• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My tiel is so sensitive

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
So, my tiel has been getting a few pin feathers lately. When she preens them, she makes a small squeal like she hurt herself. She also makes this squeal when she is frustrated, when she thinks she is caught in something ( like her toys, even though she really is just fine and not caught up at all ) and when I try to free some pin feathers on her head, where the shealth is far from the skin, she still squeals. She also squeals when the vet trims her nails. Are your cockatiels this sensitive? Will she grow out of it? She is 6 months old :)

Every time she squeals I run to check she's ok.. because she sounds like she's in pain and she really isn't. She is a drama queen oh my.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
All my tiels will squeal a little at times when they pick at their pin feathers...try misting her with a spray bottle. The moisture may help. She is still young - young tiels can be clumsy around their toys and surroundings and if she feels she is caught in something she may become a little afraid. She will become more confident as she gets older. Check on her to make sure she is Ok...but be careful - she may begin associating her squeal with you "coming to her rescue"! You want her to learn to be able to be alone also. :)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I haven't been misting her for a few days now, worried of power outage as this storm continues to roll through, it's been 3 days and still stormy tomorrow! High winds and snow , I live in Newfoundland Canada. On Thursday night I saw the telephone pole swaying from the wind eek! Only two short outages so far tha didn't last long.

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
Baby will do the same as well when he's molting and/or hits a pin feather. It's like getting a piece of finger nail out of your finger what feels like molting and pin feathers I'd imagine. Your tiel is definitely young and at that age of growing feathers in too. Such a cutie. Be safe with the rain and may the storm pass.