• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video My new 4 month old Blue Quaker

Rana Asim Wajid

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Got this cutie a month back.Dont know its its a boy or a girl but my daughter has named him/her "Elsa"....

We are having one problem with him/her....when we give seed-mix it only eats the sunflower seeds and wont touch anything else....wont touch pellets either nor fruits or veggies....likes bran bread and egg food though....any advice ?

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Try giving warm wet pellets. Just use hot tap water (if it's safe to drink), let them soak for a bit to soften and cool to warm. You can try feeding from a small spoon. Try different good quality pellets as some are liked more than others.

You can put chunks of veggies and fruits on a skewer and let her explore them as toys. She may decide she likes them after tasting some by accident.

Or steam a small amount of a variety of veggies and puree them into a soup. Freeze in ice cube trays. Feed by spoon warm (not hot).

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Congratulations on your baby!
I have used Harrisons Birdie bread to transition to their pellets.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Congratulations on your new feathered friend Elsa. :) Soaking the pellets just enough to soften them often works well to introduce pellets to parrots who aren't used to eating them. Though my two parrots both eat dry pellets, they still enjoy the softened ones too; Ralph the QP thinks they're a special treat. To introduce vegetables to a parrot, it can help to experiment with different ways of preparing them. Most vegetables can be offered either raw or cooked (most types of beans need to be cooked thoroughly). Try offering larger pieces, finely chopped vegetables or mash them up. You can try eating some of them in front of Elsa and make a big show of letting her know how good they are. Parrots usually want to share foods their human friends are obviously enjoying. :D

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Elsa is very cute. Congratulations.