• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new little man!

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Two weeks ago I was heading home from Georgia back to Florida and ran into a lady who had a litter of pups... the mother stopped feeding them, and she didn't want to feed them either! UHG. I have such a soft spot I couldn't say no. SO I am now the proud new mom of a Doberman/German Shepherd little boy, she says he was 6 weeks but I believe him to have not even been 5 at the time. He was wormy, on a poor diet, lethargic and puked on me on the trip home. He's a pretty interesting cross and I've never had either breed, or a large breed, but have always admired both. I have always kept American Pit Bull Terriers, and my girl is getting older at 8 so I thought maybe a pup wouldn't be such a bad idea. I plan on doing some kind of sport with him as he gets older. His name is BRINKS and he is such a little snot, but smart and I'm in love with him. He's been such a trooper and I literally take him everywhere so he is getting a very good boost on his socialization skills. Overall I'm so happy I have him and am so looking forward to watching him grow!

Senneth

Strolling the yard
:swoon:He's a cutie! And a lovely mixture to go with it! I'm a fan of both breeds, they've always been the best dogs I've ever seen. I hope you post lots of pictures of him, I'm curious about how he'll look in adulthood!

I think that breeder needs to come up with a better excuse for letting them go that early though... Puppies are generally weaned around 3-4 weeks of age, and the process is completed between 6-8 weeks generally. So the mother isn't supposed to be feeding them at that age anyway... With Brinks being in the 5/6 week range when you got him, that means he should have been on puppy food already. So it seems that it's not that she didn't want to feed them, but was too lazy to convert them properly to puppy food.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
PUPPY!!!! So cute CONGRATS !!!!!:laughing12:

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Look at that face!!!! So cute!

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Thank you everyone! He truly has warmed my heart.

She did say they were eating real food, but not dry kibble just moist. I'm wondering if it was too hard for them? I feed him dry now but I always soak it in warm water beforehand. I say that's why she didn't want them anymore but I'm not sure if its the real reason as she didn't say.. but I am fairly confident she lied about how old he is. I found out about them through craigslist, and discovered she posted two different times apart and in one the pups DOB is listed as 2/9 and she told me when I asked that their birthday is 2/1! He is in much better shape now and while I would have preferred he got to spend more time with his mama I do feel very lucky to be his new mom.

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
so adorable!! I love both breeds and he's such a cutie!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Adorable! Thank you for helping him. :)
I love both those breeds, I'm sure he'll look stunning as he gets older too.
Wishing you many wonderful years with him!

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
He's a cutie!! Looks like he's learning the ropes playing on the beach!!

In 2006 my Border Collie/Rottweiler mix had pups and they were fully weaned at 6 week old. The vet said they were healthy enough to go to new homes at that time but we choose to keep them together for a couple more weeks so they had their mom and siblings to romp around with while learning to be dogs together.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:congrats5:

I love German Shepherds & a Doberman mix should be a good combo.

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Thank you everyone!! :D I'm glad to have him but if I had a choice I wouldve left him with his mom and siblings for another month so he could be a baby. Now that he's with me he literally goes everywhere I do and is exposed to many different situations so I am hoping for a well rounded canine :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
what a sweetie pie.

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
What a sweet puppy!

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Oh what cuteness. I love a german shepherd and I love the mix with a doberman.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's so cute. Love the pics, esp. the beach one.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
aww he is soo cute!! happy to hear you rescued him and gave him a great home :)

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
He's gorgeous and very lucky you took him. Glad he is being well socialized . We will naturally want updates on him.
Congrats!!

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Thank you everybody! My phone is littered with pics of him so updates are a given! Love him and am so excited to watch him grow up :)