• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My parakeet has gone blind- Sad Update Post #42

M.K.

Sitting on the front steps
A few days ago my parakeet started acting strangely. When he flew around he would crash into walls, and he kept craning his neck. I didn't understand what had happened until I realized he had lost his vision. He doesn't react to any visual cues such as when I wave my hand around him. In other ways he seems normal- eating, preening, even playing with toys (he knows his cage well enough to find his perches and bowls), though he is definitely more subdued. At times he seems scared- sitting tensely, sometimes quivering slightly, or lifting his wings.
I want to take him to the vet but here is my problem. I'm a teenager and my mom is hesitant to take him to a vet.
A while ago I posted about how this same parakeet had foam and crust around his eye and had lost the feathers around it. It turns out that everything was fine and the infection went away after a few days. I went to the vet that time but it was expensive and the visit was not worth it because the issue had resolved itself. The other time I went to the vet was when one of my parakeets is now seriously ill. The visit was very costly and the vet told us that the bird was healthy and nothing was wrong, when he was clearly sick. The parakeet died a few days later. There were other times when we took other animals, small rodents, to the vet and they weren't able to help.
This is my problem. My parakeet is blind and I don't know why. It could be a sign of an underlying disease. But my mom can't afford a visit to the vet and in her experience going to the vet has never helped. Sorry this is so long, I just don't know what to do, and I feel terrible. Is there any medicine I could administer or anything I could do to help my budgie without going to the vet? Are there any cheaper options I can consider? Should I wait and see if his condition improves like it did the last time or try to get to a professional vet ASAP? What could have caused my bird to go blind? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so very sorry this has happened. Avian vets are expensive no doubt about it. Are you earning any money or can you do odd jobs at home or for friends? Your mom can apply for Care Credit. It's a plastic card that is used for vets and dentist expenses. That way the balance can be paid off in time with no interest. Make sure the vet is avian certified so you won't have any more bad experiences.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
I am sorry about your experience with vets, dear, but if you really feel your bird has gone blind it needs to be seen by an Avian Vet. The infection that 'resolved itself' appears to have actually not done so if the bird is now blind. When one takes animals in there are responsibilities that are assumed. Financial responsibilities are on the list. I really sorry I am not helping. I can remember being young and in the same situation; my mother would not take our animals to the vet because she could not afford it. It makes you feel helpless
I am glad that your bird is still eating and playing and is able to find things in his cage. Please do what you can to make him comfortable and make his items easy for him to get to. :sadhug2:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Is there any place you can take him to that might take him to a vet? I.e. Can you surrender him to a rescue? This poor little one sounds like he is suffering terribly. What state are you in?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good idea Rocky. I one had to surrender a kitten to a rescue that needed major surgery. They paid for the surgery and kitty recovered.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The best thing you can do is take your bird to the vet or, as rockybird suggested, find a rescue that will get him the care he needs.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What are your thoughts so far @M.K. ?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Because of their very small size, a vet is limited in what he can do and the tests he can perform. If it requires any kind of invasive procedure then the Dr needs to be an exceptional surgeon and very skilled specifically with birds. They won't be able to do much for your bird to "fix" this problem now. I'm sorry about that.

This boils down to quality of life. If there is no quality left then it's time for you to do something about it.

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
I would honestly see how it rides out. Keep him as comfortable as you can with as much love and yummy warm food you can give him. Do you have a syringe? Very important they stay hydrated. Try not to move fast around him and start talking softly when you enter the room, this will help him not have anxiety. I have seen some disabled budgies cages re-done to make it easier for them. You should have food and water easily accessible, perhaps on the ground. Don't move many things around for now, that will cause stress.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@BeeBop I disagree. The animal is suffering. It is inhumane to leave it in this condition. It likely has a severe infection that may be spreading to the brain. It needs immediate medical treatment or to be humanely euthanized.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@JLcribber I disagree. It is worth seeing a vet. Antibiotics may be helpful. It is worth a try.
Of course it's helpful to see a vet. Doesn't sound like that's going to happen?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whatever is causing the problems with the budgie he/she needs to be seen by a vet. Could be a temporary issue but is it worth waiting it out. I don't think so. The problem could be treatable and so best to take to vet and get a diagnosis. Blind birds can adapt and survive but it would be a very good idea to find out what is causing the blindness.

M.K.

Sitting on the front steps
Thank you all for your responses. I am going to take my budgie to the vet and will keep you updated about what happens. In the meantime, how can I keep him comfortable? He has been able to find his food bowl but I haven't seen him drink yet. I don't have a syringe by the way. Also, should I separate him from my other parakeet?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Since you wrote this bird knows his cage well I would keep him in the same cage and perhaps move the other bird. There are instructions on this forum for making a hospital cage but if he is comfortable in the current one I would keep him there. Warmth is important.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so glad you are taking him to the vets! As mentioned, make sure it is an avian vet, and please keep us updated on his progress.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Kerp his cage warm. And make sure there is food and water next to all his perches. It is very sad. It does sound like this is sequel to the infection you mentioned earlier. I am very glad you are taking him to a vet. As previously mentioned ensure thus is an avian vet. I am thinking of him.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If there is something that's causing swelling in/near the optic nerve heat is NOT a good idea. If he's acting normally aside from the loss of vision just keep things as they are until your appointment. You can also call your vet ahead of time and see what they recommend (i.e. supplemental heat) to keep him comfy before the appointment.