• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My lovie is fluffed up on the bottom of the cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
Mickey is my most active and aggressive lovebird. But for the last two or three days she fluffs up and prefers the bottom of the cage (although she comes up to eat). But she seems not very hungry, lethargic and depressed. Sunny, her mate has been visiting her and feeding her on the bottom.
I'm thinking she may be egg-bound, but I don't know what to do for her.

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
I don't have much to offer as far as advice ... but do you have an Avian vet you can take Mickey too?

Here's hoping its nothing serious.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
can you take her to an avian vet? or try this....take her in your bathroom...run the shower or bath on hot for at least 15 minutes..of course you are holding her outside of the shower in a towel so she can get the benefit of the steam and humidity..do you have a humidifier..put it somewhere around her cage..the humidity usually helps them to pass the egg..otherwise you will have to get her to an avian vet...asap

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
I am in an area with no Avian vet. My regular vet is fairly knowledgeable, but not an expert. I could put her into a smaller cage with moist heat but I'm concerned about the shower because she has not come to me since we weaned her and she bites if approached. I'm not even sure she's egg bound but she is showing some signs of that condition.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
get her some of that moist heat going then, in the smaller cage....also provide extra cuttle bone ...many prayers coming your way...perhaps you should make the call to your regular vet anyway..they may surprise you with their knowledge.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Birds decline very fast. You really need to get her checked out ASAP..a few days is a HUGE deal. Please seek veterinary help, I am sure we can help you find a competent vet if you give us more information.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Thanks Bonnie, hope your feeling better.

Ginger

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
She's looking kind of fluffed up all over. Her rear end doesn't look big as far as I can tell.

I think I'll transfer her to a smaller cage with moist heat and call my local vet. I wish I was a bit closer to tallahassee I'd take her in, but that's about a 3+ hour drive.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I drive about 2 hours and 20 minutes to see my avian vet in Miami. Maybe you can have your vet do a phone or email consultation.

Ginger

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Keep him as warm as possible until you can get him to a vet. Hugs to you both.:hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Dr Pietrzyk in Mobile is who we use - that's a little closer to you than Tallahassee
Ed Pietrzyk, D.V.M. - University Animal Hospital
801 University Blvd, Mobile, AL 36609 - Tel. (251) 344-9828

Last edited:

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
I'm getting scared now after posting. I've got a call in to the local vet and Mick with some moist heat. I can't imagine anything happening to her. She is the Ms. Personality of my whole brood (even tho she loves to bite). I may drive to Tallahassee, if they'll see me on a Saturday night.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope your little one is ok :hug8:

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
I read one of the posts Bonnie sent (thanks Bonnie for sending) and it is truly frightening.

GG you're right. I forgot about Dr. Pietrzyk. He is closer, probably about 1 1/2 hours from me. I'll see what my Vet, Dr. Forgey has to say. Thanks everybody for your valuable input.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Let us know how she does this evening and what you hear from the vet

:hug8:

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:hug8: hoping everything goes alright. Looking forward to your updates :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Kathy please let us know how it goes. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
Everything seems calm on the home front. Mickey is back up on the perch, resting
peacefully next to Sunny. My vet says to keep a watch on her and it's a good sign that she's sleeping on the perch, but to let her know if any changes.

I keep checking on her and she's warm and seems comfortable at this time. I'm still concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.