• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My old lady

Luna3391

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
The 15 year old drama queen, who's afraid of the parrots squawks!

This is Ruby. We adopted her when she was 7. She was let go and given to us under the understanding that we had to have a privacy fence (she climbs chain link like a pro!) and that she HAD to be an only dog. Her last owner had to keep her in a separate room 24/7, by herself because she was dog aggressive.

She is now an old lady. Slow, nearly blind and lazy, but as loving as ever. I like to think that we've given her a much better lot in life.

Attachments

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Rudy is a doll. Is she still dog aggressive in her old age?

Luna3391

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
Rudy is a doll. Is she still dog aggressive in her old age?

Yup. She's ok if the neighbors dogs are in their own yards or such, but if another dog comes up to her or even close to her space, she becomes anxious first, then aggressive.

When she goes to the vet or on a walk she is kept very close to us and we let other dog owners know that even though her ears are perked and their dog is excited to see her, she WILL lash out the second she becomes uncomfortable. (It's unbelievable how many people WONT listen to us, and will ask "but she looks so happy, are you sure?")

We avoid those situations at all costs. She's loving and has never once been aggressive to a human (unless they are a vet that's poking her with needles!), and a negative encounter with another dog just on the off chance she might accept them is not worth the risk. It's a bummer we can't have more than one dog, but I would never give her up for anything.

(There is ONE dog that she did accept. His name was Maui, and he was her mate at her previous household. (Her previous owner was a shiba breeder. It still makes me sad to know that Ruby was locked away 24/7. She was still extremely bossy with him, and could not be left unattended. He's was adopted by a friend of mine who's since moved to the other side of the country.)

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Bless you and your family for being her forever home. It must be very stressful for Ruby to have that stress when she see's another dog.

Rolanda

Shibas are beautiful dogs!