• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my planted shrimp tank :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
No pics of the shrimp, though you can see a couple on the driftwood.

One of the stores near me got in some cherry shrimp a while back and they've been breeding like mad in their tank, so I got some. I have no clue how many I have, they were breeding for me, but I put my little betta girl in with them for a while and she decided she liked to attack and kill them, even being about her size, so she isn't in there anymore, but I do still have enough shrimp in there. Planting is a bit sparse, but I haven't been able to find any more of the rotala in town since I got a bunch a while back. Doesn't look as good as SOME people on here's tanks do(hehe), but once it fills in and I get some sort of foreground plant for it, it should look pretty nice :)

Attachments

SkyBaby

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kira
Nice tank! I have a couple planted tanks myself. One is over ridden with algae and the other is doing pretty well. Try anacharis if you can't find anymore rotala. That stuff grows and grows. I had some in my tank a while ago. I'm going to buy some more one of these days.

I have Rotala Indeca (sp) in mine. That's doing really well too. My java ferns are dying, but I think that's because of the ramshorn snails in there eating them. They're breeding faster than I can pick them out. They drive me nuts.

What kind of drift wood are you using? Where did you get it from? I tried a piece of mopani in there after letting it sit in a tub of water for a long time. Never again. My water was so dark from all the tannins I almost couldn't see through it.

Your tank looks healthier than either of mine do. What's your substrate?

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
I've got flourite in there, and I use excel occasionally, so I can't have anacharis(it'll kill it) I'm hoping mine doesn't get overriden with algae, I just did rearrange tanks(I had schultz aquasoil and different plants) since I wanted to take down the 29 that my betta was in, so I changed substrate and put a different light on. I don't remember what the driftwood is, it is just the normal brown kind. I also had to soak mine forever and it still turns the tank brown if I don't keep up on the water changes, but at least it gives the java ferns a place to try to grow. They really don't like me much.

Also, I haven't ever had a problem with my snails eating the plants. I am trying to get rid of the pond snails(just don't like the way they look) but I love my ramshorns. I think they're cute :)

Status
Not open for further replies.