• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Odd LemonLime

TheOddOnes

Moving in
So, I've had my first ever parakeet, LemonLime, for about a year and a half. He has been the only parakeet, but would have bird play dates and play with his younger cat sister, Gin. Well, I recently got him a new friend, about a week ago. The new parakeet is named Aurora Borealis, an is too young to tell the gender. They are attached to the hip, which is good. They groom one another, but LemonLime has begun to do this thing that when they are groom or even randomly, he will put his foot on Aurora. Aurora doesn't like it an will either move away or make a noise at him. LemonLime will stop for a second and go back to doing it, he usually stops after the third time or if you call his name. But other than this, they are really friendly with each other. What does it mean when he puts his foot on Aurora? I've looked all over and can't find anything. Thanks for any help.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It sounds like they are male and female, right? These are signs of bonding. A male will sometimes do that with his foot to let her know "You are mine". If they are male and female you will need to start planning what you will do when they want to mate and have a family. Post photos when they are more mature and we can help you out with the gender if you need that. I am glad you got a second budgies. Budgies are so much happier that way.

TheOddOnes

Moving in
Thank you! I kind of figured that it was something like that but wasn't sure. LemonLime is male, but we aren't too sure about Aurora yet. Aurora's nose right now is like a pinkish blue but the top is still white, so I'm thinking maybe another male.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Your budgies are so pretty. What does it mean when you talk of play dates with the 'younger cat sister'? You don't mean a real cat, right?
I have seen Fergus place his foot on Fiona when she first came to us. I'm not sure he would dare try that at this point... she pretty much rules the roost around here! Welcome to the forum! :greet13:

TheOddOnes

Moving in
Yes, a real cat. The cat was rescued at a very young age, so she is really use to the first one. She is really calm with them. But what I mean by play dates is that he will fly on the cat when she is sleeping and try to groom her and stuff. He will fly to random areas, she will follow and just try to stay by him.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
You might think differently, but most here will tell you that is playing with fire, allowing your bird to be in the same space as your cat. :(

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cats are prey and they don't play. Cats carry alot of bad bacteria in their mouth. Personally, I would put the cat in a room when the birds are out, all it takes is a second