• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Zebra finches laid eggs, and two hatched. Help?!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Beeper had a hurt wing from the crow we rescued her from and basically as soon as it didn't hurt any more she started flying about so pretty sure as soon as her wing gets enough feathers and doesn't hurt any more she'll start flying too. It took her a while but she got there and was very acrobatic and loved doing hot laps around my room when first let out for the day.

LyricalDream

Meeting neighbors
That's what I hope happens with mine. Where there's no broken bones I have to figure out what to do. We named her Evelyn but we're also fond of Sorcha from Willow. :p

LyricalDream

Meeting neighbors
My cat vet helped me out again! She sent pics of Sorcha to her bird vet friend in another state, along with the X-ray. The results?

She's never going to walk right. Her leg broke, then healed wrong. It's now stuck in an L shape tucked against her. (And its sideways) If you look you can see the large bulge where it fused wrong. So I get to handicap my bird cage.

The bird vet says just see if she learns to live without it. He doesn't expect she'll live as long as a normal finche but he can't say for sure. My cockatiel is 25+ and she's never flown ever.

We really can't say for sure without an actual vet visit to a bird vet, so this is as close as I'm able to find out. The bird vet says there really isn't much he could do where the leg has already set. So we just watch.

I have to say I love my vet. She's going above and beyond to help me out. :) I mean, I *have* dropped $5k+ in vet bills over the last year for my 19 yr old cat, but still.

Edit: I also have to say a HUGE thank you to you guys! I couldn't have done it without you. Seriously. I spent the first two weeks in sheer panic. Thanks to you guys he's on a pellet/veggie diet (mostly! He's fussy) he's getting a bigger cage as soon as baby is old enough, and I knew how to take care of her.
Also a huge thank you for listening to me panic/over mother the poor thing.

And a special thank you to @finchly for the PMs and walkthroughs! As well as your never ending patience.
Also thanks to @faislaq for the kind words! You rock. :) (PS kitty is fine now. Like it never happened. )

I'll keep y'all updated with her. :) We will see if we can get her flying yet! (As soon as I figure out what age she should be flying/feeding herself)

Last edited: