• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My Quaker has severe liver disease :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I understand, Lisa. One thing to keep in mind is this is the 911 forum which brings out more 'urgent and immediate help' rather than just suggestions. :)

Slic102

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lisa Cook
Is there somewhere else I should have posted? He was already in the hospital, so I wasn't exactly looking for someone to diagnose him. I was looking for advice on quality of life, how long to wait before giving up, supplements I could use if he recovered. I already had a diagnosis. I explained it all from the beginning. I believe there was even a post made SAYING that my bird had zinc toxicity. To my knowlege that person is not a vet, and that is when I became defensive. If my post didn't belong in this section, someone should have moved it. I'm just back to my original thinking which is that I don't belong on a bird forum. I appreciate those who gave such awesome advice and moral support which I needed so badly, but I'm really not thinking I'll be back much. I'd love to have anyone who wants to be my fb friend to add me. My entire name is Lisa Cook, and I'm in Dallas.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Your welcome to stay, Lisa. It's all good. :)

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hi Lisa

Glad to hear your little guy is home and doing better. Sorry we came across rough about the zinc. Now lets all move on and focus on this little guys recovery. Please keep us posted on his progress as we are just all concerned parrot owners helping one another.:)

Slic102

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lisa Cook
Ok...on the plus side...of given the tools the liver is a regenerative organ. On the downside if it is a heritary or gentic trait is is fatal no matter what tools/treatments the body is given to help heal.

How can all these people say they LIKE this???? My bird has heriditary liver disease and my vet said he could live many more years. I believe I said that in my original post.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Lisa how is Simon today? Just stay focused on his good turn and stay positive. :hug8: We all care and just want to help, sometimes that gets lost in translation. :hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ok...on the plus side...of given the tools the liver is a regenerative organ. On the downside if it is a heritary or gentic trait is is fatal no matter what tools/treatments the body is given to help heal.

How can all these people say they LIKE this???? My bird has heriditary liver disease and my vet said he could live many more years. I believe I said that in my original post.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if the above post upset you. I have dealt with the heartbreak of dealing with several cockatiels that did have heriditary liver problems. There was a line of show bred tiels that were had the genetic trait of liver problems and failure. They were from some of the best top line tiels in the US, and most did well at shows. The sad part was that when a bird was sold it was whispered to each other to try and get as many babies by the time the bird was 4 years old. Because by the time these birds were 3-4 years old they were dead from liver failure. Each generation dies earlier than the previous generation. I worked with a show breeder that just could not keep any of his babies alive. He was cheap and would not work with a vet to find the cause. So he farmed them out to me to breed, and try to raise and save any babies. I suspected liver problems with the parents and while breeding gave them supportive supplements in addition to their daily diet. This worked good while the babies were in the nest too, because they were not dying by the time they were 3 weeks old. But once pulled and during handfeeding they grew and developed nicely, appeared fine, and then suddenly just drop dead....no warning. I took each (there were 4) to the vet and each one died from liver failure. It was a heart rendering experience. This is one of several experiences like this.

And I can speak from personal experience I worked with some of the best vets in my area, and did treatments that if it was not heriditary they would have turned around. On page 2 of this thread I listed what treatments were successful.

It sounds like your bird is in good hands. Your vets should come up with some good supportive treatments that can aid the liver to regenerate some of the damage.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Lisa, In my case (and Im sure the same could be said for the rest also) its not liking what is wrong, not at all! Its liking the tools suggested for helping a bird through the process of healing the liver. Having had minor liver issues with a bird in the past, its information I still appreciate should we go down that road again. Im sorry if it upset you, we truly want only the best for you and Simon.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Your doctor diagnosed him as you said per your post. With that he should also give you a prognosis and long term treatment. A bird kept in the hospital for a month is very unusual so again I go back to the doctor for long term prognosis. Is it the initial treatment that takes so long...and his quality of life will improve? Doctors also look to us and what they think we want. If it is "I want everything done no matter what" they will do their best. Some will present themselves different limit the extent they want their bird treated. It is a hard decision. I am so sorry your first love is so sick and am sending prayers for both of you.
Peggy

Slic102

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lisa Cook
First, I'd like to apologize to those I "told off" in this thread. I have very thin skin when it comes to forums just because of a past experience that was heart breaking for me. I've also got tons of other stressful things going on in my lift at the moment, and yesterday was a particularly bad bad day!

Can we start over? I do know that each and every one of you who posted was only trying to help Simon and I, and despite some of what I said back, I absolutely do realize that, so allow me to appolgized to anyone I offended. I don't think I already post this, but ya'll want to hear the real irony of it all? I was looking at my itemized bill last night and lo and behold, there it was.....a charge for testing for zinc poisoning!!!:eek: They ran so many tests that I guess I sort of tuned out what came back negative and only heard what came back positive.

I've asked Jill to close this thread and I will start a new one in another section on his progress and some more questions. I promise I have my big girl panties on now:o: Thanks for being patient with me and for really caring.

Status
Not open for further replies.