• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new too

Sulfermom

Moving in
Real Name
Carmen
I'm new to the thread and new to having my very own too...he's a sulfer crested he is 18 years old .....I've had him for about 2 weeks and I'm in love!!!! The only thing that worries me is he does not play with toys,does not get excited about anything ,nevery really talks or makes any noise at that .....I'm really concerned because at work we have a umbrella cockatoo and he's the most destructive bird I've ever seen in my life he's very vocal and playful....anyway to make a long story short I just wanted to say hi from me and maggie

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Congratulations :D

Hmmm... the nonplaying thing is a little odd. Could be he's still settling in... Try and get a wide variety of toy and see what he likes. Have you schedule a vet appointment? Or have taken him to a vet? A lot of people do that when they first get a bird. I think it's a good idea to get a wellness exam. :)

Sulfermom

Moving in
Real Name
Carmen
Congratulations :D

Hmmm... the nonplaying thing is a little odd. Could be he's still settling in... Try and get a wide variety of toy and see what he likes. Have you schedule a vet appointment? Or have taken him to a vet? A lot of people do that when they first get a bird. I think it's a good idea to get a wellness exam. :)

I have not done the vet thing yet the closest one to us is over 3 hrs away and i don't know if I'm comfortable having him in a crate for that long...I'm going to make some phone calls and see if there is anywhere closer.....

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congratulations with your new cockatoo! What is his/her name?
And welcome to the forum of course!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and congratulations! Have you tried different types of toys such as wood, foraging toys, preening toys, metal toys, etc.? Different birds all have their own preferences.

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Congrats on your new friend....he may still be settling in...and as you probably know cockies all have different play styles...my corella Dusty loves noise making things...her all time favourite toy is her bell....yet she isn't destructive with toys or wooden block toys designed to be chewed to death. Give him time, and offer noise making toys, wooden chew toys, forage toys, hanging toys to wack and foot toys. Eventually he will warm up to something and show you what he likes

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
:welcome2:

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Ha ha...yeah I thought Dusty was a boy for 2 years till she laid an egg....but I had chosen a unisex name...so it was no problem....Maggie is a lovely name

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! Your too may just be settling in still and needs more time to be comfortable.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Hi Carmen! :welcome2: to the avenue. Congrats for taking Maggie into your home. At eighteen she/he probably has alot of different memories. She has alot of history. As others have said, let her/him settle in. Give it about 2 months and she/he will start to show true colors. They process new homes in silence and are very still while observing. Hope she/he brings you as much joy as my Elvis as brought to me...:)
P.S. definitely please do get Maggie vetted so that you have a clean bill of health.. that brings ya peace of mind...;)

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I have a sulphur crested as well. She's an eleanora, 27 years old. While I haven't had her sexed, I'm sure she's a female by her eye color - in a strong light, they're brown in females, black in males. Her sexual behavior also pegs her for a female, but you may not see any of that for a while. Good luck with yours - mine has been a much loved family member all her life. Try singing and dancing a bit - cockatoos are very appreciative of music!! They're great dancers!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting your 'too. Post some photos when you get a chance.