• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My parakeet has gone blind- Sad Update Post #42

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that you are taking him to the vet. Please keep us updated.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am so glad!!! I would separate the other parakeet. Leave the ill bird in the cage he knows best since he cannot see. Please update us with the vet results. :)

M.K.

Sitting on the front steps
For anyone wondering how my bird is doing:
I took him to the vet. And I definitely don't regret it. This vet was a lot more helpful and experienced than any others I've been to.
The vet was concerned about my bird's slow heart rate and his beak clicking. She said the cause of his blindness could be lead poisoning or an infection.
She gave me antibiotics to administer twice daily, and I'm also adjusting his diet. It used to be half seeds, half fruits and vegetables. I'm going to be slowly switching to a pelleted diet with more red, green, and yellow vegetables. And I'm going to be tracking my birds' poops so I know if they are eating properly, because the vet warned me some birds will starve themselves if they don't get seeds.
Thank you for all your replies.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What medications did the vet give you? Was any testing done to determine if this was lead poisoning or what type of infection this might be?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Please thank and give your mom a hug. I understand about the cost and all. Hope the medicine works.
Sending prayers that your baby will get better soon.

Last edited:

M.K.

What medications did the vet give you? Was any testing done to determine if this was lead poisoning or what type of infection this might be?
Baytril Oral.
There wasn't any blood testing or X-rays done, so we don't know for sure what is wrong, but if the antibiotic doesn't work I will check up with the vet again and maybe think about testing.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that the Baytril helps. It's a general antibiotic. Blood work and culture with sensitivity is a good idea but really depends on the bird. Some birds too small or too easily stressed and that is not a good thing but vet would determine that. If vet thinks it's lead poisoning, though, the baytril will not help with that.
Sending positive thoughts your way.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Baytril Oral.
There wasn't any blood testing or X-rays done, so we don't know for sure what is wrong, but if the antibiotic doesn't work I will check up with the vet again and maybe think about testing.
If the vet is concerned about lead then x-rays absolutely need to be taken to see if there is metal in his body. It doesn't have to be perfect positioning, it can just be "bird in a box". If there is a chance it's lead poisoning your bird stands a good chance of death before that recheck. Although the fact that it's been over a week makes lead poisoning MUCH less likely. I'm concerned about just throwing baytril at him without any real evidence that there's an infection, and I would definitely ask about adding meloxicam in case there is inflammation going on.

I would avoid trying to change the diet before he's well, it can be very stressful on the bird and you want to make sure he's stable before trying to change his world up too much.

M.K.

If the vet is concerned about lead then x-rays absolutely need to be taken to see if there is metal in his body. It doesn't have to be perfect positioning, it can just be "bird in a box". If there is a chance it's lead poisoning your bird stands a good chance of death before that recheck. Although the fact that it's been over a week makes lead poisoning MUCH less likely. I'm concerned about just throwing baytril at him without any real evidence that there's an infection, and I would definitely ask about adding meloxicam in case there is inflammation going on.

I would avoid trying to change the diet before he's well, it can be very stressful on the bird and you want to make sure he's stable before trying to change his world up too much.
The vet was not very concerned about lead poisoning. She mentioned it as a possibility, but we couldn't find any potential causes of poisoning.
Thank you for your advice, I'll ask about meloxicam the next time I talk to her.
That is a good point about the diet change as well. The change isn't too drastic because he still receives the same amount of vegetables and fruit, just with pellets mixed in with his seeds, but I'll take that into account.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
The vet was not very concerned about lead poisoning. She mentioned it as a possibility, but we couldn't find any potential causes of poisoning.
Thank you for your advice, I'll ask about meloxicam the next time I talk to her.
That is a good point about the diet change as well. The change isn't too drastic because he still receives the same amount of vegetables and fruit, just with pellets mixed in with his seeds, but I'll take that into account.
You'd be VERY surprised in terms of potential exposure to lead/metal poisoning. In the past year I've seen three lead poisoning cases, none of the owners know how the bird got ahold of the metal, but a quick radiograph showed metallic foreign bodies. Usually the birds are very lethargic and neurologic, which doesn't seem to be the case with your budgie.

Was the possibility of a tumor discussed with you at all?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Agree! You change his diet when he is 100% well again, not now. So give him his seed back, he needs it.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I agree with @Eloy. Dont diminish his seeds while he is ill. You can add pellets, but don't diminish the seeds, until he is strong and healthy.

Crow lover

Most animal feed and supply stores sell terramycin eye ointment for a few dollars. It would be better to try something to help it. I have two bind birds someone gave me in 1998. They have lived a long happy life. I keep their cage the same way and never move things around and keep them by a bright window because they can still see the light and love the sun.

M.K.

You'd be VERY surprised in terms of potential exposure to lead/metal poisoning. In the past year I've seen three lead poisoning cases, none of the owners know how the bird got ahold of the metal, but a quick radiograph showed metallic foreign bodies. Usually the birds are very lethargic and neurologic, which doesn't seem to be the case with your budgie.

Was the possibility of a tumor discussed with you at all?
It was discussed. I asked if it could have been a tumor and the vet said that if it was, there's nothing I can do for him anyway.

M.K.

My bird has been getting the antibiotics twice a day for about a week or two now and he isn't getting any better. He's lost feathers under his beak. He has a gray patch on his back feathers. He just sits around all day.

Last edited:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
My bird has been getting the antibiotics twice a day for about a week or two now and he isn't getting any better. He's lost feathers under his beak. He has a gray patch on his back feathers. He just sits around all day.
How do you feel his quality of life is?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you feel he is less active than before? How is his eating and drinking?
The antibiotics can sometimes have side effects.

M.K.

Do you feel he is less active than before? How is his eating and drinking?
The antibiotics can sometimes have side effects.
He seems to be eating but he's less interested in his food if that makes sense, and yes I think he's less active.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Can you call the vet and let her know the bird is not getting better? Are you still providing seeds?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As per rockybird, give the vet a call. It's possible that they may need to change the antibiotic or maybe the vet will have other recommendations.