• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new cockatoo

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
SUPER IMPORTANT!!!

I forgot to say this. Make sure the food you think your bird is "eating" is actually being eaten. Check their crop after they have eaten some food. It's located where the neck and chest connect. There are two bones that protrude when the crop is empty and when it's full or has food in it you should feel a sac if mushy pellets or whatever echo ate. If the bird was not properly weaned, it may not be ingesting the pellets and merely mashing them up. I had a couple birds who did this when I got them and one of them actually died because I was told it was "fully weaned" and the bird wasn't even on solids at all. If the crop is empty after the bird as chewed on the pellets I suggest going to the vet. I would say back to the breeder but this one sounds bad so nevermind on that. Ask the vet to check the bird out and teach you how to handfeed your bird formula. I would do this asap because if the bird isn't actually eating and only appears to be eating, then it hasn't had any food since it's last hand feeding at the breeders place.

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
SUPER IMPORTANT!!!

I forgot to say this. Make sure the food you think your bird is "eating" is actually being eaten. Check their crop after they have eaten some food. It's located where the neck and chest connect. There are two bones that protrude when the crop is empty and when it's full or has food in it you should feel a sac if mushy pellets or whatever echo ate. If the bird was not properly weaned, it may not be ingesting the pellets and merely mashing them up. I had a couple birds who did this when I got them and one of them actually died because I was told it was "fully weaned" and the bird wasn't even on solids at all. If the crop is empty after the bird as chewed on the pellets I suggest going to the vet. I would say back to the breeder but this one sounds bad so nevermind on that. Ask the vet to check the bird out and teach you how to handfeed your bird formula. I would do this asap because if the bird isn't actually eating and only appears to be eating, then it hasn't had any food since it's last hand feeding at the breeders place.
She is defo swallowing the food. I can't feel her crop tho. Think vets is in order

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ducorps' Cockatoos will whine for absolutely no reason at all for the first year or two of life and then will just stop one day. If you go onto YouTube and look for videos of baby D2s, you will see that this is the case. They are a very different kind of Cockatoo. Here is a video. If you read what they said at the bottom, they were warned by the breeder.

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Ducorps' Cockatoos will whine for absolutely no reason at all for the first year or two of life and then will just stop one day. If you go onto YouTube and look for videos of baby D2s, you will see that this is the case. They are a very different kind of Cockatoo. Here is a video. If you read what they said at the bottom, they were warned by the breeder.

I don't mind the whining as we have 3 very loud cockatiels and a VERY loud macaw lol. I just wanted to make sure she was okay and not in pain or anything. She does stop when a toy in her cage interests her or she gets tired and has a nap lol

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I don't mind the whining as we have 3 very loud cockatiels and a VERY loud macaw lol. I just wanted to make sure she was okay and not in pain or anything. She does stop when a toy in her cage interests her or she gets tired and has a nap lol
Yes, I just wanted you to know that it is natural and she'll probably do it for a year or more and then one day, poof! It's gone. I have a 16 year old male and he will still do it when he feels that he's being ignored and screaming doesn't get him what he wants. Most people say they never hear it again after the initial year or so. Some people find it incredibly annoying!:)

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Awww I would never get anything done as I would cuddle that little baby continually! And I would definitely be creating a monster!
:dunce: lol

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The ctop is at the bottom of the neck and just above her keel. You will want to "feel your bird up" to get to know what the crop feels like. By blowing the feathers apart you should see the crop. My daughter calls it a birdie boob as that is what it looks like when they're full at the bottom of their neck. Be gentle when you are feeling the crop.

How often are you handfeeding her? How are you preparing her formula?

At three months old I am surprised they sold you your baby ducorps. I thought it was illegal in the UK to sell unweaned parrots.
She is defo swallowing the food. I can't feel her crop tho. Think vets is in order