• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent MY LOVEBIRD IS NOT DOING WELL NEED ADVICE

Kathy Widener

Moving in
My lovebird is 17 years old. I have given him mouth to mouth resuscitation a few times to bring him back to life. He was not breathing well and could not walk. I am wondering if he had a stroke. He is very thin. I have bought allot of high calorie food for him and it is not putting the weight back on. Taking him to the vet right now is not affordable for us, however, we will take him when we can. it costs $145 for just the office visit.

I am here today because I was doing a search to find answers to my questions regarding his health and wellness so I can possibly help him until I can get him to his Doctor. Yes he has his own doctor.

Does anyone know if there is a product that will give him more energy and put weight on as well as heart health products? Any advice will be much appreciated. I have taken very good care of him for 17 years. He is my baby birdy. I love him very much and would enjoy his company for another few years. I know lovebirds can live to be 20. I want him to live that long at least. forever really.

Peachy is his name.
Kathy

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
the only we can suggest is a avian vet asap. keep him warm, hydrated and in small cage. heating pad under half the cage, set to 95 degrees, put all the perches down low with food and water dishes low. cover the cage all but the front.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep him warm as described above. Is Peachy eating on his own at all? If not you need to get food into him. You can get handfeeding formula and if you've had no experience handfeeding than using a spoon would be a good idea. Also a small piece of toast or an unsalted cracker with a bit of almond butter on it. You can hold it for him and even eat your own peanut butter on a cracker or toast to tempt him. Are there any treats he likes a lot that will be tempting for him? Do you have millet you can offer him? If he is not getting any fluids then you may want to see if he would take a drop or two of pedialyte. Best thing is to get him to the vet ASAP. Maybe you can work out some kind of payment with the vet. The vet needs to determine what is wrong with him so he can be properly treated. Just getting food into him is probably not the solution.
Wishing the best for Peachy.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
You need to get him to the vet asap. Heating pads and lowering the perches and food dishes as suggested above. Some vet offices offer credit care or will work with you on a payment plan.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope you can find a way to take him to an avian vet. It sounds like he might be in critical condition. It's very apparent that you love him very much, and I hope he will be okay.:hug8:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
LaFeber's Emeraid Omnivore is a powder that you mix with water for feeding. It must be bought from your vet.
It sounds like you need to take him to the vet soon, he is struggling now.
:sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There is only so much you can do at home for your birds comfort. That is a mighty expensive vet. My avian vet charges much less. If you do as others suggest that is about all you can do at home. I would be very careful about any hand feeding because with a possible stroke you run the risk of aspiration. (food/fluid into lungs) At 17 years of age this birds body systems may just be shutting down. Just keep him comfortable or the other option an avian vet visit if you want treatment.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Taking him to the vet right now is not affordable for us, however, we will take him when we can
"When you can" is probably going to be too late. This is an emergency situation that needs attention now.
I know lovebirds can live to be 20. I want him to live that long at least
You have no control over this no matter how hard you wish. When our time is up, our time is up.

How is he doing now? It's been 12 hours since you posted.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope you lovie will be okay. You obviously have taken good care of him to have reached this age. Without a diagnosis, I don't really know what we can suggest. Other than keeping him warm and trying to get him to a vet. Food wise, millet spray and sunflower seeds may help add some weight if he will eat them.