• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My sweet cockatiel is being "hormonal"?

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
I have 2 cockatiels: the oldest one is almost a year old. I have 8 budgies. They all have free range of their own room and at times I bring them out to the living room in their cage. I have recently seen a change in Phoenix..the older one and poor Sedona the younger one was bitten on a talon and I suspect Phoenix. The bite is healing fine but I am worried about Phoenix and is he maybe hormonal because suddenly he hates Sedona to come close to me and he goes after him every time Sedona approaches me for a rub. They used to both get rubs from me at the same time with their heads together as in the avatar. They loved each other. Now suddenly Phoenix does not want to share me and Sedona clearly understands he better stay away from me at all times. This is sad to me.
Tonight Phoenix was such a bad boy with all of them that I put him in a smaller cage all alone. He did not like that one bit and was trying hard to get out until I covered him and turned out the light. Am I making it worse?
Any help with this whole situation would be a great help to us all.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's spring and he's probably hormonal. For now, I would give them separate out of the cage time. I wouldn't put in him in his cage and cover him as punishment though. That usually back fires. However, to reduce hormones you can start giving him 2 hours more of sleep/darkness for 2 weeks to get him back to normal. Tiels should get 10-12 hours of sleep a day. If he doesn't get that, start. And if he does already, give him 2 extra.