1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My sunconure will loose his leg

Discussion in 'Special Needs Crossing' started by NeilBirney, 6/29/19.

1. NeilBirney

NeilBirney Moving in

That’s a fantastic house! It looks real comfy and like ur little one can have a lot of fun in there!
    The platform is a great idea, that way I may be able to keep him in his surroundings, as he loves his house

2. NeilBirney

NeilBirney Moving in

Thank you, I will enquire about this material, sounds very practical as it’s easy to clean. Hygiene will be very important for the healing process and that would be a great option

Zara likes this.
  3. Zygodactylous

Zygodactylous Meeting neighbors

IMG_20190629_152423456.jpg I'm so sorry to hear about your kiddo's leg. I hope he makes a smooth recovery.

I have four disabled budgies in this cage. They don't like platform perches so I don't have any in there, but they're a great option. My little guys like ladders, because they can perch but also hold themselves stable by leaning on higher rings or gripping with their beaks. They also like rope perches.

For the floor, I took out the grate and put down several layers of polar fleece cut to fit (I bought a few yards from Joann's ). I lay one layer of paper towels over the fleece and change it out every day, then wash the fleeces every week or two. I've tried a lot of other methods, and this is the easiest for me to keep clean and the best for them that I have been able to come up with.

Karen likes this.
  4. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Pad the bottom of the cage with layers of non-pilling fleece or non stringy towels. Lower everything at first. Get some platforms and wrap those as well as perches with vet wrap. Food and water should be easily accessible. You may have to wind up getting a different cage if you have a tall one and, if that is the case, get a cage that is wider than it is tall and consider getting one with all horizontal bars or at least two sides that have horizontal bars. Ladders and ramps may be beneficial and/or necessary but, again, depends on your bird.
    You have to monitor and observe your bird because most adapt quite well and don't need a lot of modifications so any adaptations/changes that you make will depend on your bird. Sorry that this happened to your conure but he should be able to adapt and figure out how to get around.

Karen and Lady Jane like this.
  5. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Anyone know if @hrafn is still on AA? Cant seem to get her profile page.

Mockinbirdiva likes this.
  6. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    I am very sorry.

@hrafn last posted 10 days ago.

7. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Thanks Matt.

8. BeanieofJustice

BeanieofJustice Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Steph
    I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie's troubles and I hope he has a swift recovery.
    I went through hrafn's thread and found the picture of her cage set up for her special needs budgies.
    Hope this helps!

Karen, Lady Jane and Zygodactylous like this.
  9. Zygodactylous

Zygodactylous Meeting neighbors

Zomg that little couch is too cute! I got my guys a hamster bed but they just pooped on it mostly.

BeanieofJustice likes this.
  10. BeanieofJustice

Steph
    And here is Brittany's set up for Java--who is a Vasa parrot with only one foot. I believe the cage is a Critter Nation cage, if I am not mistaken. Hopefully these ideas can help you out.

Here's a link to the thread: Pictures - Cage adjustments | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Karen likes this.
  11. Farlie

Farlie Rollerblading along the road

Rick

Why doesn't her Profile Page come up?

12. BeanieofJustice

Steph

The message I get when I click on it is:

Avian Avenue Parrot Forum - Error

This member limits who may view their full profile.

As far as I know, it's been that way for a while.

Farlie likes this.
  13. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Andrea
    I thought about her last night... hadn't seen her in a while. Hope all is ok!

Lady Jane and BeanieofJustice like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)