• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My one and only experience with an ekkie (sorta my first bird but not really)

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Three years ago, I joined a college program, zookeeping. In it, I skipped 1-2 classes every day (I got high school credit, and twice as much as I would have if I stayed at highschool) and took a class on zookeeping instead. 2 days a week, that class was at the zoo. We worked in the outreach area, where guests get to interact with the animals there and help care for them. I cleaned cages, prepared diets and made toys for a variety of animals, from tarantulas to an owl, all while involving guests as much as possible. At the time, I never had a bird.
Mister was a male eclectus, the only parrot there. He had an entire roof to play on (toys and perches all around the rafters on the 100 'x30' building) and slept in a closet. The cage was small (when I got my first bird, a cockatiel, I accidentally bought the exact same cage for her) but he rarely was in there.
Mr was a recovering plucker. He is about 25 years old. I liked him, but He did not like me. He didn't like much of anyone really. Only one guy in the whole zoo could hold him. He screamed at me when I changed out his toys (once a day) and dropped food cups on my head. I once asked if he could be my "defining moment" (a reward for showing proficiency in the ccomplete care of a group of animals, we get to interact with an animal of our choice) and was told no, that I would be bitten. I would've been happy having someone show me a few tricks of his! Something about that "mean" bird who screamed at me and dropped cups on my head seemed very appealing to me. So, for two years, (year two I gor my first cockatiel) i said "hey mister" Every time I saw him (halfway through year two, he started repeating it back to any staff who said it to him), and talked to him frequently. I made his Food, cleaned his bowls, and changed his toys. He is still my favorite animal in the zoo.
And now I have a cockatoo!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
WoW that sounds like an amazing zoo! May I ask which one that was? I am happy you met Mister:heart: If you had not, you might not have had Dexter and might not be on AA!:hug8:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Great experience! :D

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww! What an inspirational story! Your perseverance was rewarded!