1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My tiels sneeze alot, and I'm scared it's not normal

Discussion in 'Cockatiel Corner' started by airriana c, 12/5/18.

1. airriana c

airriana c Moving in

airriana chitwood
    my two tiels have been sneezing alot ever since I got them about a month ago. I keep their cage clean (also please please look at my first post about cleaning their cage, it's really important.) and I might just be overly paranoid, but I wanna be sure !

2. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

My bird tends to sneeze a lot more when I do not have the air purifier on as the particles in the air that I can not see irritate him. The air may not be clear enough for them if they are not sick and just sneezing. Birds have much more delicate respiratory systems than we do and things in the air really affect them badly and can even build up in their systems and cause further health issues for them. Do you have and use an air purifier? If not I would suggest you get one for them and for you as you will be breathing in their dander.

3. airriana c

airriana c Moving in

airriana chitwood
    Thank you, hopefully it works because I wouldn't want them to get clogged up or anything. I really worry about them !

Shezbug likes this.
  4. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    How much is a lot? My tiels sneeze a few times in a day, usually after preening, which is perfectly normal. If yours are sneezing quite a bit more than that you should take them for a check up, especially if their sneezes are wet. Actually, since you just got them, you should take them in for a check up anyway because it’s always recommend that you take any new bird in for a well visit.

Hankmacaw likes this.
  5. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    My Quaker always got sneezy when it was too dry I'm the house . We ran a humidifier for him and it helped a lot. Is there any discharge with the sneezes?

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  6. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
    Dry sneezes are usually okay. It happens after preening or maybe if your house is dry. Wet sneezes can be a cause of concern and worth a vet check.

7. airriana c

airriana c Moving in

airriana chitwood
    They are just dry sneezes and there isn't anything coming out of their noses thankfully, I put an air purifier next to their cage so hopefully it helps

Tiel Feathers and sunnysmom like this.
  8. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    Adding a humidifier if you don’t already have one would be a good idea too, especially if it’s dry where you live. Gentle, frequent misting will help too, if they aren’t afraid of it.

Last edited: 12/6/18
  9. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    The best thing I have done for my birds in the winter dry air is this wonderful little humidifier. It is so easily cleaned and used its just amazing. My old one was a real clunker and I could hardly carry it. Check it out and it will help your birds. I have one for them and after I got it liked it so much I have one in my bedroom also.

Amazon.com: Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier - Premium Humidifying Unit with 1.5L Water Tank, Whisper-Quiet Operation, Automatic Shut-Off and Night Light Function - Lasts Up to 16 Hours: Home & Kitchen

Tags:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)