• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Pi doesn't seem like he wants to play.

CaneCurt

Moving in
Real Name
Curt
Hello everyone! So we are a week in to having our baby in his new home and for the most part, everything is going great. He is social, petable, non-aggressive, and by all indications he is settling in nicely. The only thing I notice that seems out of the ordinary is that he does not play at all. We have tried various toys, floor play with a parrot ball, anything we can think of to engage him in playtime, but he just isn't interested. All he wants to do is get to the highest point that he can and just stand there. If he is on his play stand or in his cage, he is at the top. If any one of us is holding him, he wants to get up on the shoulder. We have a firm rule about not allowing him up on the shoulders.

I would like to ask if anyone has had this problem or if there are any ideas of how we can encourage Darwin to play. Thank you!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Give him time.
That is his way to tell you that he don't feel comfortable in your house yet, and they always seeks the highest place to feel more safe.
He is social, petable, non-aggressive,
A baby is never aggressive so that don't tell you a thing. Just wait until he is 1-2 years old. :D
In that video you posted last week also shown that he is a little bit anxious so all he need is more time. You have all the time in the world, so just take it slow.
And don't worry, he will love to play when he has settle in. And do be surprised when you find him upside down in some curtains.:D

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch would bite my neck or ears so he had to earn back shoulder time, Nerd never did, neither does Dobby, so it depends on the bird. Lurch would get frustrated because he wanted something to happen and it didn't so he'd bite, but he learned biting didn't get the desired results so he backed off a lot and I learned some of the things he was trying to ask for so it was a learning curve for both of us. They do love shoulders so just learn your bird and read his moods as he gets older to avoid bites if he decides to go that way to communicate.

CaneCurt

Moving in
Real Name
Curt
Like Dartman says, there will probably be a day where he can earn shoulder time, but he needs to grow up first in my opinion. Darwin was the first bird to hatch in the clutch and we saw some dominant behavior towards his siblings when we went to visit him. The breeder called me today to see how Darwin was doing and in talking to him, he even referred to Darwin as the Alpha bird in the group. I guess that explains his behavior. He just needs some time to get used to the fact that he is not the alpha in the family unit and I think denying him the shoulder will probably help in that. In the meantime, all we can do is be patient and just keep doing what we are doing.

Lara608

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lara
When I first brought my Pi home, she did the same thing. Sat on the same perch, highest one, all day. I was afraid she wasn't drinking and was a nervous Nelly!

I think when they are so young and in a new home they just observe. I have had Miss Moira about three months or so and she is really coming into her own. She tears up her toys, eats a variety of foods and I think she may be closing on on saying "pretty bird." I think once Darwin gets to know you and your family, he'll come out of his shell.

As for shoulder time, Moira gets precious little for two reasons: one: she's a klutz and slides off and two: If I look at her she'll nip my face. I tend to keep her on my lower arm or wrist.

I asked about shoulder time here not too long ago. It's in the forum somewhere. There is a nice article about how height dominance is a bunch of hooey.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Tiki doesn't really play. She will chew up cardboard and some light wood like yucca and go looking for dark nesty spots. She likes to sit on me and get her neck and head rubbed and is very gentle. She was about 10 when I got her, was rescued and can't fly. So I'm not sure what the normal activity level is for pi's.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I agree with those who say that he is probably still adjusting to the environment in general. But I would also like to say that, even once he is settled, it may take him some time to get adjusted to a new toy. For my tiels, sometimes they will have a new toy sit in their cage for weeks, sometimes a month, before they ever touch it. But then, once they do, it usually is destroyed by the end of the week! :hehe:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird took months to decide some new toy or anything else was worthy. Lurch was much quicker and loved to make a point with some of them, beating the crap outa one while looking at me like this could be you. Dobby likes bells and chewing on anything forbidden. He really loved a rubber open ball thing with a bell in it, and his favorites I was given when I was given him.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Darwin was the first bird to hatch in the clutch and we saw some dominant behavior towards his siblings when we went to visit him. The breeder called me today to see how Darwin was doing and in talking to him, he even referred to Darwin as the Alpha bird in the group.
Sad that the breeder don't know that alpha and dominance doesn't exist in birds, that is just a myth.
there will probably be a day where he can earn shoulder time,
A baby should not need to earn something at all. IMO if you not allowed them near where they want to be, you are telling them that you don't like and trust them and that is not a good start for a great bonding. To refuse them near will only make them sad. You must remember that you have a baby. You don't have a monster.. (yet, he he)
Just look att babies in a flock and you see them so close to each other wanting contact. That is what your baby want now.

And like I said, I allowed all my birds on my shoulder, until they bite me or attack me the first time.
It's not about when they will bite and if they will do it, it is how often. (and if we are smart we learn every time they bite us, because they always bite for a reason)
A bite is the parrots only protection, and we shall never take it personal, it's not to compare to when a dog bite you.

Trust is something that must be their in two direction. I you don't trust your parrot you can not demand that the bird should trust you.
So for me I trust my bird from Day One and I have raised 3 Maxis and all went perfect. ♥

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It can help if you play with the toys yourself. Shake them around, fiddle with the beads, pull and tug on different bits and so on. Make it clear that you're having a brilliant time and this toy is the greatest and most fun thing you've ever encountered. Leia was a bit unsure of one of the new toys on her playstand so I played with it myself for a few minutes, and she soon came over to investigate and join in. It clearly wasn't a parrot-eating monster if I was having so much fun!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with Eloy. You have a baby. Its still figuring you out. Trust is key.

Also, I'd start giving cardboard to a baby. Its soft and fun to shred. You can try ripping it (like a cereal box) your self to do how much fun it is ;)

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My two cents' worth: Any bird will not play without asserting themselves. It is good training to let them learn how to be on your shoulder. Manners begin by showing what you want, not what you don't want, imo.

It is true that members here have a wealth of expertise in pi's. Maxsmom and Aubrey are pure kindness. Terry, aka Dartman is the Pi Whisperer when it comes to tough cases. He'll fill you in. JT, who shared Eloy with us as long as he lasted, is an amazing bird trainer who shares freely. Check those videos out, I nearly fell over! Other members are no doubt equally good, and will weigh in. They are all are correct, he will not try to dominate on your shoulder. He is a baby and needs nurturing.

If you treat him with unconditional kindness, while showing him clearly what you want, you'll have a very agreeable little companion who will not fear you.

Overcontrolling is our first and maybe most serious mistake. Again, JT has some great videos of herself being trained by the famous Eloy, lol. Good luck, you are falling in love!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Some breeders who raise the baby bird may not have presented him with how to play or give opportunity to do so much or if at all. It does take time because he is in a new place so just introduce a few smaller meaning not too over powering in size to get him use to them being there. Soon he will start being interested.

Shoulders, is where they want to be and it is the highest point other than your head but also they feel more equal to you as well. It's up to you if you want him on your shoulder, perhaps at first let him get use to you for a while on your hand or arm and as long as not aggressive when ever that might be, then the shoulder area might be fine. I let my BH Blu sit on my shoulder but she has never bit me except a time or two when I scared her but her not knowing I was going to pick her up, other than that, she has never bitten me out of 9 years of age. I raised her from a baby. Gabby my Coral Bill ... I don't quite trust her totally to be on my shoulder so I usually never let her sit there and has to sit on my hand or arm areas.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
JT, who shared Eloy with us as long as he lasted, is an amazing bird trainer who shares freely. Check those videos out, I nearly fell over!
Again, JT has some great videos of herself being trained by the famous Eloy, lol.
What a nice thing to say! Thank you from all my heart! ♥♥♥

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Neither of my two pionus are playful birds. If you are used to active conures, caiques and cockatoos there is a huge difference. They are content to just perch and chew up stuff. While my tiels will fly all over the room my pi's may make a single flight around the room and go back to standing. That being said, they shred paper, yucca wood, balsa wood, cork, mineral chews, branches, etc. They will even chew on foot toys. They will not do much more than that. Will see if new baby I am getting tomorrow is any different but I wont hold my breath. Heehee

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Thanks Momazon, you can search for posts on my interactions with Lurch to see what I and he went through and Dobby was Momazon and her daughters gentle but mischievous naughty boy that she entrusted me with when her life took a turn and she couldn't keep him no fault of her own.
Lurch escaped due to a dumb mistake one day but he was happy and had grown to love me in his own grumpy way.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My two cents' worth: Any bird will not play without asserting themselves. It is good training to let them learn how to be on your shoulder. Manners begin by showing what you want, not what you don't want, imo.

It is true that members here have a wealth of expertise in pi's. Maxsmom and Aubrey are pure kindness. Terry, aka Dartman is the Pi Whisperer when it comes to tough cases. He'll fill you in. JT, who shared Eloy with us as long as he lasted, is an amazing bird trainer who shares freely. Check those videos out, I nearly fell over! Other members are no doubt equally good, and will weigh in. They are all are correct, he will not try to dominate on your shoulder. He is a baby and needs nurturing.

If you treat him with unconditional kindness, while showing him clearly what you want, you'll have a very agreeable little companion who will not fear you.

Overcontrolling is our first and maybe most serious mistake. Again, JT has some great videos of herself being trained by the famous Eloy, lol. Good luck, you are falling in love!
Well said!

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Stormy with toy.jpg Give him time, he is just settling in. Also try different toys. When Stormy came to live with me he was 8 yrs old and I was told he didnt seem to play with any toys. I put a toy made of thin colored balsa slats in (Giselle from Tweery Pies Bird Toys) and he demolished it in 3 days.

Last edited:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They love to chew and make noise with things so the wood chew toys and things that make noise are always hits.