• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My tiny evil pickle has learned to open cage doors...

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
And I have cats! Luckily its her huge downstairs cage which is really used only for when I'm in the house, so I caught her in the act quite quickly. Its already happened four times in the last four days.

What do you guys do to make sure your parrots don't get into any trouble like this?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
What kind of door is iT? Maybe you can keep iT shut with a quick link, or a bigger lock if she opens that too? Hope you figure something out soon!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Can you post a pic of the door?

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
It depends on the type of cage/door.

At the rescue we have a few macaws who love to escape, so we usually use chains and clasps (carabiners) to make it so that it can't open. Same with the feeder doors.
(And when one macaw escapes... they let others out. And disrupt the macaws on stands.. and shred papers from cages... Oh it is a mess.:faint:)

If they are even more of a Houdini and figure out to push their grate out to escape (the trays are put on the floor under the cage so they don't shred them) we use hose clamps to keep them from being pushed out.

I have heard of people using padlocks and such for their birds cages as well. Since you have a little guy though you could probably honestly just use a carabiner or pear link (tightened really tight) to keep the door shut. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used padlocks.
Pear link might work but you need to make it extra tight. My Dusky conure can unscrew pear links.
However even making those extra tight is no guarantee. Thought I made one extra tight so Jaden would not drop his toy to the bottom of the cage and yet yesterday found it on the bottom with the pear link attached.
He had unscrewed the pear link again.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Thanks for the help everyone! Since Delilah is so small and is barely strong enough to flip the latch anyway, carabiners should do the trick!

And to think... she went through all of this trouble just to nibble and destroy a plant nearby her cage! (don't worry, bird safe). She just wouldn't give it up! :facepalm:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
They want what they want and nothing will stop a determined fid from their item of desire and destruction. When Dobby gets quiet, or we hear sudden snaps we go looking. And they'll suddenly decide another object they've never touched deserves their attention.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen