• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new baby Alex

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
What a handsome fella! If he isn't named yet he looks like a Jake or Samson to me :)

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
Thinking Beau, but not fully decided yet.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutue pie.

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
Been a while. Beau is now almost 5 months old.
We are just about over the bluff stage, and I haven't been bitten.
As of tonight I can put my fingers inside his beak (he was trying to eat beads of fruit my dress, and wanted to make sure didn't ingest any) without worry of being bitten.
Since day one he decided I was his world. He takes everything in his stride (growls at the dog sometimes though).

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
Spoke too soon, back to the bluff last night. At least the body language is clear and he understands no.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Although I have had a few birds during my life. I was fortunate enough to have my dream bird. His name was Marlin and he was an Alexandrine parakeet. Marlin was with us for two and half years before he was spooked and flew off. This was on the 8th of August 2015. I don't believe that the species should be the dream, but more the connection between you and your bird. Marlin was my dream bird not because he was an Alexandrine, it was because he was companion bird to the family and became a family member, in all context of that statement. I'm glad that we had time with Marlin and his absence has left a void in our life and we still miss him terribly.

Like most parrots, they are flock orientated and will interact with their human flock. Marlin was very social and preferred to be with us than his toys. He was not hard to train. The secret is time, lots and lots of time of bonding and training. Like all animals if you want a well-behaved and trained animal then you need to put in the time. This is my personal experience. Alexandrine Parakeets are known has gentle giants and are up there with the African Grey and Eclectus for intelligence. Alexandrines are AMAZING bird and don't believe everything you're told about Alexandrines.

Marlin was quite happy to sit on any of the family's shoulder and chat to them. When Marlin was young the family would sit down in a circle and play pass the parcel with Marlin. This meant that each family member would get Marlin to step up and then he would get a scratch and a rub, then pass onto the next family member. This was done until Marlin was able to fly around the house and he would always fly onto someone shoulder have a chat and move on.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Beau is just too cute for words.

Aubrey