• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My parking lot pleasures

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I know if it costed you guys any money to view this pic, you'd probably want a refund. Lol.

I live in the city and don't see many uncommon species. So pigeons and seagulls make me happy. But throw a couple of geese in the mix and it's like a field trip to me.

20170509_140102.jpg

And yes...I fed them! I know you're not supposed to but that's like asking a kid in the candy store to finish his brussel sprouts.

The geese came right up to me! They all did but the geese were so slow moving and gentle! I love them! I wish I could live with some geese one day:xflove:

The simple pleasures in life. It made my day a little better

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The simple pleasures in life. It made my day a little better
You have very right about that! It is the small things that means the most in the end. :)
And it is also very important to enjoy all these kind of small things because they do make our days better.

Thanks for sharing! ♥

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Those are common around here too but I still love seeing them! We call them Canada Geese here but I'm not sure the rest of the world does. Maybe we just "tried" to claim them! ;) :lol:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I know them as Canada geese too.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I didn't realize they were called Canada geese. Lol. Thanks for that! Thanks for appeciating the pic too! :)

I saw some in Germany and the locals didn't seem to know them as Canada Geese so I wasn't sure if people in the US did or not. :)

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
The geese are very common here also and I enjoy watching them. And I live in a very busy city - they are protected here - just don't like when a group of them take forever to cross a busy street and hold up traffic.:)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That's nice that they are protected there. I'm not sure if they are protected here in Chicago but I do know alot of people hate them because their poops are big. Lol

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
They are protected to a certain extent under the migratory bird act though many of them don't migrate. I know that the park district I worked for had to get a permit to prevent them from multiplying. It's illegal to destroy a nest or eggs. With a permit, one is allowed to turn the eggs to prevent them from hatching. The park district also used a company with border collies which would chase adult geese of the golf courses (specifically).

And yes, their poops qualify more as small dog turds than the poops we know from our birds. I was always leery around Spring because the outdoor maintenance guys would aerate the lawns (which leaves small soil cores all over the lawn) and one could never be sure if what you saw was from aeration or geese.

Goose poop

Aeration soil cores

Funny story - goose related - last year one of the parks was under construction and the geese were making themselves comfortable since there weren't as many people around. The park district went cheap and put up fake coyotes to scare the geese off. End result - the Parks & Recreation Dept. got calls from residents about sightings of coyotes at the construction site and had to put up a notice on the park district web site and post signs @ the construction site telling people that the coyotes were fake.

I'm in the suburbs and we get alot of geese on the golf courses (green grass, water traps everywhere) and (obviously) around Lake Arlington. We're not supposed to feed the geese or the ducks but one does have to be careful with the geese as they can break an arm or a leg if they attack.

Though, truth be told, at Lake Arlington the most dangerous bird is actually the red winged blackbird which will dive bomb joggers and cyclists on the trails around the lake if they are deemed to be too close to their nests (which of course were set up on poles between :batonthehead: the lake and the trails). :think1: :whack:

Last edited:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
They are protected to a certain extent under the migratory bird act though many of them don't migrate. I know that the park district I worked for had to get a permit to prevent them from multiplying. It's illegal to destroy a nest or eggs. With a permit, one is allowed to turn the eggs to prevent them from hatching. The park district also used a company with border collies which would chase adult geese of the golf courses (specifically).

And yes, their poops qualify more as small dog turds than the poops we know from our birds. I was always leery around Spring because the outdoor maintenance guys would aerate the lawns (which leaves small soil cores all over the lawn) and one could never be sure if what you saw was from aeration or geese.

Goose poop

Aeration soil cores

Funny story - goose related - last year one of the parks was under construction and the geese were making themselves comfortable since there weren't as many people around. The park district went cheap and put up fake coyotes to scare the geese off. End result - the Parks & Recreation Dept. got calls from residents about sightings of coyotes at the construction site and had to put up a notice on the park district web site and post signs @ the construction site telling people that the coyotes were fake.

I'm in the suburbs and we get alot of geese on the golf courses (green grass, water traps everywhere) and (obviously) around Lake Arlington. We're not supposed to feed the geese or the ducks but one does have to be careful with the geese as they can break an arm or a leg if they attack.

Though, truth be told, at Lake Arlington the most dangerous bird is actually the red winged blackbird which will dive bomb joggers and cyclists on the trails around the lake if they are deemed to be too close to their nests (which of course were set up on poles between :batonthehead: the lake and the trails). :think1: :whack:

Oh yeah! Now I remember reading about the Border Collies a while back! I think they did that by the lakefront too.

Haha, I always thought those things in people's lawns WERE turds! I'm learning new things left and right! :rofl:

When the geese came real close to me I remembered seeing YouTube videos of people being attacked so I moved slowly and they did too. I bet if I ran, they'd chase me.:lol:

I found this older article about geese at Lake Arlington but I don't think the video works.

Arlington Heights goose on mend after attack - Chicago Tribune
The video worked for me on my phone. So sad that people/kids are capable of doing that to a poor animal. Glad the family stayed together and the male is better now.