• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My other half ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taz93

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Birds arn't my only passion :hehe:, Reptiles are my main addiction closely followed by parrots/cockatoo's. I only have one python at the moment though but my collection will grow in time :)

This is Cleo, my 15 month old Blonde spotted python, she has the best nature, so docile and placid :)

DSCF2054.jpg

DSCF2658.jpg

DSCF2587.jpg

Enjoy!!! :D

carolyn17603

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
carolyn
I have to admit I never liked snakes until I met my ex boyfriend and he had some. We were drinking one night and I got brave and held them even ended up getting bit by a ball python but hey I was drunk lol it didnt matter to me. But he went away for a month and a half so I was the one who had to care for them thankfully I was able to talk to him on the phone about how to care for them such as humidity and such. My favorite he had was a lavender king named elvira. I liked her so much because she was so pretty you know that pinkish purple color. Eventually he rehomed them to a friend so he could still see them since the apt he was moving in wouldnt allow snakes and someone broke in and stole elvira. But I got over my reptile phase birds are my thing now

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
Im not really up to date with ball pythons and their mutations, theres just way to many morphs to keep track of lol but she does sound amazing and its nice to see more and more people getting involved with them and not just seeing them as nasty critters that are out to get them :lol:

Reptiles and birds are pretty much my pride and joy, this phase will never end :D

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
yea if you wanna see what elvira looked like just google lavender california king snake. They are so pretty. Sorry I dont have any pics of her. King snakes are really cool I dont know if you have them in Austrailia but the reason why they call them King snakes is because they can be bit by any poisionious snake and the venom will not kill them. I think thats amazing.

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
Will do. We dont have any king snakes here but we do have alot of reptiles to drool over lol. Ive actually seen a doco that had king snakes in it, i think its heaps cool how they are immune to venom but the downside is their main diet is other snakes. Ohwell when ya gotta eat, ya gotta eat :)

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
Im not sure about that I know we fed them mice. But look it up and let me know what you think they are so pretty.

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
LOVE her :) I am one of the others that think birds & herps are great :) I think pythons are beautiful but much too big for a pet for me :) I would rather a small snake that can't strangle me! :lol:

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
Im not sure about that I know we fed them mice. But look it up and let me know what you think they are so pretty.
Yeah they eat rodents in the wild aswell but ive just heard that they like to eat other snakes etc lol They are very pretty indeed, i wish i could keep exotic species but unfortunatly its illegal here.

LOVE her :) I am one of the others that think birds & herps are great :) I think pythons are beautiful but much too big for a pet for me :) I would rather a small snake that can't strangle me! :lol:
Thanks, not all pythons grow big, Cleo will only get 4-5 feet in length and wont be that thick at all. This species and all the others in the Antaresia genus are fairly small snakes. Perfect size for those who want small pythons. :)

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
What a beauty! I LOVE snakes. But I'm afraid to get another until I'm living in a larger place. I'm afraid that a snake would be able to smell my birds and always be in HUNTING MODE! I used to have an emerald tree boa, and they eat birds in the wild. I saw a photo of a carpet python eating a galah once, too...! :eek:

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
did you look up the lavendar california king snake?
Sure did, they are amazing. :D

What a beauty! I LOVE snakes. But I'm afraid to get another until I'm living in a larger place. I'm afraid that a snake would be able to smell my birds and always be in HUNTING MODE! I used to have an emerald tree boa, and they eat birds in the wild. I saw a photo of a carpet python eating a galah once, too...! :eek:
As long as their in two seperate rooms they should be fine, well unless the snake escapes and makes its way into the bird room (then u'll find a very happy snake at the bottom of the bird cage :eek:). I have heard of that happening plenty of times.
But as long as u keep their enclosure secure u will have nothing to worry about, no matter how big the reptile may be.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
I told you the lavendar was pretty thats why she was my favorite out of all the snakes my ex had. There pretty cheap to I think around $100 at a pet store

illuminati

Walking the driveway
nice!!!...I love snakes!! I used to have a red tail boa....

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
Red tail boa's are one of my dream snakes followed by retics and the albino burmese python :D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Not a personal fan of pythons, considering our everglades is having an epidemic of them that is so huge, they don't even know how many there are. They have killed nearly every small animal there.People keep them until they are too big to handle, then just turn them loose. Then there was the idiot that had the albino in an open aquarium with a comforter on top. It got out{duh:huh:} and killed his 2 year old.:( I appreciate them, from a distance, if properly kept and handled. I don't like seeing them kept in racks. Yours is very pretty.

Last edited:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Not a personal fan of pythons, considering our everglades is having an epidemic of them that is so huge, they don't even know how many there are. They have killed nearly every small animal there.People keep them until they are too big to handle, then just turn them loose. Then there was the idiot that had the albino in an open aquarium with a comforter on top. It got out{duh:huh:} and killed his 2 year old.:( I appreciate them, from a distance, if properly kept and handled. I don't like seeing them kept in racks. Yours is very pretty.
Thankfully Australia is very strict with exotics and theyre all totally illegal. We don't have any native snakes as big as the Burmese, our largest would be the Scrub Python and the Olive Python, but they're nothing like Burmese pythons.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
They say there is a new one{forget the name} that has been spotted there in the south, that is even bigger than the Burmese. The sad part is they are breeding so well in our climate and conditions, that they are eradicating native fauna. They just recently had an open hunt for them, but the amount that were caught was negligible. They must be pretty elusive....then of course it is not easy traversing the everglades. They did charge the couple in the case I mentioned above with third degree murder. And I stand corrected, the girl was the woman's child, the man in the case was her boyfriend. Very sad.

Last edited:

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
Yeah i do understand how bad the situation is over there and i feel for those who are trying to control it, that is one of the main reasons exotics are not allowed here in Australia. Its really sad when people just dump their animals into the wild because they "cant" look after them anymore, they dont take into consideration that certain pythons can grow quite large and will become potentionlly dangerous (they dont stay small and cute forever).
I also agree with u, i dont like seeing them in racks (breeders fair enough, some actually have large enclosures). I like to see enclosures that give the animal more then enough space to move around.

Oh and thanks :)

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
They say there is a new one{forget the name} that has been spotted there in the south, that is even bigger than the Burmese. The sad part is they are breeding so well in our climate and conditions, that they are eradicating native fauna. They just recently had an open hunt for them, but the amount that were caught was negligible. They must be pretty elusive....then of course it is not easy traversing the everglades.
Do u think that during the winter it would kill off a large number of them considering how cold it can get there?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It never gets cold here..lol. Not cold enough to kill snakes. Certainly not that far south. I am in central FL. Luckily I only have seen black snakes in my yard. I think they are cool.:) My exterminator told me that the presence of so many black snakes in my yard is a good sign that I don't have venomous snakes.When I used to live in the country here we saw all kinds of snakes. Sidewinders,huge rattlers, corals. We have some pretty dangerous venomous snakes in Fl, like the pygmy, diamondback,water moccasin, and coral snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.