• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Zebra finches laid eggs, and two hatched. Help?!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that things are going well now. She is very cute!

LyricalDream

Meeting neighbors
We've managed to raise her (I assume it's a her due to coloring. It's going to be weird if she molts and turns into a he) enough she's left her nest!

We're now up to problem #673. Her wing has a big dark bump (I think it's dried blood or something) from her wound. I've got to get help to clean her up better and see what's going on.

A more pressing issue is one I have no idea how I missed! While I was holding her today I noticed something. She has a lame leg! She won't use it at all. It stays tucked up against her body. It's the leg on the side her wing is hurt. My cockatiel has a lame leg, so I think I can manage it. I think when papa attacked her as a baby he crippled her. It could heal as her wing does, but I'm not hopeful. She just uses her wing to walk. We'll see how it changes flying. If I have to handicap the cage I will. I did it with my cockatiel.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh, gosh. So sorry. I had a lame baby canary, and when I took her to the vet it was broken - in 3 places!!! She'd fallen from her (very high) nest though.

You can put antibiotic cream on the wound, but better just wash with water. So sorry about her leg. :(

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@LyricalDream You are the only reason that little bird has a hope in this world; such hard work and dedication. :) She just might live a normal life and never know she's different.

LyricalDream

Meeting neighbors
@faislaq I hope she makes it! I have hope in her. She's a darling. I don't see how people could just give up. She's VERY stressful (as soon as I fix one issue six more show up, ha!) but worth it. You all have been invaluable in helping me figure out how to care for the little thing. Papa is very mad at me, though. I don't see any signs of swelling or anything on her leg.
I had a bird get bitten by a lovebird once and he lost his entire leg. He still lived a year before he died of an unrelated issue. Her leg just stays tucked up against her sideways, not like it's in pain or anything.

Here she is today. She's a happy little peeper. You can see she uses her colored wing to walk around a bit. (And you can see the damage papa did to it) I tried to get her to walk, but she decided to jump. Ignore my messy floor. In order to keep her safe when I take her out I lock myself in my rabbit room. My cats hate me.

Dropbox - VID_20180422_113032.mp4

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
She sounds like a squeaky toy!

LyricalDream

Meeting neighbors
She does! It's both annoying and adorable. I'm getting used to it.

I did some testing while I was tending to her wing this morning (It's going to take me years to get the blood off. I've been working on it for days) if you pick her up and leave her legs free she WILL use her lame leg a little. She just doesn't want to. I think it may heal! If it's not broken. I've no bird vets ANYWHERE so I'm winging it, pun not intended.

Her buns are also bald. Either she's rubbing off the feathers, he's plucking, or she came with bald buns. I still have a camera set up to watch papa. I don't trust him.

She's also old enough to bite me now! Adult finches don't hurt, I can't even feel her pinch. It's so cute. (She was REALLY fed up with me messing with her wing)

I also moved all the perches/nest lower so she can hop around if she has a lame leg. It's super low now. Once she's done being angry I think she'll be happy. Right now she's very angry at me. Not scared like I thought she'd be. She's got a temper. I also put padding (paper towels -lots) on the floor to help her move around. It's also to keep the floor sanitary while she has an open wound. I do NOT want an infection. She has antibiotic ointment on it twice a day, and I dab at her wound with warm water to get the blood off (not too much! I don't want it opening again. Looks like she lost about four feathers - at least one a blood feather)

I'm spending far too much time online researching to make sure I'm doing this right. My cat broke his tail the other day and not even he is getting this much attention. (He's okay. Just stupid)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's very cute and chatty. Too bad about her wing and foot but she will do OK.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I hope your kitty heals, too. :sadhug2:

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Are you sure there are no vets near you? If she has broken bones, she could be dealing with a very serious infection soon (as can your cat). I can't imagine how much pain your animals are in. :( Thank you for caring for them, but there's only so much you can do without a vet's help.

LyricalDream

Meeting neighbors
My nearest bird vet is two hours away. My car isn't stable enough to make that trip. :( I'm keeping the world's closest eye on her, though. If she takes a turn for the worst I'll manage it then. I'm hopeful it's just that her wing is wounded so she's not using her leg to avoid pain. She does use it, just prefers not to.

I did haul my cat to the vet, though. Cat vets are EASY to find. He's got just a minor break that doesn't require much treatment. (Although he has a neat tail splint)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Maybe you can talk to the vet you took your cat to? My veterinary clinic has an exotics vet that comes in two days of the week. If they don't, they could possibly direct you to someone closer.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
The house finch we raised, Beeper, as a baby got her foot broke by the big bird here before we realized they couldn't be near each other anymore. She held the foot and leg tight to her bodyu till it healed enough to stop hurting then slowly started using it as it felt better to the best of it's abilities. When I saw her occasionally scratching her head with it then putting it away again I knew she was going to be OK.

LyricalDream

Meeting neighbors
I did talk to my vet while I was there for the cat. She was the one who told me the nearest vet is forever away (I live in a VERY rural area. It's 30 minutes to the nearest store) She gave me some signs to look out for that she knows of in cats, so it's on my checklist. Baby gets checked on about every two hours right now (Usually via camera) to make sure she's okay.

Currently she's about to throw herself out of her nest again. I'm glad I lowered it so she can get back in. She likes tossing herself.

Now I'm kind of worried about leg infection. :( I'll keep an eye out and hope for the best.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Now I'm kind of worried about leg infection. :( I'll keep an eye out and hope for the best.
Scary to have to watch for an infection now, too, but better than putting in all this effort only to not know to watch for an infection and be blindsided. :shrug:

LyricalDream

Meeting neighbors
Should she be flying yet? She's officially left the nest, but just stays on the floor. Her leg is getting stronger and she does use it a little bit now and then if I pick her up. She doesn't fly or move much, though. Just hangs out on the floor chirping while papa freaks out that she's not in the nest.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Watch out for papa, since she is on the floor, he might try to get her...just a thought

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
She should be at least a little. But if she is in pain she may not - or if she can’t figure out how to take off without hurting her leg.

LyricalDream

Meeting neighbors
Oh I forgot! I did take her to my cat vet for a quick X-ray! (my vet is super awesome. I'm in there every week for my 19 yr old cat) no broken bones/wing. She only knows about birds from doing a quick study for me, but says she doesn't see any signs of pain she would expect. We're leaning towards a lame leg/deformed leg.

The baby is doing fantastic and sings a lot. She just doesn't move much. I'm wondering if she just doesn't know how? Maybe it's due to her lack of wing feathers. There's still a mystery clump on baby's wing that the vet thinks is dried blood. I'm dabbing at it now and then with water to see if we can clean it. She also gets medication on it still.

I'm still watching papa closer than the Hawks are watching my neighbor's rabbits. So far aside from an unexpected bald spot on baby's rear (which could be from the attack - still no wing feathers) he's doing a fantastic job.

My challenge now seems to be getting her flying. If I hold her and set her on my finger she's learning to grip with her good foot. I push her around a bit to see if she can build strength in her lame leg. I'm not exactly sure how to do rehab with a lame foot since my cockatiels was genetic and there was no point. I'm hopeful getting her moving will help.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have bathed a baby smaller than that before. Here’s how. I have these tiny 3 inch bowls, filled it with warm water. Held baby in a way she had NO chance of her beak dipping in, and swished her in it. Then wrapped her in a towel. That might get the blood off, just do it early in the day so she can dry off before night.

I think you have done a great job with her and don’t worry too much about the flying. Does she ever fly off your finger?