this up, but thats the way it is in our town
Thanks
Untitled.png

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Unfortunately, its the way it is here in Toowoomba
The local mens sheds build traps and humanely execute them by the hundreds each year
Sorry everyone about bringing this up, but thats the way it is in our town
Thanks
View attachment 318047
Interesting. You'd think, with them being such a big problem, that people would find ways to reduce optimal nesting sites, or something of that sort, instead of waiting to get rid of the live ones.

Noah's_Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah Till
Interesting. You'd think, with them being such a big problem, that people would find ways to reduce optimal nesting sites, or something of that sort, instead of waiting to get rid of the live ones.
Its hard to do so because they nest in all the big buildings, very high up, of which once you count up the costs for workers and cherry-pickers to remove them, its just impossible
No hope with our council either
Just pop them off as we go
WELCOME TO TOOWOOMBA
Thanks
Noah Till

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't know if this was ever really tried or not but I once read about a plan to lower/control the numbers of feral pigeons in cities. The plan involved creating a "park" to which the pigeons were all lured with loads of food stations and nice safe nesting sites, and then the plan was to replace all eggs with dummies. The pigeons wouldn't know the difference and would keep incubating the full period instead of just finding a different place to raise their young. The live ones had a nice place to live and be admired by the public, and the population was humanely controlled (to a certain extent). I liked that idea. Again, don't know if it was actually tried, but it sounds like a good plan.

Noah's_Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah Till
By then i guess the population would have exploded, because the pigeons would more than likely stay in their normal spot and just feed their faces in the park, before returning to their nests