• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My sister is heating glue for a costume and the smell fills the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm rattling with anxiety!

My sister is working on a Halloween costume and she is using glue sticks in a nonstick pot in her bedroom. I told her about the concerns. She reassured me that her door would be closed and she would open a window.
It's driving me up the wall because even though she's three rooms down, and my door is closed, I can still SMELL heated glue, even after I opened all of the windows and turned on the fan in the room to blow the stench out! This has been going on for about a week, and the smell lingers. Thankfully, Java hasn't shown any side effects, but I've been extra paranoid because there is no getting through to my sister. I told her that if I could smell it, then he could smell it and that he was probably breathing it in but she kept saying that all the windows were opened, her door was closed, so there was nothing else that could be done except for me to open my windows. If I did that, my room would be freezing.
Today, to add to her costume, she decided to boil a few gallons of coffee. Thankfully, she's using a large stainless steel pot, but she's boiling it to the point of the smell traveling to my room, and my room is right next to the kitchen. I'm not sure if burnt coffee is hazardous to breathe, but her disregard for his safety is putting me between a rock and a hard place. She insists that Java is fine as long as the windows are open and my door is closed.
I don't know what else to do. She's set on doing what she wants, even at his expense! Now my grandmother is talking about getting new cookware for Christmas, but she doesn't want SS. She wants ceramic or 'something that doesn't stick'.

:mad2:

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Oh no! I’m glad nothing’s happened to Java but that is so excrutiating and frustrating :arghh: Can you ask your sister to give you a heads up, maybe you could take Java and hang out in the car with the heater for a while until she finishes gluing? You can also stuff a towel under your door (and or hers).

My sister uses a ton of perfume and hair spray, which normally isn’t an issue since the birdroom is far away but since Basil’s been sick I’ve been keeping her in my room which is much closer to the source of the sprays. I use the towel under the door and also drape a fitted sheet over my entire door so that when it’s closed, the sheet blocks off most of the gaps between the frame. That might help mitigate it a bit. I hope you can talk your grandma out of nonstick cookwear :( Ceramic would be safe. Maybe find some awesome looking photos of ceramic sets and show her excitedly, it might sway her to them :hilarious:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! I’m glad nothing’s happened to Java but that is so excrutiating and frustrating :arghh: Can you ask your sister to give you a heads up, maybe you could take Java and hang out in the car with the heater for a while until she finishes gluing? You can also stuff a towel under your door (and or hers).

My sister uses a ton of perfume and hair spray, which normally isn’t an issue since the birdroom is far away but since Basil’s been sick I’ve been keeping her in my room which is much closer to the source of the sprays. I use the towel under the door and also drape a fitted sheet over my entire door so that when it’s closed, the sheet blocks off most of the gaps between the frame. That might help mitigate it a bit. I hope you can talk your grandma out of nonstick cookwear :( Ceramic would be safe.
Even with a head's up, I have nowhere to take Java. The car is gone most of the day since my grandmother works. And my sister burns glue ALL day! And she's constantly walking through the house to show me her progress. I'll grab some towels and shove them under my door, and I'm going to talk my grandmother's ear off about nonstick. I'll even buy the ceramic myself if it keeps Teflon out of the house. I get so paranoid that I'll find Java at the bottom of his cage because someone 'thought' he couldn't smell/inhale it.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Would it be possible to rent a hotel room or pet-friendly airbnb for a few days until Halloween? La Quinta is pet friendly but airbnb would be much cheaper.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would it be possible to rent a hotel room or pet-friendly airbnb for a few days until Halloween? La Quinta is pet friendly but airbnb would be much cheaper.
No :no:
During the week, I have to be home to watch my special needs great aunt since she goes to an adult day program. I'm the only one home when she gets off.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ahhh, siblings...:shake:

The towels should help with the fumes, and doubly so if you can convince your sister to do the same to her door too. Draping a sheet over the door like @soleaux suggested will seal the top and sides as well.

Do you have an air purifier in your room? Or a space heater you can keep Java near so you can open the windows?

Keeping Java (and you) in my thoughts!!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have an air purifier in your room? Or a space heater you can keep Java near so you can open the windows?
I have a humidifier (still looking for a good purifier that won't break the bank), and I have a space heater. I may just open my windows for a bit each day since my sister is inconsiderate, and I'll also throw a blanket or sheet over my door.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
I see :( I hope the towels help and that your sister finishes her costume soon... If it’s any consolation, because Java hasn’t shown even mild symptoms of respiratory discomfort it isn’t bad enough to warrant a severe, acute reaction yet. Keep a close eye on his breathing though. Keeping you both in my thoughts!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I see :( I hope the towels help and that your sister finishes her costume soon... If it’s any consolation, because Java hasn’t shown even mild symptoms of respiratory discomfort it isn’t bad enough to warrant a severe, acute reaction yet. Keep a close eye on his breathing though. Keeping you both in my thoughts!
Thank you. I will do everything I can to get through to them, even if it means harassing them.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Brittany0208 have you ever been in a hospital room that has positive pressure so no bacteria can get into it? I think that blowing air into the room from the window will work better to keep fumes out than blowing air out the window, which only brings fumes into your room.

There are a number of non-stick cookwares that do not harm your bird. These newer non PTFE/PFOA cooking utensill work much better than the Teflon (Teflon is very poisonous). I'll show you a few examples of them;
Amazon.com: non-ptfe pfoa cook ware: Home & Kitchen

The less expensive ones have to be handled more carefully - but they work. Jus be sure you use all wooden or plastic utensils with them.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 have you ever been in a hospital room that has positive pressure so no bacteria can get into it? I think that blowing air into the room from the window will work better to keep fumes out than blowing air out the window, which only brings fumes into your room.
That makes sense. Thank you. Does the ceramic cookware have to burn off before being used?

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Nope. Just wash it with dish washing soap and water.

And make sure the description actually says PTFE and PFOA free.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A good hot glue gun would make her job a lot easier and cut down on the fumes substantially. I do a lot of hot gluing myself and this gun is my favorite. Unlike others I've used, I can't smell it at all.
Amazon.com: Adhesive Technologies 0114M AdTech Pro 80 Hot Glue Gun for Crafting and Home Improvement | 8X the Power | Bonus Nozzle Tips | Stands Up on Its Own | Item #0114: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
I'll tell her about it, and if I have to, I'll buy it so she'll stop stinking up the house with her projects. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.