• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My macaw has a pinkish swollen eye...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebird_luv

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jasmin
I took my 4yr old macaw to get his wings and nails cut and i don't know if that was the way to do this procedure but i did not like it again and will never go back there to take my baby! They got him inside a net and his entire body was in it they will cut his nails first and after spread his wings to clip them and the second he came out i noticed one side of his eye swollen. Was it maybe to much pressure on him or what actually caused this? This was today at 2pm and he still has the right side pinkish and kinda swollen. Is this normal? What to do? He is fine: screams, talks, eats, drinks but im concern. :huh:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
They may have held his head too tight and caused a bruise. Keep an eye on him. It will probably go away. I think he will be just fine.

I would certainly contact the owner of the establishment and let them know what happened. While it can happen, they should be aware that their handlers need to be more gentle.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:( I haven't the slightest idea. Hopefully someone will be on here soon with more info. I imagine it was how they were restraining him that caused it. Poor guy :hug8:
-whoops, looks like Kathie beat me here ;)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I wouldn’t take him back there either, sounds like an awful place and a bit traumatizing too. :eek:

After all that, I do hope they cut his nails properly, as well as trimmed his wings properly too without doing a tacky job!

Hope his eye will be okay, keep an eye on it, if it gets worse you may need to have him seen. :hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There is the possibility that the stress from the handling (especially if it's done badly) could have caused him to "blow a blood vessel" so to speak.

I'm not saying that is the definite cause but a possibility.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
The whites on their faces are very sensitive. A small cut can look really bad, also they bruise easily.
I wouldn't take him back there. Someone who has experience with big macaws like that, should know how to restrain them.
Next time, take him to an Avian vet.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Agreed. The mandible should have been held by one, while the other did the trimming. It sounds barbaric! I used to go someplace like that, they had no clue how to handle a bird, and used a dremmel.:( Now I have a mobile bird service for nails. We don't do wings...
Welcome to Avian Avenue!:hug8: Hope your faby will be just fine!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw, I am not sure but I hope your faby will be ok :hug8:.

Bluebird_luv

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jasmin
Thankyou guys for your responses, im happy to say that my baby is doing just great! His eye is way better, there is still about 1% pinkish in there but no big deal, hopefully by this week it will be completely gone :dance4:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yay, that is great news!:hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Bet they didn't know how to restrain.....

I learned my lesson the hard way.....

before I knew better I took Anna to a "Bird Groomer"..... she went too deep into Anna's beak ( I had told her not to do anything to her beak) And Anna led and bled... it took several months for it to get back to normal......

Now only an Avian Vet will touch my aies.... and it does cost, but it is sooooo worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.