• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My thoughts are with the future tenants

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I've just been out to pick up some balls for my birds and I thought I'd take a few pictures and show you the types of cages avail here.

1. Tall round cage 9" diametre x 12"high
IMG_20190518_150018.jpg

2. Sphere cages 9"diametre
IMG_20190518_150030.jpg

3. Rectangle cage 9.5" x 7" x 12"
IMG_20190518_150058.jpg

4. Hamster cage 8.5" x 6" x 7.5"
IMG_20190518_150426.jpg

No, there were no typos, they are the actual sizes :(

I feel sorry for all the animals who will end up living their short miserable lives in these cages.

The biggest cages avail. here are ones like my old nursery cage which is 18 x 16 x 18.

To all the forum members who say they can't get decent cages locally, I feel you! ❤

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
YIKES YIKES YIKES. That's horrible!
The stores in my city have a lot of small cages too, but thankfully they're beginning to branch out into larger ones. Pisces even has cages big enough for Kamara!

It's disgusting that these companies knowingly produce such sub-par housing.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I totally agree. Even round cages. It is well know now that they are bad so why bother making them. Its bad enough these cages are tiny.
The rectangle one would be OK to run a small canary or finch to the vet but none of them are any use for anything. Not even close to suitable for living in. The hamster one was sooooo small. It looks bigger on the picture. And it is clearly not a hamster carry cage as it has a wheel etc inside it. Poor thing would barely be able to turn around.
At the end of the day, it's not even that the company makes these cages..... Someone must be buying them because if there's no demand there's no business... So who the heck are these people who think "ah yes I will buy this cage for my bird to live in"?
It blows my mind.

thankfully they're beginning to branch out into larger ones
I'm glad your stores are moving with the times. The stores in this country is still stuck in the 1950s.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
People will continue to buy the cheapest whatever because that is what they're advised to do by the consumer society we live in today.
Besides,why should they buy a $100 cage for their new $20 'pet'?
Little Tommy wants a $15 budgie which is great for Tommy, but the parents won't fork out the extra for a decent home. What will Tommy learn from that?
Unfortunately not all bird carers are members of AA.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
People will continue to buy the cheapest whatever because that is what they're advised to do by the consumer society we live in today.
Besides,why should they buy a $100 cage for their new $20 'pet'?
Little Tommy wants a $15 budgie which is great for Tommy, but the parents won't fork out the extra for a decent home. What will Tommy learn from that?
Unfortunately not all bird carers are members of AA.

I just don´t get it. You gotta be seriously stingy and heartless to choose one of these cages. For 20euro more they could get the cage Adelie is in (18x30x18) it´s a really cheap cage.. but they don´t sell them here... only the little tiny weeny ones that not even a finch can spread wings in :(

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue