• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My Pet Rats

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
Figured since I've made myself a comfortable spot in this community I'd introduce my other pets; my 3 fancy rats.
They're almost 1 and a 1/2 years old, and I've had them since the end of July last year, they're one of my biggest joys in life.

This is Alice, Nala, and Mulan.

They give me such a good laugh all the time. They're always doing something funny to cheer my day right up.
Any other rat fanatics? :)

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I love rats :heart: Unfortunately I've never got have one as a pet. One day I hope too. Funny thing is rats bought birds into life. I keep begging my mom for one but she couldn't past how creepy she thought their tails were. :confused: So as a compromise she got me a cockatiel for my 15 birthday :joyful: Little did she know that decision would bring two very loud cockatoos in her life later on :roflmao:

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
Oh wow, that's crazy!
Cockatiels are adorable. They're my favourite bird. They don't breed many of them in Scotland, unfortunately!
Your cockatoos must keep you on your toes, haha.
My mother hated rats before I got mine, but she's head over heels for them now.:lol: She even wanted to get some of her own for awhile, before life got busy again.
They really capture your heart. They're the only furry pet I've had that really seems to want to interact with you. They love cuddles and pets. :xflove:
And they're really intelligent, maybe not as intelligent as your toos, but they're like mini dogs, always eager to learn.
The only downside are their short lifespan. I wish they lived as long as birds!
Since you said you already loved them I'm not sure why I'm trying to sell them to you.
Oh, and don't take this the wrong way, but I just wanted to point out since you kept mentioning a single rat. They're social animals and need company of another rat. :)

Last edited:

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
They're adorable! I do love rats, such clever animals. It's a shame they don't live very long. It's the one thing that has always put me off keeping them. My closest friend always has a group of 4 and around 2 and a half years old they start to go. It sucks. They're so loving!

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
They're adorable! I do love rats, such clever animals. It's a shame they don't live very long. It's the one thing that has always put me off keeping them. My closest friend always has a group of 4 and around 2 and a half years old they start to go. It sucks. They're so loving!
It really is their downfall as a pet. You just have to remember you've given them a great life full of love and care. :)

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
Yeah exactly. I do think about it. I have a few snakes though and I wonder if they'd start being more food orientated with me if they could always smell rat on me :cautious:

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
They are adorable. I had hamsters but no rats.

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
Yeah exactly. I do think about it. I have a few snakes though and I wonder if they'd start being more food orientated with me if they could always smell rat on me :cautious:
Oh dear. :lol:I suppose that does conflict quite a bit.

I love the huge spread of different pets everyone has here. It's amazing.

They are adorable. I had hamsters but no rats.
I had a hamster when I was younger. Nibbles. He lived a lengthy 5 years... Or so I thought. I found out when I was 16! (About 8 years later), that my mother had replaced him with a similar hamster when he passed away at about 2 years old. :shifty:
I was shocked, and still to this day, I wonder if it hadn't slipped up whether I would have found out or not. :rofl:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to keep rats in a small group of three to six - it's so interesting to watch their social interactions. I mostly kept females because they're more active and their antics were so funny. They were always up to something and I used to give them enrichment activities for my own entertainment as well as theirs. Sadly they just don't live long enough and if you keep a small group (and they are happiest in a group) that's a lot of grief to handle.

Part of my reason for getting Leia was that I wanted a pet that would live longer than a couple of years! I really do think that the only thing stopping rats from being perfect pets is their short lifespan - otherwise you have a friendly, gentle, intelligent, social, playful friend in a small and easily handled body.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I keep both rats and snakes. It's not a problem. Pet ratties ARE the best!

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
I used to keep rats in a small group of three to six - it's so interesting to watch their social interactions. I mostly kept females because they're more active and their antics were so funny. They were always up to something and I used to give them enrichment activities for my own entertainment as well as theirs. Sadly they just don't live long enough and if you keep a small group (and they are happiest in a group) that's a lot of grief to handle.

Part of my reason for getting Leia was that I wanted a pet that would live longer than a couple of years! I really do think that the only thing stopping rats from being perfect pets is their short lifespan - otherwise you have a friendly, gentle, intelligent, social, playful friend in a small and easily handled body.
Couldn't agree more. If they lived longer I would say rats were my favourite/the best (IMO) pet ever, without a shade of doubt.
6 rats, gosh. I wish I had that many right now. I love mine! Can't imagine having 6 though.
I have my girls right now, but I'm going to have a group of boys in the future. Nala, (one of the brown ones), is so cuddly. And since the boys are said to be more cuddly than girls I can't wait to see what they're like. :heart:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Adorable! I've had rats in the past and they are such fantastic little pets. You are right about them being like mini dogs - that's always how I describe them to people! I wish more people realized how wonderful they really are. I miss my boys quite a bit, and would love to have more someday if it wasn't for their lifespan :(

These were my last boys IMG_1442.JPG

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
Adorable! I've had rats in the past and they are such fantastic little pets. You are right about them being like mini dogs - that's always how I describe them to people! I wish more people realized how wonderful they really are. I miss my boys quite a bit, and would love to have more someday if it wasn't for their lifespan :(

These were my last boys View attachment 256601
Awwwh! They're so cute. I always love seeing other people's rats.
What were their names?
The one on the top looks like a dumbo. They're too cute. :D

It's a shame people don't always realise how great they are, they've got quite the stigma about them. Hopefully one day people will figure out fancy rats are a long way away from wild AKA "sewer" rats. :(

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
They are so cute!!!! :xflove: Thank you so much for sharing those cute little faces! :)

It's so sad that there is such a stigma around rats. They seem like great pets, but I didn't realize that they had such a short life span!!! :( I never had a pet rat, but I did have pet hamsters as a kid, who I loved so, so much!

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
They are so cute!!!! :xflove: Thank you so much for sharing those cute little faces! :)

It's so sad that there is such a stigma around rats. They seem like great pets, but I didn't realize that they had such a short life span!!! :( I never had a pet rat, but I did have pet hamsters as a kid, who I loved so, so much!
Yeah, they have a really short lifespan, especially when you compare it to our feathered friends. If I recall correctly the oldest ever pet rat lived to 5.
Hamsters are adorable. Mine wasn't very friendly, but that's because I was young and didn't understand that they needed to be hand tamed. I've seen some people's who are absolutely lovely, and pretty funny too! :xflove::D

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Awwwh! They're so cute. I always love seeing other people's rats.
What were their names?
The one on the top looks like a dumbo. They're too cute. :D

It's a shame people don't always realise how great they are, they've got quite the stigma about them. Hopefully one day people will figure out fancy rats are a long way away from wild AKA "sewer" rats. :(
Their names were Simon and Sebastian, lol. I absolutely loved them! And yes Simon was a Dumbo - I have a soft spot for them!! I also think they make great pets for children (provided the child knows how to respect animals). When I have my own kids someday I can definitely picture us getting a few more rats. Just love em!

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
Definitely good for kids! They're just the sweetest little guys. I love how they almost never bite. (You know you've really annoyed them BAD if one bites you).

Dumbos are adorable. I really want a rex rat one day! I can dream :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
So cute!

I've had hamsters and guinea pigs before, but never rats.

Don't think wife is too keen on them, although she may be softening since we've had now had guineas and hammies recently...

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have my girls right now, but I'm going to have a group of boys in the future. Nala, (one of the brown ones), is so cuddly. And since the boys are said to be more cuddly than girls I can't wait to see what they're like. :heart:
One of my girls had been spayed (I always had them spayed at the same time as removing their first mammary tumours to reduce the risk of recurrence) and, as she was the last of mine, she ended up with a very handsome companion called Fergus. He'd been bought for children who lost interest in him and he was just stuck in a cage in the bathroom until he got handed into a rescue, and he was the sweetest little dude ever. He was actually more interested in people than food - I'd give him his dinner but he wanted to be fussed and played with rather than eat! He just really really wanted to hang out with people and cuddle and have his head scratched.

To be honest, it's important that you keep older male rats moving - they can get incredibly lazy and it's good for their health to not let them sit around cuddling all day! I used to scatter feed and make foraging toys to encourage mine to be active.