• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My yellow headed Amazon

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
He'll recommend tests but he'll answer questions about which ones will help the most. And he doesn't charge an arm and a leg.
And that is the best kind of vet!!!!!

If you're new to birds, ask what they recommend and why they recommend it. If you're limited on funds, tell them. Ask which tests are critical.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Also, Seymour has a small problem of falling off his perches, his small and big ones. My grandma said she would open his his cage up so he could sleep on the bottom or floor because it happened a lot, but he's only done it once to my knowledge in the last couple days I've had him, but his foot looked a little scratched this morning when I got up and opened his sheet over his cage. I was curious if a nest or nest like things would help him out more, he sleeps in his food bowl often and what it seems to me is that he's doing it so he doesn't fall. I read that mating season is around this time for him and I didn't want him more wery of everyone and more aggressive towards people than he already is by adding a nest. Any ideas will he helpful.
Secret has done that occasionally.

I have a rope perch that I put close to the corner of the cage. She started mauling it so now I have a regular perch in that spot. ... close to the corner so the bird can lean in.

I also have a platform perch.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome!! I'm so sorry for your loss of your grandmother. But I'm so grateful that you could take in her bird. Sounds like you're on the right path. I understand your nervousness about taking her to vets but I think it upsides out weight the downsides. I wish both of you all the best!! :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Welcome to AA. I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother. Your new companion is getting up there in age and might have a bit of arthritis in his feet, so that might be part of the issue with him falling off his perches. Please don't mist with anything but water. Anything else will eventually probably irritate his skin. I'm guessing that most of his feathers will probably not come back as it looks like there is follicle damage but he can still live a happy and healthy life with you. It sounds like you are doing a good job. Just take it slow and steady, get him on a better diet and get him to a vet when you can so you can establish a base and make sure he's getting everything he needs nutritionally! Thank you for taking him in!:heart:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a lucky boy Seymour is. I hope all the loving care you give him will make all his feathers and body better!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
You may already know but parrots go through mourning. I'm thankful you have reach other during this time.

Alexandraa

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone, I feel for him a lot as he was around her bedside when she passed. He's had a hard knock life, my grandma used to have house sitters while she'd be away at work and they messed with him a lot when no one was home and that's when the plucking and biting himself began, but he has made great improvements tho over the week he has been here. I haven't had any feathers in his cage like he used to have everyday and the picking is down by more than I could even imagine, it's happened maybe a handful of times over the week and that's really drastic compared to the multiple times a day. Thank you everyone for all the advice and kind words. I greatly appreciate everyone and everything so much.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Sorry for the loss of your grandma.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How are you and Seymour doing @Alexandraa? Good news, I hope. :)

Alexandraa

Meeting neighbors
How are you and Seymour doing @Alexandraa? Good news, I hope. :)
He's doing amazing omg!!!! Outta the 9 years he's been plucking and mutilating, his scab is completely gone, in this entire 7days I've had him!!! His chest feathers are growing back great! And for the first time since his plucking and mutilating from stress he bowed his head tonight and let me pet him over and over again, making the most happy noises!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He's doing amazing omg!!!! Outta the 9 years he's been plucking and mutilating, his scab is completely gone, in this entire 7days I've had him!!! His chest feathers are growing back great! And for the first time since his plucking and mutilating from stress he bowed his head tonight and let me pet him over and over again, making the most happy noises!
:fairy2: That's so wonderful!! And happy noises, too? We seriously need a happy tears emoji. :bliss:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Sweet!

New pictures?