• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Sprouters

melissa68

Walking the driveway
In preparation for my new bird, I've ordered the Easy Spouter and this other system. The other system arrived today.

I have used the Easy Sprouter for alfalfa and french green sprouts for my hubs and me to put on our sammiches and it works great.

I think this other sprouter will be good for the bird sprouts that don't grow into greens. It comes with 4 trays, so you can use one, two, or all four and was around $16 from Amazon (Victorio VKP1200 deluxe kitchen crop 4-tray seed sprouter)

side by side pic

upload_2019-7-9_15-44-55.png

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I just ordered some sprouting stuff too! I dive bombed @rockoko 's thread and figured I should go for it too! Both for the birds and for me!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Another option for you is the sprout master. It's what I have used for the last 12 years. I love them and they are so well made that I still have and use my orginal.
SproutMaster - 5x6 Tray Sprouter

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Very nice! I’m currently working on my 1st ever batch right now (on day 2 after the soak). I see the little tails breaking through and I’m so happy! I have a “black thumb” - actually I’ve managed to kill a cactus before which is supposed to be almost impossible. I just got a mason jar with 3 different size mesh lids to start, but now that I know I can do it I’ll look into these better options :)

Good luck to you, your future birb will appreciate it!
Another dancing banana for ya :dance4:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I just ordered some sprouting stuff too! I dive bombed @rockoko 's thread and figured I should go for it too! Both for the birds and for me!
Yay! :dance5:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Very nice! I’m currently working on my 1st ever batch right now (on day 2 after the soak). I see the little tails breaking through and I’m so happy! I have a “black thumb” - actually I’ve managed to kill a cactus before which is supposed to be almost impossible. I just got a mason jar with 3 different size mesh lids to start, but now that I know I can do it I’ll look into these better options :)

Good luck to you, your future birb will appreciate it!
Another dancing banana for ya :dance4:

I just started my 2nd batch ever...lentils...and I see tails too! :dance4: Yay for you too!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I can totally see that happening! It makes me happy to be involved in making something healthy for them.
I can’t wait to try sprouting so many different seeds/mixes!

@rockoko :dance4: that’s for your 2nd batch!

melissa68

Walking the driveway
Another option for you is the sprout master. It's what I have used for the last 12 years. I love them and they are so well made that I still have and use my orginal.
SproutMaster - 5x6 Tray Sprouter
I saw that sprouter on Sprout People but wanted to spend a bit less money. Don't you love Sprout People? Has anyone tried the bird mixes from Spout People? I got a pound of little bird.

I also don't know about sprouting for humans except for the microgreen spouts on sammiches. What other sprouts for humans? I mean, I know we can eat all sprouts but what specifically and how do you use/eat them?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I saw that sprouter on Sprout People but wanted to spend a bit less money. Don't you love Sprout People? Has anyone tried the bird mixes from Spout People? I got a pound of little bird.

I also don't know about sprouting for humans except for the microgreen spouts on sammiches. What other sprouts for humans? I mean, I know we can eat all sprouts but what specifically and how do you use/eat them?
I have heard some people on here like the bird mixes, I just ordered a sampler and the microgreens kit because I love sunflower sprouts! Sprout People actually has a recipe section! I'm planning to work them into salads and slaws.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Thanks for the tip, I checked out the website and will def be trying the lil bird mix.
Also....look guys! I harvested my 1st crop this am on day 3, and they are BEAUTIFUL :dance4:
@javi I can absolutely see what you mean, I’m already starting my 2nd batch! It is addicting lol
Melissa, I’m so excited for you to start sprouting when you get your baby! Soo fun :)

Attachments

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Guys I built my system for about $5 & they seem to do a good enough job for now.

IMG_20190705_223533.jpg IMG_20190705_223547_hdr.jpg
Next upgrade will be S.S. Rings for my mason jars & a couple of stands for them. I already made the craft mess strainers, I'll just use the non-rustable rings :lol:(this next time around)

Unapproved Vendor's has better prices than the sprout people for different beans. They look great, I just haven't made them yet.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
@Rain Bow I love that you made your own! And yes, I can confirm Unapproved Vendor’s sproutables are awesome. That’s what I’m using! The ones in the pic are the Gourmet Grains and they are beautiful, organic seeds :cool:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
@Rain Bow I love that you made your own! And yes, I can confirm Unapproved Vendor’s sproutables are awesome. That’s what I’m using! The ones in the pic are the Gourmet Grains and they are beautiful, organic seeds :cool:
Do you have to soak the gourmet grains overnight first before sprouting?