• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My not tame African Ringneck, strange behaviour.

Christian V

Moving in
Hello!

I’ve had a Blue African Ringneck for two years now. She is not tame because sadly she was abused by her previous owner so she doesn’t trust people, especially hands. Ever since we got her she has been making a very strange noise/stance, what she does is, she lifts her head slitghty, puffs up, then makes a strange noise and decrease her pupils size. She does this a lot when she is close to me or any other family member, she likes in my room and has basically trashed it, I can give her food by hand but she doesn’t want to eat from my hand but she can happily take it and fly away with it and then eat.

What I really need answered is:
Does anyone know about that strange noise she does & does anyone know how I can get her to really trust me. I’ve almost tried everything and nothing works, I’ve done some progress with clicker training but she still doesn’t trust me.

Christian V

Moving in
All of our birds are rescues and all of them came around very quickly with the above mentioned methods.
Do you know what stance/noise she is doing as described above

Head slightly up
Pupils decrease
Makes a strange noise
Bends forward a little
Puffs up

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could be shes hormonal..

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Do you know what stance/noise she is doing as described above

Head slightly up
Pupils decrease
Makes a strange noise
Bends forward a little
Puffs up

Every bird will be different and of all the birds we have rescued nonehave been Grey's, IRN or SIE! So I am not sure if they do something unique. When it's done is she aggressive? Or does she seem to be fine?
My Macaws fluff up and eyes pin when they like to be scritched.

Christian V

Moving in
Every bird will be different and of all the birds we have rescued nonehave been Grey's, IRN or SIE! So I am not sure if they do something unique. When it's done is she aggressive? Or does she seem to be fine?
My Macaws fluff up and eyes pin when they like to be scritched.
She doesn’t seem to be aggresive after doing it, if I try to repeat her sound to her she growls instantly and stops.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It’s a ringneck thing, I’ve seen my neighbor’s bird do it. Hopefully a ringneck owner will come and enlighten you.

kiwi2017

Sitting on the front steps
I have an Indian Ringneck, the pinning of the pupils and kind of odd behavior with wings and body is just their thing. Often the pinning of pupils can be a warning they'e unhappy, about to bite etc but mine does it even when he's playing with his toys or trying to talk.
Also, ringnecks by nature are not big on being touched. I have a hand raised baby I've had since he was 10 weeks so we're very bonded but he still isn't fussy about being touched (like stroked or scritched). He loves to step up, be on me and I can cuddle him with my face but he's not big on hands and from talking to other Ringneck owners and breeders it's a Ringneck thing.

Christian V

Moving in
I have an Indian Ringneck, the pinning of the pupils and kind of odd behavior with wings and body is just their thing. Often the pinning of pupils can be a warning they'e unhappy, about to bite etc but mine does it even when he's playing with his toys or trying to talk.
Also, ringnecks by nature are not big on being touched. I have a hand raised baby I've had since he was 10 weeks so we're very bonded but he still isn't fussy about being touched (like stroked or scritched). He loves to step up, be on me and I can cuddle him with my face but he's not big on hands and from talking to other Ringneck owners and breeders it's a Ringneck thing.
Sorry to disturb, noticed you have pixel art of what I can assume is your two birds. I checked the image name and it says :irngf:, I wonder how I can get my own pixel art of my IRN Blue Female and my Orange Caique.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Hello!

I’ve had a Blue African Ringneck for two years now. She is not tame because sadly she was abused by her previous owner so she doesn’t trust people, especially hands. Ever since we got her she has been making a very strange noise/stance, what she does is, she lifts her head slitghty, puffs up, then makes a strange noise and decrease her pupils size. She does this a lot when she is close to me or any other family member, she likes in my room and has basically trashed it, I can give her food by hand but she doesn’t want to eat from my hand but she can happily take it and fly away with it and then eat.

Does anyone know about that strange noise she does & does anyone know how I can get her to really trust me. I’ve almost tried everything and nothing works, I’ve done some progress with clicker training but she still doesn’t trust me.
Hi your birds are lovely. I have both African and Indian Ringnecks. Your blue bird is an Indian Ringneck, notice the beak color and it is very uncommon for "African" Ringnecks to have color mutation unless they have been cross bred with Indian Ringnecks. Notice the beak color it is an orangish red, where African ringnecks have a maroon beak and it is smaller see attached pics.
In any case, I agree with what was said above, a lot of ringnecks are not find of being touched. I am happy to just hand out with my gang, they occaisionally land on me but that is because they know I am not gonna reach for them. Try the method mentioned above if you are intent on handling and petting.
I think based on what you have said about her body language and noise probably a "hiss" that she is giving you a warning that you are invading what she considers her space. Them wanting to interact with you really has to be their choice or you risk a bite and Ringneck bites can really hurt.
beak2.jpg
This is an African ringneck beak. Most all African ringnecks are green.

This is an Indian Ringneck beak. irn beak.jpg

See the difference in color and proportion.
None of my birds have been abused yet they are not crazy about hands or being touched. I wish you luck she is a beauty.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
My IRN is a beautiful rescue that suffered abuse and neglect by an owner that didn't know what she was getting into. He hates to be looked at or gotten near. He especially doesn't like me getting near him. I have to keep other birds away from him despite their size.

I know the eyes you speak of well. Females are generally more aggressive than males. I wish the ring was a true clue to gender. What you describe is hormonal behavior. Has she seen an AV recently?

Based on your pics, a large, orange beak is usually on a INDIAN Ringneck Parakeet. I have seen lime green and pale yellow Indian mutations, but these are rare as most IRNs are light blue. AFRICAN Ringneck Parakeets tend to be a brighter green with a small, dark beak. How did you decide this was an African Ringneck?

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I have seen lime green and pale yellow Indian mutations, but these are rare as most IRNs are light blue. AFRICAN Ringneck Parakeets tend to be a brighter green with a small, dark beak. How did you decide this was an African Ringneck?
Green is not a mutation in IRN, green is the dominant wild color. Blue is a mutation and there are many mutations that fall into the blue color hues. These guys come in so many mutations now that I have lost count. Lol.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I’ve had a Blue African Ringneck for two years now. She is not tame because sadly she was abused by her previous owner so she doesn’t trust people, especially hands. Ever since we got her she has been making a very strange noise/stance, what she does is, she lifts her head slighty, puffs up, then makes a strange noise and decrease her pupils size. She does this a lot when she is close to me or any other family member, she likes in my room and has basically trashed it, I can give her food by hand but she doesn’t want to eat from my hand but she can happily take it and fly away with it and then eat.

The behavior you're describing is not unusual for rescued Ringnecks. Although he's only LIVED here for 7 months, I've known him for a few years. She's actually showing predictable and common abused Ringneck behavior. The headlift says she's experiencing stress; her noise is made as an initial warning to you; the eyes are a threat. All of these are her way of telling you to stay back. :bignono: The puffiness I don't know.:naughty:

That she's willing to take any offered food from your hand is excellent. You have made leaps in the trust direction!!! :wave:

Clicker training works beautifully with some birds. Until she is willing to remain near your hand, it won't work well with her. Until that time, get some hardwood toys for her to attempt to destroy. It sounds like the two of you are slowly building a trust bond. With Ringnecks, trust is slow but strong. :kiss2: Let patience be your friend. I hope this helps some.

FYI, the beak is the key. An African Ringneck is generally grass green with a smaller brown to maroon beak. An Indian Ringneck is usually light blue but has been mutated into several colors. Indian Ringnecks have larger orange to red beaks. Although it's generally accepted that males have a more pronounced ring, some mutations have no ring at all.

Green is not a mutation in IRN, green is the dominant wild col
Lime green is a mutation in INDIAN Ringnecks. AFRICAN Ringnecks are grass green dominant.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Lime green is a mutation in INDIAN Ringnecks. AFRICAN Ringnecks are grass green dominant.
I have never encountered a mutation known as lime green. Often the original wild color in the INDIANS is referred to as lime green. I’ve seen the yellow-green mutations but never heard of a lime green mutation. I’ve seen some dilutes that are brighter but I can’t seem to find a picture of that lime green mutation if you have one I’d love to see it.

I’m also not aware of AFRICAN ringnecks coming in any color other than wild color green. Which is as you state a darker green. I also never thought I’d see a blue Ekkie, until I saw one. Again, they are mutating colors in the IRN’s so fast I can’t keep up. Some of them are beautiful, some of them I just wonder why?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I have never encountered a mutation known as lime green.
Since lime green and pale yellow IRN mutations don't exist, you better tell them to change their colors! LOL Like budgies, you can pick just about any color!

I honestly don't know if we're calling the same color "dark" green and "grass" green, but as I said, it's in the beaks! There are two points: smaller size + brown/maroon color = African; larger size + orange/red color = Indian.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Attached is a pic of a lime green. It's a pale yellow with light green over. This photo doesn't show the green accents very well, but it's a screen shot of a screen shot. The light green accents cover the bird but are most easily seen on his neck and wings. Screenshot_20180803-002118.png