• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Reptiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It seems there are many people with "ball" pythons, do they call them that because they are in a ball all the time? Sorry to seem dunce, but I know nothing about snakes, but I always see ball pythons for rehoming on CL

You've pretty much got it ;) They'll often ball up and hide their heads, or stick their little heads or noses out from the 'ball' formation they take. Mine would much rather hide in a ball rather than strike when scared lol

They are also known as Royal Pythons in Europe and Africa. The term 'royal' python is said to have come from Cleopatra wearing the snakes as bracelets on her wrists and for them being used to kill rats in palaces. I'm not sure how true those stories are though lol It's feasible to 'wear' them though as some of them will just stay put coiled around an arm or wrist.

Sydneymom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
Yep, that is right. They ball up as a part of their defense. A ball pythons normally would rather hide from you than bite you. I've only been bitten by babies and it has never actually hurt.

I will be posting pictures of the Daytona show if anyone wants me to. It is not until August though. And I just went in to check on Akina, the first female shown, and she is already into a 2nd shed cycle in less than a month so hopefully this means eggs are on the way. :laughing12:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Very Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.