• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My New Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jess
I have just got back from picking my new snakie up. The breeders were lovely, let me choose from the five babies they had and meet and handle the parents (who are stunning!!). I decided to go for this one because he was the biggest, the best feeder and the only one who didnt curl into strike pose lol!

These pics were take just after we arrived home, as you can tell, he's very tame and chilled out! He's due to shed any day so he will be a different colour then lol Check out his rainbow shimmer though, soooo pretty!

Beautiful eye

Now to the serious stuff... I have shortlisted TWO names and need opinions.

Name 1 - Mickey.. Because he has a Mickey Mouse marking!!

Name 2 - Scrumpy.. Because of this picture the breeder had lol

Which do we like?

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
He is gorgeous... as long as he stays at your house and not mine!

I like the name mickey, esp. cause of the adorable mickey mouse marking!!!

Also, I respect you guys and gals who can live with snakes, because of all animals snakes get to me the most. I have even swam with sharks etc, but after having an anaconda put around my neck when I was about 7... ya that ruined it for me!

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
OMMMMGGG!!! I absolutely adore these snakes!
I have wanted one for YEARS now! They are stunning! The colors on them are just amazing! I love the patterns too. I'm insanely jealous as my boyfriend kind of draws the line when it comes to snakes :(

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
I used to have a female named Electra. I finally placed her because I had bad dreams about her getting loose and eating my Chihuahua! They will eat ANYTHING you give them, unlike my ball pythons, who would only eat thawed warmed, blow-dried rats, thank you.
He's going to be really gorgeous once he sheds. I like Mickey. He must be really mellow if he didn't strike right before a shed!

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I used to have a female named Electra. I finally placed her because I had bad dreams about her getting loose and eating my Chihuahua! They will eat ANYTHING you give them, unlike my ball pythons, who would only eat thawed warmed, blow-dried rats, thank you.
He's going to be really gorgeous once he sheds. I like Mickey. He must be really mellow if he didn't strike right before a shed!
Darn! i was just going to start researching snakes and see whats involved because i've wanted one for awhile. I REALLY like these guys, but now that you've said that I'LL have nightmares of one eating my pups!:eek: lol, back to researching the ball python!

Jess

Real Name
Jess
Thanks for the replies!

He is super tame! The babies were all handled right from theday they hatched so they've been used to being picked up. Having bred snakes in the past I know how evil baby snakes can be, they can give you a nasty bite! Im amazed this guy didnt even attempt to strike as he probably cant see too well as his eyes are definately getting that milky shed look lol

Cory

Real Name
Cory
Congratulations! Very nice BRB! :D I used to have one. :)

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
Very beautiful markings. :heart: You can tell a skin shedding is in the works. All animals are beautiful, but snakes have a special beauty all their own. I like Scrumpy...thats so different and cute.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are correct. His vision is hampered right now due to the caps on his eyes. Expect a little more action after the shed. He is beautiful and I like the name Micky!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Oh, I've got to put one of those on my wish list along with a Dumerils. What a gorgeous little guy!

~Tiko~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
Gorgeous little guy!!:heart:

Jess

Real Name
Jess
Thanks for all the lovely comments! Here's some pics earlier now he has shed:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Pretty boy! I like Mickey :)

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Pretty snake.

If it wasn't for my feeling sorrow about the horror/fright that little mice and rats, etc. must feel when dropped into a snake enclosure, without any chance of escape (like they have in the wild), I would like pet snakes too. If I had one, I personally could only feed it frozen/thawed food - if those food animals/rodents were killed humanely. I think I'll stick to birds.

I personally feel snakes should not be kept as pets, especially if fed live food but that is just my opinion though.

hsmoscout

wow, I'm surprised he didn't go into strike pose when he's about to shed! Usually they strike at anything with a heat signature since they can't see that well when their skin is coming loose.

Jess

Real Name
Jess
Pretty snake.

If it wasn't for my feeling sorrow about the horror/fright that little mice and rats, etc. must feel when dropped into a snake enclosure, without any chance of escape (like they have in the wild), I would like pet snakes too. If I had one, I personally could only feed it frozen/thawed food - if those food animals/rodents were killed humanely. I think I'll stick to birds.

I personally feel snakes should not be kept as pets, especially if fed live food but that is just my opinion though.
Its illegal to feed live food over here (other than insects) so there is nothing like that going on here :D We can only feed humanely euthanised animals to our snakes.

I dont think i could watch a snake kill a mouse/rat either, i know its nature but it would make me feel ill!! Its odd as i dont really mind seeing the insects being eaten :confused: Weird..

hsmoscout - I was surprised by that too, i would not have blamed him at all if he had bitten me but he was very chilled out. He may, of course, get a bit more fiesty once he settles in :lol:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
How gorgeous! I had a pair of these that I ended up selling before graduate school started. Mine came from Robert Seib, they were beautiful snakes and he had the lineage paperwork that traced them back to the bloodlines of the ones that had been pulled from the wild. Janet is right, they have a great feed response, just like many of the boas species. If I had other snakes that didn't eat for the night I would just feed the leftovers to them, seemed like they were always hungry.

I love the name Mickey! I had an albino burmese python once named Woodstock, he had a peace sign marking on his back and that was how he got his name. :)

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
"Its illegal to feed live food over here (other than insects) so there is nothing like that going on here :D We can only feed humanely euthanised animals to our snakes.

I dont think i could watch a snake kill a mouse/rat either, i know its nature but it would make me feel ill!! ......."
I am personally glad to hear that.

Yes it is "nature" for a snake to kill a rat/mouse etc. but it is not nature or natural for that prey animal to have no chance of escape when dropped into a snake enclosure. I wish every snake keeper was as compassionate as you are Jess. :cool:

Jess

Real Name
Jess
I love the name Woodstock :D Thats great!

Heres some new pics Post Shed:

Status
Not open for further replies.