• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My not tame African Ringneck, strange behaviour.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Attached is a pic of a lime green. It's a pale yellow with light green over. This photo doesn't show the green accents very well, but it's a screen shot of a screen shot. The light green accents cover the bird but are most easily seen on his neck and wings. View attachment 282976
I’m not disputing existence. Lol. Simply highlighting the vast number of mutations and that I am unfamiliar with many of them. I have seen the one you posted (or something similar) but it wasn’t called lime green. Quite pretty. I’ll have to look again and see how they terming it so that I will know that this color is lime also.

I also know that from country to country different terms are used for the same colors. I looked for an IRN for well over a year and saw so many colors it made my head spin. I was like a kid in a candy store as some of them are stunning. But still, I really just wanted a normal green. Lol. It took me back to my days of trying to keep all the lovebird mutations in my head (them: that’s a dominant edged sea green single factor olive double dark factor violet..... me: it’s turquoise with a white face lol) :faint:

In Australia I’ve seen cinnamon Green referred to as lime. And often the visual color has no relevance to the term for the mutations. I had a breeder recently send me a pic of a cinnamon turquoise violet. It’s muddy yellow with a blue tail. Thank heavens Pavi is just blue! Lolol That I can keep straight. THIS is why all of my birds except Pavi are wild color. I can remember normal green. :wacky:

On the Africans I was under the impression they just come in normal green or wild color and that there were no mutations yet in that species. When you said grass green I thought it was a new color and wanted to see it.

That lime coloring I saw on a chart but never one for sale. Lots of lacewing and violet and cobalt and gray and ino mutations. Quite a number of people have visual blues but they are triple split to this or that. Finding normal green males as babies is very rare near me and to me, that’s a shame.

Reactions: LSA

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I knew it was interest. As far as I'm aware, African Ringnecks only come in one shade of green. What I'm calling green dominant is grass green???:huh:

To get the lime green, I THINK breeders combine blue double split with a yellow factor to get a lime green, but I'm obviously no breeder! :dead: I always thought a green cinnamon was closer to a grey lutino or a violet grey. Like I said, I'm no breeder!:eek:

I totally understand about the craziness of it all and am also glad my Glenn is just blue. HAHA It's so complicated! Actually, Glenn could live here no matter the color. My goal is to just have him live out his life happily. Ask me about chemistry, animal anatomy or dairy and you'll get a definite answer. Ask me about bird breeding and I'll prove my ignorance! :wacky:

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
I feel ya. I also saw something called a pallid something or other that looked like the lime bird. I’m really good with human genetics as that was my area of research. I’m good with equine color genetics where the colors make sense. Lol. You may a blue roan or a strawberry roan and it may occur in a certain color pattern but you’ll never have a double dark factor roan split to palomino overo. (That would be a messed up looking horse. Lol). I’ll stick to “what a pretty blue bird!” ;)

Reactions: LSA

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
HAHA I come from ranchers, too, where large domestic animal genetics made perfect sense! Just yesterday I was explaining plant genetics to a friend where there's a huge difference between second fruiting and second generation. With birds, not so much.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
On plants I would have to defer to you. Lol