• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My yellow headed Amazon

Alexandraa

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I'm Alex and my yellow headed Amazon is named Seymour. I inherited him from my grandma when she passed away a few days ago, she said he was about 42 and he's been a chronic plucker for about 6years and my grandma could never get him to stop just how to get him to calm down for the moment, his scabbing is really bad, he picks at it constantly and he's bald on his top back wing, belly and legs. He doesn't like to be held, touched or pet so I can't put a collar or anything on him. I've changed his food recently to a brand I saw on here and it's helped him a little, he was fed an all sunflower seed diet til I bought him his new food yesterday, I think he's either accustomed to it now and the scabbing is just irritating him along with his skin being dry from it .I bought a humidifier and he loves that but he needs more 20180307_100841.jpg 20180307_100917.jpg 20180307_100841.jpg 20180307_100917.jpg

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Welcome and I'm so sorry about your grandmother! :(
I'm glad you could take in Seymour and care about giving him a better diet. He really needs to see an avian vet to help with his plucking issue. The humidifier is a good idea, just make sure to clean it regularly so mold or mildew do not grow inside. Showering him with a light mist from a bottle is even better for his skin and feathers. Not saying you shouldn't use the humidifier but direct light spraying is needed as well.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Welcome Alex and your cute, nekkid Seymour. Thank you for taking him in and already doing a wonderful job at parronting! There have been so many advancements in what has been learned about bird's needs so thank you for looking up says to help the poor guy. Stress and diet can be huge contributors to plucking and mutilation. Has he been to the vet yet to rule out other underlying causes?

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, and so recently. :sadhug2: You and Seymour will both be mourning for some time. I'm glad you have each other to help y'all through it.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I noticed we never see his face? It's always in his food bowl. :laugh: Either you're just trying to show us where he plucks or that is one hungry bird! :D

Alexandraa

Meeting neighbors
Thank you a ton. I mist him every day along with the humidifier, I clean it out twice a day along with his bottom tray every night and food/water twice a day. I've been debating how the vet trip will go because he's not friendly at all, he doesn't like to be around new people, esp when they're reaching for him. He gets stressed so easily and I'm worried the vet visit will put him in a shock. And he hasn't been in like 13 years, due to my grandma not having the funds.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Does he know you? I know you said he isn’t tame but was just wondering if he’s seen you regularly when your grandmother had him.

Some toys might can distract him from the plucking, things to chew and destroy.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Also try some warm foods with veggies mixed in..most will readily accept pasta and rice. Then you can get some red palm oil and mix it all together. The red palm oil will do wonders for his feathers.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you a ton. I mist him every day along with the humidifier, I clean it out twice a day along with his bottom tray every night and food/water twice a day. I've been debating how the vet trip will go because he's not friendly at all, he doesn't like to be around new people, esp when they're reaching for him. He gets stressed so easily and I'm worried the vet visit will put him in a shock. And he hasn't been in like 13 years, due to my grandma not having the funds.
Wow, you're already good at this! :tup: It was hard for me to get Buzzard in his travel cage; it took a couple months for him to go in semi-willingly. :o: And during the exam he screamed so loudly that I cried because I felt so mean. :ashamed2: Afterward I was relieved to know he was healthy and glad I remembered to ask them to trim his nails.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome from another old amazon lover. What part of Illinois are you in? I'm in St Louis.

Secret was stressed when she first saw an avian vet. Make sure it is a true avian vet you take her to. Those vets should know about how to handle stress.

In fact, Secret bit the first vet she saw on the back of the neck. He was cool with it and shook her off, gently, on the table. We were mortified. Didn't know how to handle the bird.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Clueless we're in Peoria. Oh my! I would've been mortified too!! I plan on looking around for a really good vet, more trustworthy the more comfortable I'll feel in the long run.
Cool! My hubby worked there for a while so I'm a bit familiar. He lived in Pekin during that time.

Dr. Sakas is at Niles, IL ......

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Sorry about the loss of your grandmother. Good idea to take Seymour to vet for a check up. Hope you and the vet can help him stop the plucking.
I have used Nekton Bio with plucking birds and it was beneficial for one but didn't seem to help another. Still might be worth trying that.
Amazon.com : Nekton-Bio for Bird Feathering, 75gm : Beauty Products : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : Nekton Labs BNK207035 Bio Feather Grow For Birds 1.23 oz : Pet Health Care Supplies : Pet Supplies

First link 75 gm container
Second link 1.23 ounces (@ 35 gms)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Maybe @Milo has a recommendation?