• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What should i do until this is resolved?

• Cry on my bedroom floor

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Cry in my shower

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Cry while doing the dishes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cry while staring at my bird so he knows im sad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cry in a grocery store in front of strangers

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Have a sit down with my bird and tell him how i feel

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Helpilovebirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello all! i need need NEED ANSWERS!

I bought my first baby birdy from Petco (dont come at me) 5 years ago. I named him Birdbird because im awesome at names. He is a Pineapple GCC. I have always loved him. We would go EVERYWHERE together! He loved to snuggle under my sweaters holding onto my undershirt or bra and just sleep or peek his head out. Absolutly a scaredy cat but a strong boy all at once. Needless to say he was my best friend!

Him and I would lay on my pillow for hours while i was on my phone, he would snuggle up and lay over my mouth and warm himself with my hot breath and fall asleep.
He had a bubble for sure, he didnt like other people (at first / new people / vets). He would thin out, lean away, and try to get back to me.

He was so great! 3 years ago i thought to get him a sister for those lonely days when we were at work. Now before you say, "theres your problem! You got another bird and he loves her (yes shes a lady) and youve been replaced you dingus!"
Well, no. Thats not what happened.
He is the dominant one. Especially around food. I mean the pecking order was REAL with him. Food is life. (Roudybush pellets and chop) so they lived in separate cages, occasionally sleeping in birdbirds cage together at night.
Then about 6 months ago, i started leaving them in the same cage all together. (We adopted a 26 year old cockteil who needed a bigger cage, so we moved him into Felix's (baby lady birds) cage)

So this may have to do with his behavior. I just want it to stop.

HE IS SO GOD FRICKIN AGGRESSIVE! Like a completely different bird! 100 percent changed!
They dont do the frick frack, theres no nesting materials, they just snuggle when they snooze. Birdbird only wants to literally EAT MY FACE OFF! When i open their cage to let them roam around, he IMMEDIATELY goes to wherever my face is (say im cleaning the cage liners or rearranging toys, changing food or water, or even wiping down dressers near by) he WILL LITERALLY FOLLOW ONLY MY FACE AROUND AND DO THAT LEANING LUNGING THING AT. MY. FACE. i have N E V E R!

One time i forgot to keep my distance and when i looked up he snapped down on my bottom left lip and didnt let go, grinding his beak deep into my flesh. I was screaming and crying while my husband helped get him off me with a wooden bird stick. I ran to the bathroom and cried in disbelief. He was my boy. My cuddle bug. I was in shock!
He has bitten fingers and "scooped out chunks of fleash out of my finger with his bottom beak, has bitten my nose, my hands are permanently scarred all over.

My lip was bitten 2 weeks ago and its permanently damaged. The bruising and swelling are completely gone, but there is nerve damage and a hunk of scar tissue. it permanently Feels numb like after a dentist shot.

Im about to give him up. I cant take it anymore. If it were just the aggression that would be fine. I could accept him.
But its the years of love that is thrown away. This has been getting worse and worse. The past month and a half has been the worst between us. I dont treat him any different. I still try to cup him (cuddle) and kiss his little white head.

I miss my special guy.
If you have ANYTHING to say, relate to, open up about, ANYTHING TO GIVE ME SOME HOPE OR AT LEAST PEACE OF MIND i welcome it with open arms! Snapchat-1159898281.jpg Snapchat-513308795.jpg Snapchat-1159898281.jpg Snapchat-513308795.jpg Snapchat-1159898281.jpg Snapchat-513308795.jpg Snapchat-1159898281.jpg

Yours truely:
A super depressed mommy to a once beautiful relationship with my son.

Ps: my daughter (felix) is also a gcc and shes very obedient! Is way snuggly and loves to dance with me. So theres sadness that she will trun out the same.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I wish I had knowledgeable advice for you. If it were me, I'd have them in separate cages...at least during the day. Also, give him space. Talk to him and show him you love him but don't try to handle him. You also may want to take him for a checkup...rule out something physical.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So the biggest problem is likely that you caged the two together. Once you did that, it went from a flock situation to a potential mate situation. Now he has to protect the nest, his lady from competition (you!), and if she is not interested in him as a mate, then that could also be keeping him on edge.

Can you separate them again and see if that cools his jets?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My suggestion? If you know that letting him out of his cage is going to result in a bite, then stop letting him out! Instead, start working on target training and station training through the cage bars. Teach him to target to any location within the cage and learn how to give him rewards without getting bitten! Once he's good at targeting to any location through the cage bars, then you can target train through the open cage door and around the outside of the cage. Eventually, you can work towards target training away from the cage.

If you get bit, set him down for at least a few moments, then try to figure out how you can avoid that situation in the future. Don't allow him to continue biting! Please check out the links/video in the following thread!

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

As far as your lip goes... it may heal in time. When I was a teen, I had, at the time, a young hyacinth macaw on me. She was owned by the local parrot store. She was very gently using her beak to explore, including my fingers. Well, she put a little too much pressure onto my left pinky nail. It was not a bite by any means, but it was enough pressure to crack the nail and that thing hurt for 2 weeks straight! After that though, it stopped hurting. I know lip is not the same as a finger, but you never know... it may still heal.

Helpilovebirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Yall are so great! Thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice and knowing that people really care :,)

Ive put mr birdbird in sugar's old cage:) its a little smaller but honestly, He loves smaller spaces.

Im gonna try target training as well!

Thanks for responding so quick! I was hesitant to register but im glad to have a little community of bird people to help:)

Orion Wisehart

Moving in
Real Name
Orion
You poor thing... I hope things get better and you don't have to resort to rehoming Mr. Birdbird. Keep us updated on how he's handling the new caging situation and his progress!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Mizzley and of course Monica have great advice. It's the bonding thing. Zia is more nippy with me now that she has Maui as a friend and she was such a human person...hated all the other birds. One they move in together, they do see their space as more of a nest/mate thing.

Zephyr pinches the crap out of me if he sits with me while Jewel is near. But if Jewel is off with another boyfriend, he can be so sweet.

Lady Hampton

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Crystal
My Wall-E has always been aggressive and a biter especially when I’m near their cage/food. I have 2 females that are caged together but Wall-E is the dominant one and she lets you know it. So it was most likely them being in the same cage. Let us know how he is after moving him to another cage.

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I was gonna vote for all options in your poll but it wouldn’t let me!