• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my two girls

Taz93

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Here we have my blonde spotted python which ive had since she was 3 months old and is now 3 years old and my newest addition an albino darwin carpet python which ive had since she was 6 months old and is now around 13 months old.

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
As you know, i think theyre beautiful :D

Always had a soft spot for the darwins.

Blupogu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
are they tame ????

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
I have a soft spot for anything albino haha
yes they are tame, the darwin is a little flighty but only cause shes still fairly small, never tried to bite.
thanks guys :)

Blupogu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Micheal jackson had one of the albino pythons.....he named her maddona :hehe:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Interesting, never had a snake but had just about every other pet.
My parents live in North NSW & they have brown snakes in the area.
:wtf:

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
Snakes are awesome pets...easy to care for, low maintenance and they dont make noise, no screeching or screaming haha love the feel of their scales and curious nature :) I enjoy watching them slither around on the grass and the way they put their heads up like a cobra lol

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Snakes are awesome pets...easy to care for, low maintenance and they dont make noise, no screeching or screaming haha love the feel of their scales and curious nature :) I enjoy watching them slither around on the grass and the way they put their heads up like a cobra lol
and their tongues are just adorable :xflove:

Maybe that's just me...

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Eastern Brown in Australia is one of the deadliest land snakes. My mom caught one around the house somehow got a log on it & stood on it while my father ran for an axe. If she got bit you have about 30 min to live & nearest hospital is far away. more than 30 minutes anyway so getting bit is deadly
Mom is brave.

This snake will charge you if it feel threatened. I needless to say stay away & hope I never come upon a snake.

Eastern brown snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
My advice with venomous snakes is to just leave them be, if you happen to see one in or around your yard call a snake catcher :) unfortunatly brown snakes come into contact with people far too often and quite often end up being killed :(

Blupogu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
i will never be able to keep snakes...they dont thrive on pellets...they need live rats....which i cant provide...rats r cute toooo....

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
i will never be able to keep snakes...they dont thrive on pellets...they need live rats....which i cant provide...rats r cute toooo....
Most people dont feed live rodents as its frowned upon and will only be done as a last resort, breeders will humainly gas the rodents and then freeze them. Completely harmless to the rats :) I could never feed live, rats as you said are way too cute.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
My advice with venomous snakes is to just leave them be, if you happen to see one in or around your yard call a snake catcher :) unfortunatly brown snakes come into contact with people far too often and quite often end up being killed :(
Snakes do eat mice & rats & they serve a good purpose
:wideyed:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Really only a mother could love a brown snake they look so evil.
My parents are scared of them.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Where I am, people often mistake harmless northern water snakes for copperheads. Kind of sad when they are killed for no real good reason and are away from kids, etc.
Most people dont feed live rodents as its frowned upon and will only be done as a last resort, breeders will humainly gas the rodents and then freeze them. Completely harmless to the rats :) I could never feed live, rats as you said are way too cute.
freezing and thawing is also cheaper here (buying in bulk and last for months in your freezer). As many snakes as I've seen mauled to pieces because of irresponsible owners, I don't feed live and don't think it's a risk that's worth it for my animals even if supervised when the majority of snakes readily accept frozen.

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
And then theres the people who deliberately swerve and hit a snake or lizard on the road...so sad.

Ive seen photos of mauled snakes with their eyes chewed out due to live feeding.
ive also seen a vid on live feeding a monitor lizard, it was a rabbit and the poor thing was thrashed around the enclosure until it eventually died :(

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
And then theres the people who deliberately swerve and hit a snake or lizard on the road...so sad.

Ive seen photos of mauled snakes with their eyes chewed out due to live feeding.
ive also seen a vid on live feeding a monitor lizard, it was a rabbit and the poor thing was thrashed around the enclosure until it eventually died :(
I've only accidentally hit one animal on the road before, a kingsnake. I wanted to stop, but on a highway and with all the other cars it didn't stand a chance.
Sort of wanted to cry :(

Not all who feed live are completely irresponsible, I just don't think the risk of injury is worth it if they will eat frozen. The previous owners of my rat snake initially fed him live, after seeing him almost lose his eye to a mouse, once home I fed him frozen. I've also personally seen peoples' snakes they were trying to get rid of that had pretty horrific scars and infections. Even young ball pythons that are 'supposedly' picky, I've easily so far been able to feed frozen.

I haven't seen live feeding to monitors though, nor am I inclined.

I also have a weakness for albinism in snakes. Hero's tongue is that wonderful blue-black color, but she's not albino :xflove: