• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new rescue finch

SkyeWolfe

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Skye wolfe
I had posted about him yesterday due to the bald patches. I finally picked him up last night and it turns out he is a society finch not a zebra. Also the feather loss is worse than I thought. It seems the previous owner didn't care about them at all. 5 finches (1 society and 4 zebra) all in one cage the size of a rabbit cage. And the poor society finch was being picked on horribly. He was also feeding low grade wild bird seed instead of actual food for finches. I'm glad my friend rescued them and thought to have me take the bullied one (whom I've named Hanten which is japanese for splotches because of the splotch pattern most society finches have)

Does any one have suggestions to help speed his recovery (at least I assume its a male from the sound of his chirp). I tried to give him a boiled egg and cooked carrots but he turned his beak up at them. He's at least eating the finch food I gave him (the wild bird seed he was throwing it around the cage more than he was eating it).

Attachments

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor little guy! Thank you for helping him.. maybe he would eat the Zupreem tiny pellets?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a lucky little fellow to have landed in your flock! I love his new name. Hopefully those bald patches will be a thing of the past soon. He's a little doll. :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's so cute. Thanks for helping him.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Try Roudybush nibles. They will probably send you a free sample.

Keep trying fresh foods. Chop it or use the food processor - teeny bits. I have yet to see a bird turn their beak up at sweet potato. It might take awhile but the nutrition will help.

I keep tiny dishes from Pier 1 in their cages. One dish for pellets, one for seed,and one holds fresh foods. They might run out of seed, then they have to move to the next dish. ;)

You can also try a good multivitamin in the water, I’m currently using Avitech but have also used Avivitagold and liked it. You can also add Featheriffic or feather fast to help grow in new feathers..

Once you get it started eating fresh food, sprouts have the best nutrition. Search the forum for info.

Your bird is lucky to have you!

SkyeWolfe

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Skye wolfe
Thank you everyone for your advice! I'm currently googling everything that was mentioned to see where I can get it lol. He seems to be settling in alright, I have his cage next to my parakeets so they talk back and forth to each other (though there's probably a language barrier and my parakeet, Akatsuki, sounds like he's just yelling at the poor dear!) Thankfully he's still eating the actual food, I'm going to try some scrambled eggs in the morning. Be a good way to get me to eat breakfast too!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking the cute little finch into your home.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Thank you for taking him in!! I hope he starts feeling better.

Though just a side note: I think he may really be a zebra finch based on the black teardrop and the bright orange beak.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
It is not a society finch, and it isn't a male! It is a female zebra finch of the variety known as the chestnut-flanked white (of which only males show chestnut-colored flanks. Females are white with a bit of grey speckling on the head.) Finches should not be kept alone, they are highly nervous birds and need company, I would make it a priority to get it a same-sex companion. It was obviously the odd one out and was kept in too small a cage with too many birds before. Do not introduce a male zebra, because they will breed, and in her condition she should not be laying any eggs,