• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Pi doesn't seem like he wants to play.

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
My BH was never much for playing with toys, even tho I would show her how. Even now, she only chews on things when she's being sassy and trying to show her attitude. She's very much like you describe your baby. Jewel is more reserved, she acts like "the adult" of my flock.
My WC on the other hand, loves to play and chew on stuff. Crawls over his "space", making noises and being silly. Leo is more the little "clown" of my flock.
Each of my birds is very different. I'm not sure if it's due to subspecies in the case of my Pi's, or just individuality of each bird.

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
Mine really doesn't play much with hanging toys, but she does like a variety of foot toys which she plays with and then drops them to the floor for me to play fetch.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd, Lurch, and Dobby all love/loved bells and things that make noise or can be beat up. Dobby still likes to chew and Momazon gave me a huge supply of chew wood wafers and things so I set them up for him. One day I came home and he had demolished all the wood circles and so I put more in and he refuses to touch them now, crazy boy, but he sure likes wool blankets, towels, and the trim by his favorite roost spot over the laundry nook.
We just discovered it appears he hates fuzzy blankets as far as chewing them so we are going to try find some more for the chairs and things so some of you might want to keep that in mind if your guys love to chew up things that you try to protect.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also worth getting foot toys as well as stuff to hang up on the cage - cardboard bangles, chunks of balsa or pine, beads threaded onto paper rope/sisal/leather, willow balls and so on. Leia likes picking these up and throwing them for me to retrieve.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Lots of good advice.

It took a while and I thought Charlie was a couch potato when I first adopted him. I didn't think he played. I tried a variety of foot toys, foraging toys, etc. After a while he completely took on to toys (and very actively plays each day with me needing to ensure each day that he has something) but it took consistent trying of a variety of things for months.

With a baby bird or any bird new to your home give them time. Lots if time.

Enjoy.

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
I forgot to add: If after time your bird still will not play with a hanging toy, you might be able to deconstruct it into foot toys. If I add a new hanging toy, it can take several weeks before my bird will start playing with it if at all. If not, I will break it down and give her the smaller pieces to play with and she will.