• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My parakeet sneezes occasionally...will he be okay or is he sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
My parakeet sneezes occasionally...will he be okay or is he sick? I'm not even sure it's a sneeze but thats what it sounds like it. He does it 2 or 3 times a day it seems.

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
As long as there is no mucous, he is probably fine, but you need to find out the source if it is environmentally caused. One of our TLA fans found out that the scents she was using in her house was causing her budgie to sneeze. Maybe he's allergic to dust. Just take a look around your house and make sure your budgie isn't responding to an environmental factor. Also, if he takes baths and gets water up his nose, he might be sneezing that out as well.

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Birds sneeze occasionally to clear their airways from dust and water so that would be normal unless you see discharge or if they are breathing with their beaks open. How is his eating and drinking? Is he behaving normally otherwise or is he less active, fluffed up and shaking at all? :hug8:

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
He seems normal other than that. He eats ALOT. They always have fresh water, but I rarely see them drink. They're still scared of me lol

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
From what you are describing it sounds pretty normal. Watch if he starts sneezing a lot and if there is any discharge or labored breathing or if he stops being his normal active self and please keep us updated. :hug8:

What do your feed your little guy?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Do you know what the humidity is in your house?
Is it winter or summer where you are?:hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Do you know what the humidity is in your house?
Is it winter or summer where you are?:hug8:
Yes. If you are using forced heat to keep your house warm the heat sucks the moisture right out of the air. Hard on us as well as them.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
It's winter here, but I keep my house really warm. I don't have any smelly stuff in the house. I have radiator heat so no forced air.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
Also I feed them seeds and pellets. I'm trying to get them on pellets, but I just got them and they're being stubborn lol

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Take Your time converting them to new food,if they are real new-they need time to settle in!

Status
Not open for further replies.