• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My Quaker has severe liver disease :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slic102

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lisa Cook
Hi guys, first of all, I did get my macaw and things are going great with him....I'll post pics later today.

My good FB friend, G.G. Deaton (not sure what she goes by here) recommeneded I post this over here because there are so many knowledgable people who might be able to answer some of my questions.

First, a little backbround. We have had Simon for 4 years now, and he was close to a year old when we got him. Me, being uneducated in where to buy a bird at the time, bought him at a pet shop (since closed down) that was a horrible place. In fact, I was originally going in to pick up an eclectus that I had a deposit on, but when I got there he was on the bottom of his cage lookin quite lethargic, and there was no way I was paying that kind of money for a sick bird. Since they wouldn't refund my deposit, I used it to buy Simon, cage and toys.

In his first blood test, it showed he was a carrier of Chlamydia Psittaci. He was my first bird, so I didn't have to worry about infecting any other birds, so the vet told me to give him meds he sent me home with, and told me to come back in 10 days to have blood checked again. His results came back fine, but the doc was concerned at where we got a bird that was a carrier. Anyway, over the past 4 years, he has been my ONLY bird who has ever had to go to the vet for a sick visit. He has been very sick at least 4 times.

This time, it came on just like that! He was fine one day, and the next, he was puffed and looked like he could barely keep his eyes open. We took him to the vet within hours. My primary vet was out of town, so I had to see a vet I'm not really familiar with. As she looked him over, and he pooped a bright green poop on the scale, AND he had lost weight since his last visit, she suspected liver disease. They took him into the hospital because he breathing was labored, then ordered a bunch of tests to the tune of over 1000. I was SHOCKED to say the least. He could not have tests done that day because he'd go into open mouth breathing everytime they tried to draw blood or get an xray, and they'd have to put him on oxygen. The second day they did get an xray and the doc called me to tell me that she was pretty sure it was liver disease, because of his really enlarged liver. The next day they were able to get blood, which confirmed that he has severe liver disease (which is a bit different than fatty liver disease). He's also anemic. He won't eat on his own so he is getting gavage feedings and being hydrated. He's being treated with a liver detoxin, a broad spectrun antibiotic, milk thistle combined with something else that I have forgotten. Tuesday my primary was there and he called me and said that he'd consulted with one of the top vets in the US, Dr. Burkett and he confirmed that not only was it what my vet had diagnosed, but with his background and with what he gets fed, and the fact that he's never been overweight (plus he's only 5) that rather than this being dietary, it was heriditary. Now what I'm looking at is an unknown prognosis as to how long he will be there, have no idea what the quality of his life will be if he makes it, and to make it all just wonderful, it's costing me 154 per day for him to stay there. I went to visit and took his cage mate yesterday and he looked so bad. Even the color of his head feathers were no longer grey, they were a bluish white. They didn't even act like the knew each other at first...then Simon got some energy to preen Ollie and all was good. He had about 6 minutes of doing that before he started looking like he was falling asleep again.

My questions: for those of you who have been through this, did your bird make it and what sort of treatments did he have? What was the quality of life afterwards? How long was he at the vet? (I've been told it could be months) Was yours fatty liver disease or sever liver disease....I was told by the vet that what he has is harder to treat because it is so advanced and since he's been sick off and on for most of his life, plus the vet knows what I feed him so it's not a matter of a dietary change, although he will have to be on low fat pellets now that I'll have to get from the vet. Did you try holistic treatment, and if so, what did you use and what seemed to help the most. Did you treat your bird at home or did they stay for quite awhile at the vet? I've been told not to use anything wholistic now as it will interfere with what he is already on. :confused: Has anyone had a bird die from this? Did they die at the vets, or at home? Has anyone had to put a bird down because of this. I don't want him to be miserable and in pain, but I don't want to lose him and it's breaking my heart.

I'm just devastated since he was my first and will always be my favorite parrot. He's my buddy bird and I just don't know how to deal with this! Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If he hasn't been living on an all seed diet for the last four years in addition to the bright green poop and the lethargy, I would have him tested for chronic Zinc poisoning. That could be what's causing the liver failure.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I am sure there will be some people coming along with some advice. I would talk to your vet about Milk Thistle and Aloe Detox for starters. I hope you can get his condition under control. :hug8:

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't really know what to say about this as it has never affected me, however I am terribly sorry to know that this is happening to you. I wish you all the best :hug8:

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
As bad as this may sound, my suggestion would be to put him down if he doesn't start turning around by next monday or tuesday. Its hard to let go, but it may be the best thing for him. Like you said, you don't want him in pain. In the meantime, i will be praying for his recovery. I hope someone here can give you answers. I all I have ever had was cockatiels.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hi Lisa. You already know that it's all about quality of life. To just exist (with pain and suffering) is not enough. Our love is not enough and takes a back seat at that point. There is also a point for all of us where the "costs" of the medical treatment do become a factor. If Simon is not going to recover then spending all that money is just postponing the inevitable and prolonging his suffering. Please don't take this wrong but given that the doctors feel this is hereditary and is now at quite an advanced stage. He has probably had it his whole life if that is the case and the prognosis is not good.

We all face these decisions at one time or another. I know you love him very much. That same love is what will help you make the right decision.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What is his diet right now? And do you give him herbs such as milk thistle?

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I had a Budgie who had severe liver disease at only a year old. She was also diagnosed with an X-ray and blood tests. It wasn't diet related and she was very young. My vets also suspected that it was something she was hatched with.

My vet was willing to explore other treatment options but she was also very realistic with me. She told me that Fawkes was already in a very advanced stage of liver failure and she was so young that anything we tried would only postpone the inevitable for a little while.

I decided that it would be better for her to be put to sleep.

I am also currently taking care of another Budgie that is having liver problems. However, this time it is diet related and we are treating her differently because there are other options left and we can turn her illness around.

It is a terrible situation to be in. I'm very sorry that your Quaker is sick. :(

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I am so sorry to hear your baby is sick, it is never easy and I understand your pain. I don not have any advice for you, vet care can be $$ draining, and I am not sure why it is costing $150 a day for your baby to stay at the vet? When Joey was so sick in 2009 he was being tubefed around the clock and it was only $56 a day. Please keep us updated.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lisa Im so sorry your buddy is so sick :( Dr.Burkett has a fantastic reputation and it sounds like what he and your vets are doing is right on track for what they are seeing. I have not had to go through liver disease with any of mine but one of my LCA's had a mystery illness that was affecting her liver. She was treated with vibravenos and milk thistle and turned right around- whatever she had was taken care of, we just werent lucky enough for an answer.Sounds like everything they are giving your quaker is focused on liver support & healing. Im sorry you are going through this. :( :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I would say that if Dr. Burkett is treating your baby, you have the best of the best and he would have already thought of testing for heavy metal poisoning...but do mention it..I agree with John...as hard as it is to let go dear heart, sometimes you just have to.:hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I have no advice for you but just wanted to give you a big hug... :hug8:

abbydp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tara
I am so sorry you are going through this. As you can see from the posts I just lost my heart bird Peep. I took her to and met Dr. B on Monday. He is wonderful to deal with and will try and fight if it is fair to the bird. He does not just do things to do them and make money. Take any of his advice very seriously. I was in a similar position. Peep was found to have what we thought was a mass, but turned out to be Pdd. She was still eating, playing a little, alert, and had good days and bad days, not just bad ones. I am sure if I was making the decision for me I could have treated her and kept her here longer. I do not have any other birds, so even being Pdd or something else contagious there was no danger in her being in my home. I made it clear though that the decision would be made for her only, and in her best interests. It did not seem fair to keep her here until I had waited too long. She had a good day Monday, went on an adventure, and had lots of treats. It is never enough time but to go out on a high note isn't the worst thing. Being stuck at home and watching him suffer because it is a weekend, or middle of the night and not being able to end his pain quickly enough would be the worst I could think of. I am not saying to put him down right now, or telling you what you should do. Just look at life through his eyes and that will tell you what you need to know. He doesn't worry about tomorrow, he only knows today. YOU know your bird, trust your instincts. If you truly think he wants to and is up to fighting - then go for it and I will wish you great strength and luck. There are resources here to give you strength and information to fight the brave fight.

Love is taking their pain and making it our own. I am so sorry you are feeling this pain now. There are many people here who care about and support you and your sweet little guy. You are not alone. If you need to talk we are all here.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am so sorry about Simon, Lisa and am glad that you posted about him here - we have so many knowledgeable folks

I gave you the info on Dr McCluggage yesterday - it might be worth talking to him and letting him review Simon's info with Dr Burkett and see what they come up with

I wish there was more I could do for you and Simon

:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ok...on the plus side...of given the tools the liver is a regenerative organ. On the downside if it is a heritary or gentic trait is is fatal no matter what tools/treatments the body is given to help heal.

Some info I have save that has worked with birds that did not have a genetic predisposition to liver problems.

Under normal circumstances a bird mfg. and synthesizes vitamin C in the body. When it is sick the body’s ability to do this is hindered, thus supplementing is needed. This is especially so when you have suspected hepatic (liver) problems or damage. Vitamin C is a great supplement when sick and to aid the body when there are liver problems. A liver is regenerative, but it needs to be given the *tools* to help heal itself.

Some of the tools are: Vitamin C (while sick), lactulose, natural exposure to sunlight or full spectrum lighting close to the caging, and a changing of caging, such as a flight cage that encourages more movement and exercise, or some flight time daily.

When there are liver problems the function of the liver is hindered. This also can effect vitamin A which is formed in the liver from beta‑carotene, thus supplementing of beta-carotene is needed. An increase of the water soluble nutrients to the body. Brewers Yeast is an excellent source for these.

Milk thistle can be given for liver problems. Dandelion can also be given to detoxify and act as a stimulant to the liver. 1 drop of each (in extract form) to each 1/2 ounce of lactulose (some info below) can be mixed up and the bird given a drop 2 times a day. These 2 herbal extracts can also be added to the drinking water at a ratio of 1 drop to 3 ounces of water, and changed 2 times a day.

I've found that everything has a cause and effect to other body functions in our feathered friends. To help them many times we have to get to the root of the problem. Such as why your bird does have liver problem. Also how does this effect the other organs, and go from there. Many times giving the body the needed supplements and nutritional support (tools) can do more healing than any medication.

Lactulose (Cephulac)

Lactulose acts as an osmosis "R" wordant to the absorption of potential toxins from the GI tract. Used as a treatment with liver disease to decrease the load of metabolites that must be processed through the liver. What this does is reduce toxic potential of the blood ammonia due to liver dysfunction.

It also acts as an appetite stimulant.

It acidifies the intestinal contents.

It is also be effective in establishing a gastrointestinal environment that favors the growth of intestinal flora. This eliminates the need for lactobacillus supplementing. Lactulose can be used daily for weeks. If diarrhea is noted reduce the dosage.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am so sorry that Simon and you are going through this. My heart goes out to you. Many :hug8:coming.

And Tara I am sorry to hear about Peep
:hug8:

Last edited:

Slic102

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lisa Cook
I am sure there will be some people coming along with some advice. I would talk to your vet about Milk Thistle and Aloe Detox for starters. I hope you can get his condition under control. :hug8:
He is on milk thistle and is on 2 different meds to detox his liver and I asked them about the aloe detox and they said that would interfere with his current treatment.

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
I'm sorry you are going through this with Simon, I know it's heartbreaking for you. Only you can make the decisions that may need to be made. I do hope so much that maybe the meds will help in some way. Big Hugs are coming your way.

Slic102

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lisa Cook
Hi Lisa. You already know that it's all about quality of life. To just exist (with pain and suffering) is not enough. Our love is not enough and takes a back seat at that point. There is also a point for all of us where the "costs" of the medical treatment do become a factor. If Simon is not going to recover then spending all that money is just postponing the inevitable and prolonging his suffering. Please don't take this wrong but given that the doctors feel this is hereditary and is now at quite an advanced stage. He has probably had it his whole life if that is the case and the prognosis is not good.

We all face these decisions at one time or another. I know you love him very much. That same love is what will help you make the right decision.
Thank you JL, you know we have had our differences but this is what I've been struggling with and someone finally said it. I have put a limit on his time to start eating and come home, and when that time arrives I really have no choice. I know he's just a little quaker, but he and I have always had a special bond and this is breaking my heart. My husband says I'm being negative, but I just have a gut feeling that he's not going to make it this time around. Seeing him yesterday was heartbreaking because he was so not himself, and it's been a week now, and he seems no better than he was the day I took him in. We can't bring him home for the night tonight like we thought because I have to meet with a social worker about my mom's care in the morning at 9 and they want him there at 8. Never coulld make it back in time in Dallas traffic.

Anyway, thanks for the honest advice and kind words. I really appreciate someone finally saying this might be what I'll have to do.

Slic102

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lisa Cook
Thanks for all the kind words and advice. I may not have been clear, I am in Texas so Dr. B is not who is treating Simon, but my vet sent him all his tests and lab work and background and he confirmed the diagnosis. I have no idea why it costs so much other than he is on many meds and this vet is about the most expensive in Dallas I've come to believe. I like him, I trust him, but will be changing vets once this is over. Someone asked about his diet. He and all my small birds eat a special blend that I get from an excellent bird store here. It has all sorts of grains, pellets, small pieces of dried corn and fruits and pumpkin seeds. Also, all my birds get freshly ground veggies and fruits of all sorts morning and night. Sometimes they get birdie bread, but Simon never liked that much. His favorite things were the fresh veggies. The only suppliment they ever get is about a half a teaspoon of fresh aloe in the water morning and night. I know I've already said this, but my gut is usually right about my birds, and it's telling me that he's just not going to recover from this. My vets both refuse to give any sort of prognosis other than with his liver being this bad, it could take months for him to be able to come home and they cannot tell me what the quality of his life will be then. I don't know if they think I have a money tree in my back yard, but sadly I don't, and I can only afford a few more days of this. Lesson learned, never ever buy a bird at a shady bird shop. In fact, the only bird shop I will ever deal with is Treetop. They will take in ANY bird of any condition and get them vet care, and try to rehab them and then adopt them out. They are NOT about the money as I've actually been given a bird by the owner because my second caique died in a horrendous happy hut accident. That was only about a month ago, and I'm still not over that as he was the first bird I've ever had die....now Simon. I don't think anyone will EVER understand how hard it is to lose a bird. I've cried more about Simon than I ever have about a dog that's died. Oh and to add insult to injury, my 12 year old pom had double hip replacement at this vet, and I'm still paying off care credit for that surgery, and I think they did something wrong to him, because not only has his hair on his back side never grown back, but he's lost all the hair on his body but his tail and head. He has what looks like a tumor that came up last week, and this week he is getting black sores all over him. He had a vet apt. the Saturday after we took Simon. It was a different vet. I had to cancel.....all the money and care credit I had went for Simon. I'm pretty sure my sweet Kirby who's been with me for 12 years is soon to be put to sleep. I'm just sad....so so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.