• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Lovebird Is Terrified Of My Presence.

Underscorrr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dylan
I have had my lovebird for about two and a half weeks now, but he is still very, very scared of me. I spend pretty much my whole day around him, but every time I change his dishes, he pretty much runs to the opposite corner and squawks. Every time I go to talk with him, he runs to the corner of his cage and then moves around squawking on his top perch. The only way I can bribe him to come down off of it, is if I put a piece of millet in his food bowl, and he will eventually come down only taking one or two bites before heading back up. I need to know why he is acting the way he is, and how to calm him down. Every day I spend about an hour talking to him, but he still freaks out. He is an active bird, so health isn't an issue with him.

It gets to the point to where I cannot clean the bottom of his cage (anything above the grate) because he would freak out and fly out of his cage. I move very slow when I am around him, but he still goes to the opposite corner.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well since you bought him at a pet store, he probably wasn't handled for quite a while, or even well-socialized. (I've seen lovies go unsocialized at even the best places.) When young ones are left to themselves, they get skittish and avoidant very quickly and it can take a lot to build a relationship with them.

My Turnip was handled a lot when he was very young, but then not so much for the next few months of his life. I think that contributed to how leery and skittish he was when I brought him home. It took him a long time to bond to me. He's still a little nut, so some of that is personality, but socialization or lack thereof greatly affects how a bird interacts with people.

In other words, just remain patient and consistent. Try not to get discouraged.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Time and patience if he ever comes around. It can be frustrating try not to show it animals can sense it and you'll only prolong the process. Poor thing must of had a traumatic experience hopefully not with ypu

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
My two were very socialized before I brought them home. They would fly to me and land on me when I would go visit before I brought them home. They were still very scared and it took a while for them to bond with me. It was so hard on me! My sweet, tame babies turned into banshees! It took time, and lots of bribery to bring them around. They are very stubborn little birds, and it takes time for them to change their minds. Hang in there.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
He probably wasn't handfed and has no reason to trust you, he's just reacting as if you were a predator. You are doing the right things, you may need to give him just a little more space. For example, if he panics when you are 5 feet from the cage, then sit 10 feet from the cage. Say something specific, as a warning, before you go do anything that you know will scare him, like changing dishes or cleaning. Once he realizes that you are warning him, that will greatly reduce his stress since he will know what to expect.
Try not to stare at him or look at him directly for more than a few seconds. This is fine to do with tame birds, but for an essentially wild little bird, it makes you seem to predatory. Try to instead 'act shy' with him, looking away after a few seconds or kind of watching him out of the corner of your eye. Spend time near him doing quiet activities (reading, using the computer, ect.), talk to him now and then. He will eventually realize you don't mean to harm him and then he should start to enjoy your company. But it may take a few months.

Underscorrr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dylan
He probably wasn't handfed and has no reason to trust you, he's just reacting as if you were a predator. You are doing the right things, you may need to give him just a little more space. For example, if he panics when you are 5 feet from the cage, then sit 10 feet from the cage. Say something specific, as a warning, before you go do anything that you know will scare him, like changing dishes or cleaning. Once he realizes that you are warning him, that will greatly reduce his stress since he will know what to expect.
Try not to stare at him or look at him directly for more than a few seconds. This is fine to do with tame birds, but for an essentially wild little bird, it makes you seem to predatory. Try to instead 'act shy' with him, looking away after a few seconds or kind of watching him out of the corner of your eye. Spend time near him doing quiet activities (reading, using the computer, ect.), talk to him now and then. He will eventually realize you don't mean to harm him and then he should start to enjoy your company. But it may take a few months.
Yes, I spend most of my time on my computer, so, as stated, I'm not further than three feet away from his cage at all times. He is used to me doing my things while he does his things, but he just gets nervous if I get too close to his cage. He is coming around though. There has been an undeniable improvement from when I got him!

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Call his name softly.. Baylee loves to Hear her name lol also she is very spoiled to the point my mom was telling her friend about the alcohol drink called Baylee lol My fid started squealing like yes im here... I told her they aré not talKing about you... Lol... She looked at me like i was crazy. They definetly like extra attention.