• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new babies

emzymayzy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Hello every one here are my new babies... havent sorted names out yet one might be called jaffa not sure on the other one yet maybe fig... they didnt eat a thing yesterday but they took some millet today how long should i expect to see them start eating proper food from the bowls

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Emma they are beautiful! :heart:

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Emma they are beautiful! :heart:
I was very surprised how easy it was to catch one that flew out the cage as i put the box in it hid under things for a while but came out to step on to a perch that i put in front of his face and stepped right on it that was a very promising start as they aren't tame... by the way was it right for the shop people to of only trim one wing i personally don't know why they didn't clip both sides maybe you could educate me on that

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That's sort of an old style way of trimming, the theory is that they can't fly well because that one side keeps them awkward. Did you want them clipped? Mine were gone away to a friend for a year, when they came back Spirit was clipped on one side.

I don't like the single-side clip because of potential injury, but that's just me. You might want to clip the other side to match, just for now while you are taming them. Later on yyou can choose whether to let the wings grow out and keep them flighted. :)

Tiels usually can still fly even with the clip!

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
That's sort of an old style way of trimming, the theory is that they can't fly well because that one side keeps them awkward. Did you want them clipped? Mine were gone away to a friend for a year, when they came back Spirit was clipped on one side.

I don't like the single-side clip because of potential injury, but that's just me. You might want to clip the other side to match, just for now while you are taming them. Later on yyou can choose whether to let the wings grow out and keep them flighted. :)

Tiels usually can still fly even with the clip!
yeah i am going to have to tame them first to get them in a box for some one to do it i don't want them hating me for clipping their wings... and i would like them to fly eventually once they are tame... as my budgies can fly

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're very cute!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They are so cute! They should start eating more after you have had them for a couple of days. You can tell if they're eating because they will be pooping more. Also, you can cover three sides of their cage so they feel safe enough to eat. That's great that one of them already stepped on a stick! You might want to get a small travel cage for when you go to the vet, rather than a box. Your birds would probably be more comfortable and less scared in it, and while in the car you can cover half of it so they feel secure.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
They are so cute! They should start eating more after you have had them for a couple of days. You can tell if they're eating because they will be pooping more. Also, you can cover three sides of their cage so they feel safe enough to eat. That's great that one of them already stepped on a stick! You might want to get a small travel cage for when you go to the vet, rather than a box. Your birds would probably be more comfortable and less scared in it, and while in the car you can cover half of it so they feel secure.
Thank you great i dea if they seem percy enough do you think they can come out tonight or tomorrow my budges are very intregued

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If they seem like they want to, sure! I would keep your budgies away from them for now. Just allow yourself plenty of time for them to go back to their cage. If they are kept kind of hungry when they are out, they might want to go back in to eat eventually.

About the food you said they might not be eating, is it the same thing they were eating before you got them?

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
If they seem like they want to, sure! I would keep your budgies away from them for now. Just allow yourself plenty of time for them to go back to their cage. If they are kept kind of hungry when they are out, they might want to go back in to eat eventually.

About the food you said they might not be eating, is it the same thing they were eating before you got them?
Yeah when i got back home i noticed empty sunflower seeds and drinking and loads of millet eaten so all good... they are making noises now so thats a sign of happeness and went through a hyper stage i cant exactly stop my budgie from going to their cage though he gets feisty if he dont get out time

Attachments

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
They are adorable. I would definitely even out the clip, just so their feathers grow out easily. Don't assume they can't fly, though...Buddy can get pretty far if she wants to, and she's clipped because of her vision issues.

Love Birds

Meeting neighbors
Cute birds!

If you want to change their diet, you can gradually add other types of food to their regular food. Always do it gradually if you are adding something new. You can eventually feed your birds fresh veggies. The dark green and orange ones are the best for them. DON'T feed apple seeds, onion, chocolate, rhubarb, ICEBERG lettuce. Birds have delicate respiratory systems, so don't use Teflon pans (overheating is the dangerous thing), don't use plug-in air fresheners, don't use air fresheners in your car, either. Good to start them on veggies early before they develop certain eating habits. Birds should not be on an all seed diet...too fatty. When my cockatiel was young, he loved frozen mixed vegetables (cooked of course). He is 28 years old now. He also eats Avi-cakes.

My cockatiel had a large vocabulary when it was younger. I spent a lot of time talking to eat and repeating certain words and phrases.

Eventually you can give the cockatiels baths. Baths are good for them since they remove some of the dander.

Try to take them out of the cage every day.

Clean their cage daily as well as their food and water cups.

Make sure you have various types of perches (not cement ones) in the cage so the bottoms of their feet don't get sores. The wooden dowel perches are not really good for their feet.

Your budgie is probably curious about his new flock mates.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Cute birds!

If you want to change their diet, you can gradually add other types of food to their regular food. Always do it gradually if you are adding something new. You can eventually feed your birds fresh veggies. The dark green and orange ones are the best for them. DON'T feed apple seeds, onion, chocolate, rhubarb, ICEBERG lettuce. Birds have delicate respiratory systems, so don't use Teflon pans (overheating is the dangerous thing), don't use plug-in air fresheners, don't use air fresheners in your car, either. Good to start them on veggies early before they develop certain eating habits. Birds should not be on an all seed diet...too fatty. When my cockatiel was young, he loved frozen mixed vegetables (cooked of course). He is 28 years old now. He also eats Avi-cakes.

My cockatiel had a large vocabulary when it was younger. I spent a lot of time talking to eat and repeating certain words and phrases.

Eventually you can give the cockatiels baths. Baths are good for them since they remove some of the dander.

Try to take them out of the cage every day.

Clean their cage daily as well as their food and water cups.

Make sure you have various types of perches (not cement ones) in the cage so the bottoms of their feet don't get sores. The wooden dowel perches are not really good for their feet.

Your budgie is probably curious about his new flock mates.
Thank you very much i have frozen veg but its been in there for probably 2 years i think. Its carrot peas cauli and green beens... thorwed of cooks?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You can cook or just thaw, it depends on what they like so try them both ways. I would say two years is too old. Even frozen veggies get weird after a while. Make sure there is not salt or anything added to them too.