• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My Sun Conure had Coffee and A little sugar both were like the tiniest lick ever

ArchieMilo

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie
Please help i gave him water and other foods so it would be watered down he is sleeping next to his Brother Milo I need herlp he isnt crazy but I need him to be okay. Is there anything I can do I'm worrying. The Coffee had Milk and sugar. The coffee was down and he grabbed a packet of sugar but he only had a little I made sure he drank water. I can't go to the vet because my dad is at work and my other car is broke down please help me I need to do something

ArchieMilo

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie
Do I give him more water veggies please help I love my bird Archie. I have High anxiety issues so I think im overreacting

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it was literally just a lick he should be fine. Leia has dunked her beak into a mug of coffee before and was okay.

Coffee, milk and sugar shouldn't be part of a parrot's regular diet, and I would be concerned if he was actually drinking the coffee. However, what you've described isn't something I would be very concerned about. Keep an eye on him and if his behaviour changes or if he started to look distressed or lethargic, please call your vet for advice.

ArchieMilo

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie
If it was literally just a lick he should be fine. Leia has dunked her beak into a mug of coffee before and was okay.

Coffee, milk and sugar shouldn't be part of a parrot's regular diet, and I would be concerned if he was actually drinking the coffee. However, what you've described isn't something I would be very concerned about. Keep an eye on him and if his behaviour changes or if he started to look distressed or lethargic, please call your vet for advice.
Thank you so Much My friend is watching me panic I do not give him coffee regularly Thank you! <3

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah my Quaker stole my coffee several times.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please try to calm down. Take a few big breaths in and out. Try to let your body relax, starting at your toes and working your way up. A tiny lick of coffee is not going to harm him :) I'm pretty sure you're not going to make it regular habit!

Just let your bird go about his day as normal. If he's usually in his cage at this time with his brother, let him stay there. Freaking out and changing his regular routine might make him worried in turn.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also, if you have a committed beak dunker, you may have to invest in a cup or mug with a lid. I have a glass keepcup but you can get thermal mugs which have the added bonus of keeping your coffee hot :)

ArchieMilo

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie
Please try to calm down. Take a few big breaths in and out. Try to let your body relax, starting at your toes and working your way up. A tiny lick of coffee is not going to harm him :) I'm pretty sure you're not going to make it regular habit!

Just let your bird go about his day as normal. If he's usually in his cage at that time with his brother, let him stay there. Freaking out and changing his regular routine might make him worried in turn.
Thanks so much he's acting normal but do you know how long it would take for him to go into cardiac arrest so I kn

Just let your bird go about his day as normal. If he's usually in his cage at that time with his brother, let him stay there. Freaking out and changing his regular routine might make him worried in turn.
Thanks he's with his brother how long for him to go into Cadiac arrest

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The amount of actual caffeine in a mug of coffee is pretty small - it can be measured in milligrams. Put it this way: if you wanted to try to kill yourself with coffee, you'd have to drink nearly 200 cups and will probably die of water poisoning first. Obviously don't try this but I hope it helps you see how much coffee you have to drink before putting yourself in danger. Your bird would have to drink an awful lot of coffee to be at risk for cardiac arrest - probably more liquid than he drinks a day.

A lick of coffee isn't going to kill him.

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
They can eat small amounts of bad things without issues unless it's like deadly poison for them so he'll be fine. Most of the birds here would be long gone by now if they stole some forbidden or bad for them food.