• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

MY LOVEBIRD

Kathy Widener

Moving in
My lovebird is 17 years old. I have given him mouth to mouth resuscitation a few times to bring him back to life. He was not breathing well and could not walk. I am wondering if he had a stroke. He is very thin. I have bought allot of high calorie food for him and it is not putting the weight back on. Taking him to the vet right now is not affordable for us, however, we will take him when we can. it costs $145 for just the office visit.

I am here today because I was doing a search to find answers to my questions regarding his health and wellness so I can possibly help him until I can get him to his Doctor. Yes he has his own doctor.

Does anyone know if there is a product that will give him more energy and put weight on as well as heart health products? Any advice will be much appreciated. I have taken very good care of him for 17 years. He is my baby birdy. I love him very much and would enjoy his company for another few years. I know lovebirds can live to be 20. I want him to live that long at least. forever really.

Peachy is his name.
Kathy

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I don't have any answers for you, but could a mod move this to the emergency section or put something in the title to alert that it's an emergency/looking for help?

Hope you are able to get to the vet ASAP and figure something out for Peachy.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Oh good, glad you were able to get it there :) It's just people might not realize you need help and I wanted to be sure that someone who could maybe help you is able to see it :) Please keep us updated on Peachy!
Happy new year to you as well!! :)

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
17 years is quite elderly for a lovie! You might try making him oatmeal with ground nuts and coconut oil. It's high calorie and nutritious. In any case, may you find ways to provide him with quality of life over quantity...

Though what "quality of life" means for each person might be different, I would encourage you to consider his perspective and if he is in extreme pain or is suffering greatly from advanced disease sometimes the harder thing of allowing him to fall asleep is the kinder thing to do. In a sense you might consider it a transfer, taking up his pain in your own heartache by allowing him to be set free of his suffering. I'm not suggesting that you do anything drastic! But if he continues to get worse, and continues to stop breathing, maybe he's letting you know that his time is drawing to a close.

Sadly, though humans seem built to live to 100 years, some of those dearest to me were gone decades before that time. And given what they went through at the end, their rest after battle was a bittersweet thing to those who were left behind.

May we all live to the fullest, no matter the number of our days.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
How is Peachy doing ?