• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new little man!

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Oh my, he sure is gorgeous. Dobermans are my favorite breed of dog. I love how he has the curly ears of the GSD but the thinness of the Doberman. Do you think his ears will stand up like the GSD or will they drop like the natural ears of the Doberman?

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Thank you! The more I look at him the more I see blends of each breed of dog. Its kinda hard to tell since he is still so young but I would bet that his ears are going to stand like a GSD. They are already flopping forward and sometimes will stay up while he is messing around, also they are the same shape. He would be all the envy of Dobe owners... naturally upright ears!! :D

Senneth

Strolling the yard
He's getting so leggy!

You can try taping his ears to help them stand. It's harmless and just helps the cartilage support the tips better. I had to do it to my Toy Fox Terrier, as his ears were being stubborn. I just used medical tape. Figure out where the bend is in the ear, hold it flat and place the tape around the bend point. Don't fold the ear and don't wrap it tightly. I made sure there was always a couple millimeters of extra tape on each side of the ear. You might have to use more than one pass around the ear above and below the bend because he's bigger than my dog, but once the tape is on the ears should stand. After a couple weeks, his ears stood on their own. If you need a pic, I'll grab my dog and put the tape back on. He'll be simply thrilled :lol:

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Thank you for the kind words!!! :D he really is a great pup. He picks things up incredibly fast, he does still wake me up in the middle of the night... But it's important, he has to potty! He gets along famously with my APBT which is such a relief, because she usually is not so tolerant of pups. She isn't mean, but she could not be more disgusted by their presence. He loves collecting shoes, he doesn't chew on them he just stealing them. I enclosed another photo, my mom has her own upholstery shop so the dogs come along quite frequently. It is great exposure and socialization!

Attachments

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So so cute :D

Senneth

Strolling the yard
Here you go! Thumper is not impressed :p

The best I could find was paper tape, but that won't work well for you as it won't stay. But it'll still give you the idea. It's important to note that the tape is only there as a support. It's not on there tight, doesn't fold the ear, and although it encircles the ear it's really only attached to the front and back. I changed it at least once every day, but more often of he got dirty. Hope this helps!

Attachments

Last edited:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Good looking pup, and he's bound to be super smart with dobie and GSD in his genes!

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Very cute pup.

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Thank you Senneth! Seems fairly simple. He turns 3 months on Tuesday, I'm wondering if I should just see what they do while he is teething? I read that the ears tend to go all wonky during this stage. His other ear hasn't even flipped yet, its not so drop but more of a rose. Your poor little dog, LOL he is like oh god not this again :D.

All appreciation towards the sweet comments! He is a wonderful pup and I feel very lucky. I suppose so is he. Here is a pic I took today of him with my APBT girl, Odyssey. She just turned 8 less than a month ago and she is my heart.

Attachments

Senneth

Strolling the yard
I wouldn't bother with it until he's at least 6 months old, but no older than 8-9 months. He's still young enough that they might stand on their own by then

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
:faint: the cuteness! Odyssey is beautiful.

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
I just wanted to post a quick update, Brinks is now 9 months old and a whopping 85 lbs, about 27-28 inches high. He isn't done growing yet either! He is a wonderfully sweet boy with tons of life and personality, I love him to death <3.

Oh and his ears never decided what they want to do. They go all over the place and are never the same!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What a cutie :fairy2: