• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My yellow headed Amazon

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Glad to hear he's doing better! If you haven't gotten aloe vera yet for him, you should, that stuff works wonders. Just buy an actual aloe vera plant or three and you can either rub it on his skin or mix it in with his drinking water, mister, or humidifier, or all of the above. Just make sure you don't tear off the full leaf, just taking the tips can be more than enough. They don't need a lot of water, either, and try to make sure they don't get too much or too little light.

I find the fresh stuff is way better for birds (and humans) than anything else. Just make sure it says 'aloe vera'. There are a lot of plants that look like aloes but really aren't, and then there are the subspecies. Aloe vera is the cheapest and most readily found, but some of the rarer varieties like Arborescens and Ferox grow into ginormos trees, and others are too small to actually harvest from regularly.

Alexandraa

Meeting neighbors
Glad to hear he's doing better! If you haven't gotten aloe vera yet for him, you should, that stuff works wonders. Just buy an actual aloe vera plant or three and you can either rub it on his skin or mix it in with his drinking water, mister, or humidifier, or all of the above. Just make sure you don't tear off the full leaf, just taking the tips can be more than enough. They don't need a lot of water, either, and try to make sure they don't get too much or too little light.

I find the fresh stuff is way better for birds (and humans) than anything else. Just make sure it says 'aloe vera'. There are a lot of plants that look like aloes but really aren't, and then there are the subspecies. Aloe vera is the cheapest and most readily found, but some of the rarer varieties like Arborescens and Ferox grow into ginormos trees, and others are too small to actually harvest from regularly.
Ive been debating an aloe plant honestly, they're crazy easy to grow and care for. Someone suggested a vet check before I used anything other than water on his skin for now tho, so that's been my most big wait lol.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

I've heard the yellow latex just under the outer layer can be irritating. I know health food stores sell the juice. Can those be good at all? Luv Bug has had pretty dry skin lately despite daily baths or showers and your posts got me curious.

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I have a video of him singing with me but the site doesn't accept anything but pics
I had to finally make a Facebook page to post videos there, so I could post the link here. Most members seem to use YouTube, but that felt too far beyond me.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Someone suggested a vet check before I used anything other than water on his skin for now tho, so that's been my most big wait lol.
Good thought. Just the water mist is working too. You've proven it.

I wonder if part of the mutilation was stress? Parrots do seem to feed off of our emotions and how we react. Was your grandma ill very long?

About the vet bill, I've read posts about a care credit or something like that. Not sure how it works but others will chime in.

Thanks for working with Seymour.

I'll try to post a picture of Secret's sleeping set up for you. I have family in so it may be a day or so.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I've heard the yellow latex just under the outer layer can be irritating. I know health food stores sell the juice. Can those be good at all? Luv Bug has had pretty dry skin lately despite daily baths or showers and your posts got me curious.
Personally, I haven't had any issues with the layer just under the skin, but it's often hard to get out anyways. You really gotta scrape at it, whereas the juice just comes right out if you squeeze the leaves. It's not all that difficult to tell the latex apart from the juice, as it's a lot clearer than the inside of the leaves and it's way more liquid. It also spreads more easily than the latex.

As far as the storebought juices go, I'm not too keen on them personally. A lot of them have added colors and preservatives, and I just don't find it's as good as the fresh stuff. It could work in a pinch, but if I had the choice, I'd go for a plant. My mom's aloe is about 40 years old or so and still going strong, despite how much we harvest from it. It's also better in the long-term financially, since a lot of places sell them for cheap, and they produce 'pups', meaning you get even more of them!

Ive been debating an aloe plant honestly, they're crazy easy to grow and care for. Someone suggested a vet check before I used anything other than water on his skin for now tho, so that's been my most big wait lol.
Mm, I personally don't think there's anything in an aloe vera that can hurt a bird, but if you're worried, you definitely should wait. In some cases, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
I hit "sent" on my welcome before I can give a thoughtful response...

You are doing right by Seymour, in caring for him and wanting the best. All the suggestions are good re aloe vera and some misting.

I am very sorry about the passing of your grandma. So recent and I'd imagine stressful and mourning for all, especially Seymour. The wonderful part is that he already knows you.

Seymour is a charm. He'll heal up and feel better eventually. In the meanwhile with some at home care and extra TLC. He looks like he loves to eat, so food too.

As mentioned, see if you can get CareCredit. It can be very handy.

I wish you all the care and effort for Seymour. Bless both of you.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Personally, I haven't had any issues with the layer just under the skin, but it's often hard to get out anyways. You really gotta scrape at it, whereas the juice just comes right out if you squeeze the leaves. It's not all that difficult to tell the latex apart from the juice, as it's a lot clearer than the inside of the leaves and it's way more liquid. It also spreads more easily than the latex.

As far as the storebought juices go, I'm not too keen on them personally. A lot of them have added colors and preservatives, and I just don't find it's as good as the fresh stuff. It could work in a pinch, but if I had the choice, I'd go for a plant. My mom's aloe is about 40 years old or so and still going strong, despite how much we harvest from it. It's also better in the long-term financially, since a lot of places sell them for cheap, and they produce 'pups', meaning you get even more of them!

Dang. I'm not entirely gifted when it comes to plants. It's a good thing birds are easy. :roflmao:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Dang. I'm not entirely gifted when it comes to plants. It's a good thing birds are easy. :roflmao:
xD Aloes are easy, too. You just water them every now and then and leave them alone. Mine went all winter without being watered since my humidifier was going every night, and my aunt forgot hers in the basement without water or sunlight for six-eight months after moving, and they recovered.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
xD Aloes are easy, too. You just water them every now and then and leave them alone. Mine went all winter without being watered since my humidifier was going every night, and my aunt forgot hers in the basement without water or sunlight for six-eight months after moving, and they recovered.
Whoo-hoo! My kind of plant. :thumbsup:

Alexandraa

Meeting neighbors
Good thought. Just the water mist is working too. You've proven it.

I wonder if part of the mutilation was stress? Parrots do seem to feed off of our emotions and how we react. Was your grandma ill very long?

About the vet bill, I've read posts about a care credit or something like that. Not sure how it works but others will chime in.

Thanks for working with Seymour.

I'll try to post a picture of Secret's sleeping set up for you. I have family in so it may be a day or so.
I'm almost for certain the mutilating was from him being stressed around our house sitters when we couldn't be home, they didn't treat him well Im guess because that's really when it all started.
And yeah I'm sure it had a lot to do with her emotions, she was always working so she couldn't really spend much time with him for a while like she wanted too.
Care credit, hmm definitely curious how that works!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Found this:

https://www.carecredit.com

It looks like this is a special type of credit card that offers the opportunity of a zero percent interest IF, and ONLY IF, you borrow over a certain sum and then pay the balance completely off within a certain amount of time.

@Lady Jane @orphansparrow can you two add your two cents?

Does every vet use it or do you have to confirm prior to using it?

It looks like you can use it for people doctors, too.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so glad he doing so much better. My M2 Zane was a self mutilator they can so hard to take care of. It's great you'll be getting him to a vet soon. I wish you both well on this journey. And thanks again for being his soft place to land :heart:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Found this:

It looks like this is a special type of credit card that offers the opportunity of a zero percent interest IF, and ONLY IF, you borrow over a certain sum and then pay the balance completely off within a certain amount of time.

Yes. That's how it worked for me. It's a credit card specifically for medical reasons, and for me, I borrowed about $1,400 and had 14 months to pay it off without interest. I had zero interest the whole time.

(I've used it twice, each time for apx. the same amount).

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
Found this:

Yes, exactly what it is. I got approved for $1000. Not only can it be used for medical, a physician or veterinarian, but a dentist as well. Most vets accept them and some would be smart to accept it as well. Usually if they accept it it will be on their website or office sign on the desk on the various forms of payment accepted.