• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My sunconure will loose his leg

NeilBirney

Moving in
I'm so sorry about your Sun Conure. Like Kennedy I made a platform for my disabled Amazon. I made mine using untreated pinewood slats, covered with firm upholstery foam, topped by a towel, tea towels, kitchen towel and sometimes newspaper. You can see how the slats work in this pic. They run right through the length of the cage:

Chico can't open his feet to walk on platforms, but platforms my help your little one.
That’s a fantastic house! It looks real comfy and like ur little one can have a lot of fun in there!
The platform is a great idea, that way I may be able to keep him in his surroundings, as he loves his house

NeilBirney

Moving in
There is also a type of padded material to make your own ironing board cover which is padded but the ironing side has a silvery cover which is very easy to wipe clean. You could use it at the bottom of the cage in case he slips or falls.
Thank you, I will enquire about this material, sounds very practical as it’s easy to clean. Hygiene will be very important for the healing process and that would be a great option

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
IMG_20190629_152423456.jpg I'm so sorry to hear about your kiddo's leg. I hope he makes a smooth recovery.

I have four disabled budgies in this cage. They don't like platform perches so I don't have any in there, but they're a great option. My little guys like ladders, because they can perch but also hold themselves stable by leaning on higher rings or gripping with their beaks. They also like rope perches.

For the floor, I took out the grate and put down several layers of polar fleece cut to fit (I bought a few yards from Joann's ). I lay one layer of paper towels over the fleece and change it out every day, then wash the fleeces every week or two. I've tried a lot of other methods, and this is the easiest for me to keep clean and the best for them that I have been able to come up with.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pad the bottom of the cage with layers of non-pilling fleece or non stringy towels. Lower everything at first. Get some platforms and wrap those as well as perches with vet wrap. Food and water should be easily accessible. You may have to wind up getting a different cage if you have a tall one and, if that is the case, get a cage that is wider than it is tall and consider getting one with all horizontal bars or at least two sides that have horizontal bars. Ladders and ramps may be beneficial and/or necessary but, again, depends on your bird.
You have to monitor and observe your bird because most adapt quite well and don't need a lot of modifications so any adaptations/changes that you make will depend on your bird. Sorry that this happened to your conure but he should be able to adapt and figure out how to get around.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Anyone know if @hrafn is still on AA? Cant seem to get her profile page.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks Matt.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie's troubles and I hope he has a swift recovery.
I went through hrafn's thread and found the picture of her cage set up for her special needs budgies.
Hope this helps!

What do you guys think so far?

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
And here is Brittany's set up for Java--who is a Vasa parrot with only one foot. I believe the cage is a Critter Nation cage, if I am not mistaken. Hopefully these ideas can help you out.

Here's a link to the thread: Pictures - Cage adjustments | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I made some changes to Java's cage.
I took out that large shelf that covered the upper portion of his cage.
Took out most of the toys he wasn't using in case they were overwhelming him.
Added more platforms and resting spots.
Added a second bowl at the bottom of the cage that will be used for either pellets or water.
And I switched out some of the fabrics for more uniformed patterns in case they were concerning him.
So far, I REALLY like this setup better than the one before now that the shelf is out. The cage is brighter and he has more room.
Question: would a light- colored blanket be better to cover his cage with at night instead of the dark green? He still uses a nightlight but I wonder if a lighter colored blanket would help him sleep or keep him up.

View attachment 289626 View attachment 289627 View attachment 289628 View attachment 289629 View attachment 289630 View attachment 289631 View attachment 289632 View attachment 289633

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Why doesn't her Profile Page come up?

The message I get when I click on it is:

Avian Avenue Parrot Forum - Error

This member limits who may view their full profile.

As far as I know, it's been that way for a while.